Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:46 PM   #26
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
And the suppliers will say "good-by, I'll make stuff for Widowz and Android instead. If you want us to meet these conditions, you (Apple) will have to pay us more for our products to cover the cost difference".
Making the assumption that they would find other customers. Imagine Greenpeace saying "why is company X using Y as a supplier, when Apple cancelled their contract with Y because they are exploiting their employees and destroying the environment"?
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:52 PM   #27
MattOfStLouis
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgo View Post
Are these violations of Chinese environmental laws, or are the plants expected to meet US standards? These may be violations of very weak standards that amount to very little protection at best in the first place.
I think they mean violations of Chinese environmental laws. I have done a good deal of work in China's environmental sector (several years), and I'd be fine with that standard. China generally has strong environmental laws but enforcement is very spotty.

Large, rich, foreign, and non-state owned companies (like Apple's suppliers) are more likely to be held to strict compliance. Richer provinces (where most Apple products are made) also are much better at enforcing their environmental laws. The bad polluters tend to be state owned companies or locally owned factories in poorer regions.
MattOfStLouis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:08 AM   #28
markcres
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southport, UK
Be under no illusion fanboys. Apple is ONLY interested in making money. It does not care about the people who make their products. They will only grudgingly pay lip-service to the issues of human rights and dignity for the sake of PR. If slavery was still legal in the US then Apple would likely have the greatest number of forced labor workhouses in the US operating 24/7. Their products are brilliant but their morals stink. Apple have the financial and political clout to change things for the better for asian workers overnight....but the shareholders would go ape and the CEO would be fired. Their agenda has only one single item...to make as much money as possible at whatever cost. You would have to be naive to think otherwise.
markcres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:15 AM   #29
iAmYou
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittStop View Post
Well Foxconn is not on the list either. So must be under a different name.
from the list
Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd. (Foxconn)
iAmYou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:25 AM   #30
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcres View Post
Be under no illusion fanboys. Apple is ONLY interested in making money. It does not care about the people who make their products. They will only grudgingly pay lip-service to the issues of human rights and dignity for the sake of PR. If slavery was still legal in the US then Apple would likely have the greatest number of forced labor workhouses in the US operating 24/7. Their products are brilliant but their morals stink. Apple have the financial and political clout to change things for the better for asian workers overnight....but the shareholders would go ape and the CEO would be fired. Their agenda has only one single item...to make as much money as possible at whatever cost. You would have to be naive to think otherwise.
And what evidence do you have for your opinion?

There are some companies in the world that refuse to make money their top priority, and as a result end up being highly successful and making tons of money. That usually happens when a company makes customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction their top priority. Many people don't get it. Most CEO's don't get it. But Steve Jobs did get it, and Tim Cook would have to be a complete moron if he hadn't figured it out yet. There are other companies as well. Motto: "If you look after your customers, and you look after your employees, then the stock will look after the shareholders all by itself".

Summary: You don't have a clue what you are talking about.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:42 AM   #31
ZipZapRap
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I think it's very telling about our Western society in general, that topics like this on Macrumors, get a couple of pages comment at most, yet talk about anything related to the tech, Android, whatever, and you get 10-20 pages.

Very sad.
ZipZapRap is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:07 PM   #32
ade2bee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
And what evidence do you have for your opinion?

There are some companies in the world that refuse to make money their top priority, and as a result end up being highly successful and making tons of money. That usually happens when a company makes customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction their top priority. Many people don't get it. Most CEO's don't get it. But Steve Jobs did get it, and Tim Cook would have to be a complete moron if he hadn't figured it out yet. There are other companies as well. Motto: "If you look after your customers, and you look after your employees, then the stock will look after the shareholders all by itself".

Summary: You don't have a clue what you are talking about.
I think it would be naive to think otherwise
ade2bee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:19 PM   #33
ed724
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcres View Post
Be under no illusion fanboys. Apple is ONLY interested in making money. It does not care about the people who make their products.
And if you started a company and employed people, your soul purpose would be to take care of the workers. Think about your first sentence real carefully.
ed724 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:02 PM   #34
nutjob
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Good to see, but what Apple can do here is rather limited.
Yes, since Apple is paying the suppliers they have very little control over them, much like employers have little control over their employees.
nutjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:14 AM   #35
*LTD*
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
Yes, since Apple is paying the suppliers they have very little control over them, much like employers have little control over their employees.
It isn't that simple.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:38 AM   #36
Squidoo02
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Does anyone know who within Apple's management structure oversees supplier responsibility? I can't find anything at all about a corporate citizenship team, and while I know there's a "Supplier Responsibility" team, can't figure out who they roll up to.
Squidoo02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Report Examines Labor Violations at Apple Supplier's Malaysian Plant MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 72 Nov 11, 2013 05:01 AM
Apple Forms Supplier Responsibility Academic Advisory Board MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 7 Jul 26, 2013 06:14 PM
LG is now the only supplier of the Retina Display to Apple? aware MacBook Pro 3 Dec 9, 2012 04:09 PM
Apple to Require 'Made for iPhone' Program Accessory Manufacturers to Meet Supplier Responsibility Code MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 48 Nov 9, 2012 02:18 PM
Apple Will Be Only Supplier of New Dock Connector Adapter MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 309 Sep 18, 2012 05:13 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC