Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Hi guys,

A VERY annoying bug in my FCPX. Im working on a project that has lots of random source material, mainly .mp4. Its a quick edit grunge type video/trailer only 2 mins long. Lots of the "bad tv" plugin and tv interference etc type stuff.

The project was coming along fine then suddenly a trim, moving a file or moving some text would cause the preview window to go black. I can't see any of the video unless I restarted FCPX (even then sometimes this doesn't work) if I close the project in FCPX it'll play back fine in the preview window from the open projects section (random?)

Its not rendering anything in the background when this occurs and the CPU isn't doing anything either.

As I said I have lots of varied clips in variable quality, a couple of pictures, a light transition effect in one point (which seems particularly CPU intensive) plenty of the bad tv effect (and a couple of others) and some titles. But thats all.

Doesn't' seem anyone else has this bug on the net. But as soon as I find, for instance a trim that cause it its reproducible. If I undo the trim, the video comes back, if I do the trim again, it disappears. Very annoying!

Any idea what could be causing it? Is it the plugins, my title text (they have bad TV on too…) something else? Anyone else aware of this?

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Same thing here...

Just happened to me (at least it sounds like the same problem).

I was editing for most of today, then the 'viewer' went black. I can hear the audio, but there's not video. It's all there in the 'timeline' down the bottom: the video and audio.

If I slide back to the 'project library', and load up one of my other films-in-edit, the problem doesn't carry across to any if these films. I can even watch the problem video from the project library, but as soon as I double-click to open it in the timeline I encounter the same, damn frustrating problem: I can't see the video.

Help! Anyone!! Many thanks...

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
danny and Blue you both on iMacs?
Sorry Ive only used FCPX on MBP and MPs.
I did teach FCPX at local college last Fall and they were using iMacs.
Didnt run into that problem and we had a lot hours logged in.
however all footage was strictly ProRes HQ.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Tried 'command' 1 then 'command' 2 but to no avail.

It flashed to source video in the event browser (which played perfectly in the 'viewer', then pressed command 2 and back to the same audio only, video-less 'viewer'.

It simply doesn't make sense! Working fine one minute (many many minutes before that), then it went black and no way to fix it. It'll probably be something so very simple that needs to be done, but I can't find it!

----------

danny and Blue you both on iMacs?
Sorry Ive only used FCPX on MBP and MPs.
I did teach FCPX at local college last Fall and they were using iMacs.
Didnt run into that problem and we had a lot hours logged in.
however all footage was strictly ProRes HQ.

Actually, I'm using a MacBook on the move these last few hours, but I was editing all day at home on an iMac. Could the problem be the computer model? Doesn't make sense but I'll give it a try when I get home later.

By the way, do you enjoy FCPX, knowing it as you do? Has it grown on you? Or have you become frustrated with some of its current limitations?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
What kind of footage are you working with?
If you can try transcoding them all to ProRes (anyone is fine).

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Nope so far so good with FCPX.
I dont use it as much as my key apps (Maya and After Effects) but when I do, I except it to just work.
During my classes it went over well considering the class had basic learnings of FCP7.
I gave them the option to continue with learning FCP7 or try FCPX.
Either way I would have been paid for the time :)
Yes there are a ton of missing options but no one is putting a gun to anyones head on using it.
My work is Avid based but I use FCPX for quick and dirty jobs.
Plus the fact that its the only current software here that can edit 4K video.
Havent upgraded to Avid MC 6 yet. waiting till all the smoke clears on that.
FCPX is fun to use and does what I want it to do.
Its not for everyone yet but it bugs me when I hear everyone and I mean everyone slagging it and their all just hobbyists.

Its like a monkey see monkey do world on the internet :p

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Tried 'command' 1 then 'command' 2 but to no avail.
Shame! It helps me when I lost audio in the timeline on one (and only one) project.

MacBook? You mean a McBook or a MacBook Pro? If it is a MacBook, you found the solution to your problem already - it is not supported.
I have, just for fun, installed FCP X on my old C2D iMac. It works like molasses on this machine, but croaks out whenever OpenGL is needed.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Shame! It helps me when I lost audio in the timeline on one (and only one) project.

MacBook? You mean a McBook or a MacBook Pro? If it is a MacBook, you found the solution to your problem already - it is not supported.
I have, just for fun, installed FCP X on my old C2D iMac. It works like molasses on this machine, but croaks out whenever OpenGL is needed.

But the minimum specs for FCPX are a Mac computer with an intel core 2 duo, 2gb of RAM (4gb recommended). This MacBook meets these requirements. Could it be the graphics card? The VRAM? If it's not compatible then it's weird that I was able use FCPX for several hours then encounter a ptoblem. The MacBook's about 2 to 2 1/2 years old. Maybe even 3.

Anyhow, I'm heading home now to try everything again on my more sturdy and more recent imac. Cheers.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Same on iMac

Just connected the external with the FCPX content and the same damn problem: black screen in viewer, but can clearly hear the audio.

Must be a setting somewhere, but which one I don't know.

Will play around some more, hoping...:(

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I have experienced this problem, it was usually caused by adding a certain clip or image into the timeline, then the preview window would go black. The only way I was able to fix it is to undo the change that made it go black. I know that isn't very helpful but I was able to manipulate the way in which I would put the file in the timeline (add a longer segment to end of timeline, then trim it down, then place it where it belongs instead of trying to place it in the right spot directly) which would sometimes make it work without causing the window to go black.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I have experienced this problem, it was usually caused by adding a certain clip or image into the timeline, then the preview window would go black. The only way I was able to fix it is to undo the change that made it go black. I know that isn't very helpful but I was able to manipulate the way in which I would put the file in the timeline (add a longer segment to end of timeline, then trim it down, then place it where it belongs instead of trying to place it in the right spot directly) which would sometimes make it work without causing the window to go black.

Thanks for this. Will give it a try.

Reckon a new, more comprehensive update of FCPX is due ASAP. A fleshier '10.1' with some major fixes, no more '10.0.?' updates, IMO.

I'm starting to really like what Apple have done with the new, built-from-scratch Final Cut Pro, but those at mission control really need to get on top of the problems - faster - and add a few or several of the missing key features I hear some pros complaining about.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Bingo! That fixed it. But I didn't think different video would cause such a problem. Isn't the point of setting up the format in settings for a particular project the 'template' for any imported footage? that they'll be converted to the settings in place for that project?

Anyhow, I'll re-format the 'dodgy' footage and try it again. It was only 40 minutes of editing, so shouldn't be as much time the in the 2nd attempt. Many thanks.

PS. is this a problem that can be fixed by Apple? or is this a something unavoidable in the DNA of the program?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
In my experience it only happened with certain footage grabbed from YouTube clips or some images downloaded from Google Images, never has occurred with my own footage. Another feature I would like is a toggle button for the 'snap to grid' feature while cropping or using Ken Burns. I cannot seem to find one so if anyone else knows how please let me know !

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
But the minimum specs for FCPX are a Mac computer with an intel core 2 duo, 2gb of RAM (4gb recommended). This MacBook meets these requirements. Could it be the graphics card? The VRAM? If it's not compatible then it's weird that I was able use FCPX for several hours then encounter a ptoblem. The MacBook's about 2 to 2 1/2 years old. Maybe even 3.

Anyhow, I'm heading home now to try everything again on my more sturdy and more recent imac. Cheers.
FCP X needs a GPU with OpenGL support. The MacBooks doesn't have it. OpenGl is not needed for basic operation of FCP X, but for effects and composition.

If it is a plastic MacBook, you can be 100% sure it won't work. Look what GPU it has and compare it to FCP's spec list.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Sorry dipped out of this thread, but lots of action to catch up on.

Im on iMac yes, with the 2gb uprated Radeon card.

Doesn't appear to be card related though - as some pointed out sometimes dragging a clip into the window can happen. This is what I noticed the first time. I was working with lots of footage from Youtube (also mentioned) lots of little clips ripped in .mp4 format.

Im think its a sporadic thing. Someone mentioned that removing the clip that caused it took the problem away. That was the same with me. However I must have reinserted that clip and got away with it. However when I was trimming other clips or moving them around it would trigger it again. At that point I couldn't tell which of the 50 or so clips was the problem one and the only thing that would get the output back was undoing the last edit.

I would say its a bonified bug if you ask me, that needs fixing. But I suppose the work around is to hope that the problem footage caused the issue when you first insert it so you can reconvert it (how and where though?) and just hope it doesn't happen like it did with me, where you have lots of footage and you're not sure which clip has caused it!

JayRey

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
I know this seems to have been fixed. But I just had something similar happen to me and my silly mistake was that my view was set to "Wireframe" and not "image + wireframe"

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
this only happens to me when using mp4 files, not impressed.. also the mp4s seem fine in the timeline once cut however when exported clips overlap and then i get one image of one video throughout the whole video rendering mp4 editing useless for me, i actually use motion now to edit and export mp4 files.. but mov's are a doddle.. win some lose some

Nov 28, 2010
located
this only happens to me when using mp4 files, not impressed.. also the mp4s seem fine in the timeline once cut however when exported clips overlap and then i get one image of one video throughout the whole video rendering mp4 editing useless for me, i actually use motion now to edit and export mp4 files.. but mov's are a doddle.. win some lose some

Or you could let FCP X transcode the videos into ProRes 422 .mov files, which should get rid of such problems, as .mp4 files use the H.264 codec, which is not an editing codec and does not store every frame, but only keyframes, which means, the frames between those keyframes are interpolated.

Video Compression
Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
Or you could let FCP X transcode the videos into ProRes 422 .mov files, which should get rid of such problems, as .mp4 files use the H.264 codec, which is not an editing codec and does not store every frame, but only keyframes, which means, the frames between those keyframes are interpolated.

Video Compression
Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

I use pro res 4444? should i not be doing so?

keatonprice

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
Any Fixes?

Have there been any other workarounds found? I'm running FCP X on a mid 2010 MBP with an i5 chip and 8gb of memory.

No matter what I try nothing will play in the preview window. I've tried the 1 and 2 as well as transcoding. The video files I've imported are MOV files taken directly off of a canon 7D.

The weird thing is that now the entire app slows way down when trying to preview, and I am forced to quit it after a few minutes. I've worked on several projects with much larger video files on this machine and never had a problem. Do you think I need to reinstall the app?

Thanks so much for any response.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Have there been any other workarounds found? I'm running FCP X on a mid 2010 MBP with an i5 chip and 8gb of memory.

No matter what I try nothing will play in the preview window. I've tried the 1 and 2 as well as transcoding. The video files I've imported are MOV files taken directly off of a canon 7D.

The weird thing is that now the entire app slows way down when trying to preview, and I am forced to quit it after a few minutes. I've worked on several projects with much larger video files on this machine and never had a problem. Do you think I need to reinstall the app?

What are your specs? Ive been running 10.0.3 and prev since it was released on a MacBook Pro 2009 Uni 17".
Sure it slows down when Im dealing with ProRes4444 4k files but not HD at ProRes422HQ.
Im also using a eSATA with a 1TB GSpeed mini.
Try and limit your Events and Projects.
I think I have my video card set to stun :)

thebopper

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
Found something!

I had this problem over the weekend, turns out it has something to do with the "transform" section in the inspector, it should be turned off unless you're dealing with scale and position. That said, somehow it randomly turned on in all of my cuts and changed the scale on everything in my sequence to zero (making the preview screen black). It also somehow corrupted the project; I went back to my previous backup in time machine, but you could also copy and paste your sequence into a new project and remove the transform key there.

Hope this helps!

JonathanCLT

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Think I found workaround...

I'm just getting started in FCPX, but I just ran into this same problem on my first project. I deleted the render files for the project and let it re-render and my video is back now. Depending on the complexity of the project, this may be simpler than some of the other solutions here.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Beta

At this stage of the game FCPX to me is still beta even though we're using for everything even up to Broadcast.
But its Beta in a sense that bugs will occur.
Man CS3 and CS4 was beta till the bitter end in my books :p
It took till CS5 for AE and Premiere Pro to start acting like real Professional software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.