Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The stream of environmental and labor rights news from Apple continues today with the company's release of its annual Supplier Responsibility Progress Report for 2012. The report details efforts to oversee working conditions and environmental responsibility at its suppliers around the world, and notes that the company conducted 229 audits during 2011 for an 80% increase over 2010's auditing levels.
In 2011, we conducted 229 audits throughout our supply chain -- an 80 percent increase over 2010 -- including more than 100 first-time audits. We continue to expand our program to reach deeper into our supply base, and this year we added more detailed and specialized audits that focus on safety and the environment.
The company notes that in 2011 it began a dedicated environmental auditing process to supplement the environmental checks that had previously been included in the standard auditing procedure. According to the company, third-party environmental engineering experts helped conduct audits at fourteen different facilities, and some violations were found.

apple_supplier_responsibilty_statement.jpg
Full details on the auditing results, including summaries of the various violations discovered in environmental and other areas, are available in the complete report (PDF).

Apple for the first time also published a list of 156 suppliers (PDF) representing 97% of the company's procurement expenditures. While no details on each company's role in Apple's supply chain is offered in the document, merely identifying the supply chain offers some improvement in transparency for the secretive company.

Update: The Wall Street Journal has a story on Apple's disclosures, including quotes from CEO Tim Cook.
"I have spent a lot of time in factories over my lifetime and we are clearly leading in this area," said Mr. Cook, previously Apple's chief operating officer who oversaw its supply chain. "It is like innovating in products. You can focus on things that are barriers or you can focus on scaling the wall or redefining the problem." [...]

The report found 108 facilities didn't pay proper overtime wages and 93 facilities had records that indicated more than 50% of their workers exceeded the 60-hour work week. The audits also found 5 facilities had incidents of underage labor.

"Working hours is a complex issue," said Mr. Cook, adding he's confident the company can improve in the area by "monitoring these plants at a very, very micro level."

"I know this is a journey," Mr. Cook said.

Article Link: Apple Releases 2012 Supplier Responsibility Progress Report and Supplier List

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
Last edited:

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Exactly, damage control. Though I know it will never happen, it would be great if they would share the results of these audits.

What computer did you post this from, and where can I find the full audits of every component? How about your clothes? And your food? After all, you seem to think it's your business to know everything about everything.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Exactly, damage control. Though I know it will never happen, it would be great if they would share the results of these audits.

Huh? Read for comprehension. Those stories were about xbox workers. The audit result has been in preparation and has been released.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Well, Apple just did. And after reading their report, "damage control" seems to me a malicious misinterpretation of what Apple is doing.

Apple doing a good job of covering their asses.

Same here. I'd say Apple doing a good job helping employees who have been exploited by agencies (forcing suppliers to pay $3.3 million dollars this year to such employees), forcing employers to uphold basic worker rights, even when not required by their country's law, and even for workers not involved with Apple products, and forcing employers to stop damaging the environment.

Good to see, but what Apple can do here is rather limited.

How is it limited? Obviously Apple can't force them to do anything, but Apple can and does say: "Behave appropriately, or you are not going to do any business with Apple anymore". And in several cases they said: "You didn't behave appropriately, so our business with you is finished".

Last edited:

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
The workers there also make Apple products.

Foxconn employees in that factory city may make aapl products, but those workers were specifically x box workers. That incident had nothing to do with aapl:

"Dozens of workers assembling Xbox video game consoles climbed to a factory dormitory roof, and some threatened to jump to their deaths, in a dispute over job transfers that was defused but highlights growing labor unrest as China's economy slows.

The dispute was set off after contract manufacturer Foxconn Technology Group announced it would close the assembly line for Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 models at its plant in the central city of Wuhan and transfer the workers to other jobs, workers and Foxconn said Thursday."

----------

corning glass is not on the list of suppliers

that should put the gorilla glass rumors to rest, no?

The glass technology could be licensed by GLW to another manufacturer specifically making displays for aapl.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002

So what? What do Apple's findings have to do with XBox production lines? It was never made clear that the facility in Wuhan also makes Apple's products. Apple certainly can't be expected to monitor an entire company, especially one the size of Hon Hai Precision (Foxconn) which employs almost million people. All any company can do is make sure the facilities where their products are made are up to certain standards.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

You should have read the article. The issue isn't working conditions - its declining manufacturing orders. In other words, its exactly the situation that might be brought about by some moralistic boycott. I somehow doubt though that the do-gooders would have put these (very unlikely) suicides on their own conscience.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Are these violations of Chinese environmental laws, or are the plants expected to meet US standards? These may be violations of very weak standards that amount to very little protection at best in the first place.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006

No. Here's a list, which I'm sure is incomplete:

"Principal Subsidiaries

CCS Holdings, Inc.; Chengdu CCS Optical Fiber Cable Co., Ltd. (China); Corning (Australia) Partnership Holdings, GP (Australia); Corning (Shanghai) Co. Ltd. (China); Corning Cable Systems GmbH & Co. KG (Germany); Corning Cable Systems International Corp.; Corning Cable Systems International Ltd. (Cayman Islands); Corning Cable Systems LLC; Corning Cable Systems Brand, Inc.; Corning Cable Systems Polska Sp. Z o.o. (Poland); Corning Cable Systems Vermogensverwaltungs GmbH (Germany); Corning Costar Holding, LLC; Corning Display Technologies Taiwan Co., Ltd.; Corning Gilbert Inc.; Corning GmbH (Germany); Corning Holding GmbH (Germany); Corning Hungary Data Services, LLC (Hungary); Corning International Corporation; Corning International Holding, LLC; Corning Japan KK; Corning Ltd. (United Kingdom); Corning Mauritius; Corning NetOptix, Inc.; Corning Noble Park, LLC (Australia); Corning Oak Holding, Inc.; Corning Products South Africa (Pty) Ltd. (South Africa); Corning Property Management Corp.; Corning S.A.S. (France); Corning Specialty Materials, Inc.; Corning Tropel Corp.; Costar Europe Ltd.; Norddeutsche Seekabelwerke GmbH & Co. KG (Germany); Optical Fiber Corporation; Dow Corning Corporation (50%); Samsung Corning Precision Glass Co., Ltd. (Korea; 50%); Samsung Corning Co., Ltd. (Korea; 50%); Pittsburgh Corning Corporation (50%).

Principal Operating Units

Display Technologies; Telecommunications; Environmental Technologies; Life Sciences."

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

With your ridiculous logic, I should sue Motorola because I don't like a purchase I made at Sears, since they are both based in Illinois. After all, since they are in the same state, they MUST be in cahoots, right? In fact, I heard a rumor on a progressive blog once that Moto Razr was made by the Kenmore people in sweat shops! BOYCOTT! I'll just go buy products from Vegan Industrial.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
This is great news, and very progressive. Anyone who doesn't think so must have some internal desire for Apple to do no right.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

How is it limited? Obviously Apple can't force them to do anything, but Apple can and does say: "Behave appropriately, or you are not going to do any business with Apple anymore". And in several cases they said: "You didn't behave appropriately, so our business with you is finished".

If only it were that simple.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

Apple doesn’t specifically push the “Gorilla Glass” brand in their marketing message currently, but they still sell one model where they did mention that brand: the 3GS. So Corning’s absence from the list probably doesn’t mean what you think.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Obviously Apple can't force them to do anything, but Apple can and does say: "Behave appropriately, or you are not going to do any business with Apple anymore". And in several cases they said: "You didn't behave appropriately, so our business with you is finished".

And the suppliers will say "good-by, I'll make stuff for Widowz and Android instead. If you want us to meet these conditions, you (Apple) will have to pay us more for our products to cover the cost difference".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.