Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Can an iPad be hooked up to a projector to show PowerPoint presentations, word documents, or media?

I hook up my MBP to an Epson projector at work via USB. Can this be done w/ the iPad? (Obviously not by USB...lol.)

When I show video clips from my MBP via the projector and hook up external speakers, I plug the speaker jack thing into the audio in/out on the MBP. Would that work the same way with the iPad, if I can, in fact, do this?

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Can an iPad be hooked up to a projector to show PowerPoint presentations, word documents, or media?

I hook up my MBP to an Epson projector at work via USB. Can this be done w/ the iPad? (Obviously not by USB...lol.)

When I show video clips from my MBP via the projector and hook up external speakers, I plug the speaker jack thing into the audio in/out on the MBP. Would that work the same way with the iPad, if I can, in fact, do this?

Yes.
Apple sells 30 pin connecter (the iPad connector) to vga
30 pin connector to HDMI
and 30 pin connector to component/composite

iPads (unless you have onlive) cant have powerpoint or word.
They have to have pages/keynote.
They can play tv shows/movies

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Yes.
Apple sells 30 pin connecter (the iPad connector) to vga
30 pin connector to HDMI
and 30 pin connector to component/composite

iPads (unless you have onlive) cant have powerpoint or word.
They have to have pages/keynote.
They can play tv shows/movies

Btw - wondering - is the hdmi cable hdcp compliant? If so then I assume it would play iTunes proper content, but not user installed stuff? Too lazy to check Apple's website...

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Sure! It's my preferred presentation platform-- and I give a lot of presentations. Keynote is the software you'll use, and it's wonderful. It absolutely spanks PowerPoint. Beautiful transitions, and the built in pointer is nifty. It's only real limitation is lack of support for embedded animations and videos. I find I don't really miss those.

I'm not aware of a USB connector though. I use the VGA dongle.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Thanks guys! I could get the 30 pin to HDMI connector then. Can I play any .mp4 files (i.e.: ipod/ipad formatted DVD/TV show rips) from the iPad to the projector? TIA :)

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
I know it is more money, but an Apple TV would be pretty sweet if your projector has HDMI. Airplay anything you want then wirelessly!

Bolo4u

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but Im glad I found it. I will look for the dongle to adapt the iPad to a projector. However, my question focuses on the presentation file itself. I have online, cloud on, and dropbox, but I haven't yet installed Keynote. I understand the idea of uploading the presentation file(s) (Powerpoint) to a cloud/dropbox for later 'downloading'. However I will be doing some presentations in areas where I will not have any coverage (wi-fi or cellular). Is there a program that will store the files I need for presentations on the iPad directly when I don't have any coverage. I have readdledocs for some PDF files i need.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but Im glad I found it. I will look for the dongle to adapt the iPad to a projector. However, my question focuses on the presentation file itself. I have online, cloud on, and dropbox, but I haven't yet installed Keynote. I understand the idea of uploading the presentation file(s) (Powerpoint) to a cloud/dropbox for later 'downloading'. However I will be doing some presentations in areas where I will not have any coverage (wi-fi or cellular). Is there a program that will store the files I need for presentations on the iPad directly when I don't have any coverage. I have readdledocs for some PDF files i need.

Load it in Pages, save a copy within Pages, then you can use it anywhere with or without a connection.

Note to all: depending on the complexity of your Powerpoint slides, it may require some adjustment to work perfectly within Pages, as the feature sets are not identical between Powerpoint and Pages.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks guys! I could get the 30 pin to HDMI connector then. Can I play any .mp4 files (i.e.: ipod/ipad formatted DVD/TV show rips) from the iPad to the projector? TIA :)

I play movies in m4v made with Handbrake from mkv files without any problems using the 30pin to HDMI connector from Apple, they work on iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPad 1 and iPad 2 ;)

Bolo4u

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
Load it in Pages, save a copy within Pages, then you can use it anywhere with or without a connection.

Note to all: depending on the complexity of your Powerpoint slides, it may require some adjustment to work perfectly within Pages, as the feature sets are not identical between Powerpoint and Pages.

Thanks for the info, but do you mean Pages or Keynote, since it is a PowerPoint presentation???

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
iPad airplay mirroring to AppleTV2 -> Projector would be wireless and sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.