Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Just curious if anyone's bought a machine out of BB's open box system and subsequently had to deal with warranty issues on it and if so how it's handled.

Picked up one yesterday for the wife, and no issues with it, just per Apple's system its warranty began Sept 6th 2011. This will obviously affect Applecare if I buy it, and any warranty end dates forthcoming.

Thanks.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Just buy the Best Buy warranty with it. Covers accidental damage. Completely worth it.

For the most part I think that open box items are a good deal. A lot of time somebody simply opened the box and for whatever reason had to return the item. Usually nothing wrong with the item at all. Even so, it's likely still under manufacturer's warranty anyway.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just curious if anyone's bought a machine out of BB's open box system and subsequently had to deal with warranty issues on it and if so how it's handled.

Picked up one yesterday for the wife, and no issues with it, just per Apple's system its warranty began Sept 6th 2011. This will obviously affect Applecare if I buy it, and any warranty end dates forthcoming.

Thanks.
The Apple warranty start date is determined by when the item is first sold. It isn't reset on subsequent resales.

chillfrilla

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
i saw an open box 13inch macbook pro.

it was covered in fingerprints and the keys looked oily.

def did not look like 14days .

rather buy new and buy applecare.

best buy warrenties are full of bs and a waste of money

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
i certainly can tell you about my experience. bought an early 2011 base 13" macbook pro from BB open box. for a steal price of $800. absolute mint shape. registered it with apple and bought applecare. no problems. the registration with apple begins when it was shipped from apple to BB. in my case it was shipped in late july and i bought it in october, so i lost about three months of the one year warranty. otherwise i am fully covered for the remaining 9 months and then full applecare. BTW the best deal on applecare is from B&H NOT apple. the BB open box deal is great. i had bought a refurb mbp from apple but it arrived dented and i returned it. at BB I got to examine three or four of the open box units and picked mine. plus i got the 18 month deal on my card, apple's was 12 months for a computer over 999. BB was $429 and over. so all around it was unbeatable. plus with the BB cars you get discounts and deals etc.

Thanks.

Last edited:

sogreedy23

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
FWIW, I'd give it a shot anyway. I purchased an early 2011 15" from Amazon Warehouse Deals, the invoice clearly states "used-like new" and from Amazon Warehouse Deals. Apple pushed the date of purchase (and hence the start of the warranty) to the actual day I received the macbook, which was December 30th. Its worth a shot, no sense in not trying because theres no harm in it.

Good luck with it!

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana

Thanks.

I work at best buy in geeksquad...so the warranties are my expertise. Buying open box doesn't affect warranties. All you need to do is send in your recipet to apple and they will allow it to start warranty from day you purchased it.. Also I wouldn't recommend best buys warranty, unless you are getting accidental because apple doesnt offer it. Let me know if you have any questions

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That is incorrect. I bought mine from the Amazon warehouse deals and Apple reset the full warranty to my purchase date [ Dec 30 2011 ] from Sept 2011 [original purchase date].
A refurbished sale is different from the sale of a used model. Apple provides new warranties on refurb models, as well.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Also I wouldn't recommend best buys warranty, unless you are getting accidental because apple doesnt offer it. Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks. In our case it's a current gen iMac, so I'm not concerned with accidental damage too much. I'll do the applecare thing for sure. With two kids in college I can usually get the edu discount or run it through my employer and get a pretty smoking price on it.

----------

A refurbished sale is different from the sale of a used model. Apple provides new warranties on refurb models, as well.

The amazon warehouse deals weren't refurbs though, they were returns. Clearly one of those subjects where it's probably best to call Apple. I'll check on what their official line is and let everyone know. Thanks for the responses everyone.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA

Thanks.

Nope.

Do some web searching for how Best Buy uses their warranty to deliver "comparable technology" replacements. Which means if a low-end with a similar processor exists, they will give you a $600 cheapie Windows PC instead of a $1800 iMac or whatever.

YMMV and some stores have staff that do replace hardware with the same brand, but the micro-print does say "similar hardware". Not "similar brand". Or "comparable technology". It's a classic bait-and-switch.

The following is astoundingly bad:

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Manufacturer-Warranties-and/Black-Tie-warranty-on-mac-pro/td-p/54293

Note the Best Buy employee's responses, trying to duck the issue by saying "I would venture to say". No way would I trust that at face value. The customer asked point blank for precise details and got an empty runaround, based on assumptions, in return. That is unacceptable.

Some BB stores would be ethical and exchange one Mac for another Mac, but others will definitely point out "comparable technology" and you'd get a $700 low-end Windows PC instead. You might want to check out your local area BBs and ask. Or get something definitive in writing to cover your back. Some people are unethical. It's unfortunate, but it's the world as we've allowed it to become.

Oh, the last Mac I bought - I listened to their bafflegab and asked them point blank about the fine print when they brought up the warranty.

Needless to say, I went to Apple and bought AppleCare instead. Apple I trust. Best Buy... You might get a Worst Purchase, in this regard. They do honor their warranties, but the Mac/PC issue - especially with identical processor technologies - is just a breeding ground for trouble. Someone there MIGHT try to take you for a ride and, again, I asked someone point blank at a store and got them to stammer. They are told to sell based on the allure. Get them on the fine print and they will not know what to do. Get a manager to write on paper "If the Mac fails, use the plan specifically for another Mac." You know that won't happen...

AppleCare I'd heartily recommend...

Lastly, re: BB:

• If we determine in our sole discretion that your product cannot be repaired, we will replace it with a product of like kind and quality that is of comparable performance or reimburse you for replacement of the product with a voucher or gift card, at our discretion, equal to the current retail value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes.
• Technological advances may result in a replacement product with a lower selling price than the original product.

(emphasis added)

Call apple and have them adjust your start date of coverage.

Seconded.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Nope.

Do some web searching for how Best Buy uses their warranty to deliver "comparable technology" replacements. Which means if a low-end with a similar processor exists, they will give you a $600 cheapie Windows PC instead of a $1800 iMac or whatever.

YMMV and some stores have staff that do replace hardware with the same brand, but the micro-print does say "similar hardware". Not "similar brand". Or "comparable technology". It's a classic bait-and-switch.

The following is astoundingly bad:

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Manufacturer-Warranties-and/Black-Tie-warranty-on-mac-pro/td-p/54293

Note the Best Buy employee's responses, trying to duck the issue by saying "I would venture to say". No way would I trust that at face value. The customer asked point blank for precise details and got an empty runaround, based on assumptions, in return. That is unacceptable.

Some BB stores would be ethical and exchange one Mac for another Mac, but others will definitely point out "comparable technology" and you'd get a $700 low-end Windows PC instead. You might want to check out your local area BBs and ask. Or get something definitive in writing to cover your back. Some people are unethical. It's unfortunate, but it's the world as we've allowed it to become.

Oh, the last Mac I bought - I listened to their bafflegab and asked them point blank about the fine print when they brought up the warranty.

Needless to say, I went to Apple and bought AppleCare instead. Apple I trust. Best Buy... You might get a Worst Purchase, in this regard. They do honor their warranties, but the Mac/PC issue - especially with identical processor technologies - is just a breeding ground for trouble. Someone there MIGHT try to take you for a ride and, again, I asked someone point blank at a store and got them to stammer. They are told to sell based on the allure. Get them on the fine print and they will not know what to do. Get a manager to write on paper "If the Mac fails, use the plan specifically for another Mac." You know that won't happen...

AppleCare I'd heartily recommend...

Lastly, re: BB:

(emphasis added)

Seconded.

They WILL NOT give you a windows computer if you buy a mac. Thats a blatant lie. They give you a mac with comparable specs.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

Thanks.

I purchased a 2011 iMac Open Box from BB - Opened it up and it was the 2010 Model. Was I mad? Nope - gave me a good argument to receive a brand new sealed 2011 iMac. Glad I recorded the unboxing. Deal turned out good. I believe BB has a special for Open Box items right now. Someone posted the coupon here on the forum few days ago. Search it.

Warranty - Call AppleCare they will move date - If first rep doesn't - call back:)

Also Amazon Warehouse Deals can be amazing. Prices change. Several of us purchased the high end 15 early 2011 MBP for 1330 shipped - its now 1604 from them. FYI - Amazing customer service. Any problem they will make it right.

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
You don't even need to call Apple. When you register it will state that there is a problem registering, and prompt you to send them a scanned receipt (I took a pic with my iPhone) and within 2 days it was reset to the correct date.

As to warranty. My open box was actually the display. The ":" key was messed up. Scheduled an appt with the local Genius and they replaced it on the spot.

Personally I wouldn't opt for Best Buy warranty. If you must get a warranty look at apple care or square trade.

And yes there is a deal right now on open box. Google for the coupon, its $100 off the open box price.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Id probably just go with applecare as your warranty of choice, but with that being said the best buy warranty isn't all that bad.

tbear1

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
Call apple and have them adjust your start date of coverage.
I didn't buy an open box, but can verify that apple will adjust your warranty date. I had to provide copies of the best buy receipt to Apple, but they moved it.

glenn

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
FYI everyone..

Called Apple, and had to send a scanned copy of the receipt but they indeed reset the warranty date. No issues at all.

And in the interim realized that the 4gb of memory I pulled out of my Macbook for the upgrade to 16gb indeed fit her iMac so it's sporting 8gb (which she'll NEVER make use of) And got Applecare for it under EDU for $119 direct from Apple.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the tip about the receipt to apple to get the warranty extended...i just did it. I bought mine from amazon warehouse as a return as well.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
I just did this as well. I initially just scanned my receipt and sent it in via the online tool at apple.com/support but didn't hear back for a few days so I called in and the rep I talked to said it cannot be done because I "bought the computer at a discounted price". So I had given up but then I got an email from Apple saying they've reset the purchase date so don't give up if one rep doesn't help!

RC85

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
Corn Field USA
My first 13" Early 2011 model was an open box. Got it home and it had a dead LCD. I returned it to Micro Center and since it was $100 less than the none opened they weren't able to give a new at the same price, but they did give a $50 gift card which paid for most of my Magic Mouse :)

I did exchange it for the new one. Since I got a $50 gift card it turned out be a good deal b/c it got me the Magic Mouse, lol.

I also have the two accidental damage warranty through Micro Center, ead the fine print and seems like a decent deal.

I am not a fan of open box items unless it's an item under $300 or so. Hope all goes well.

scottk1215

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
I purchased an Open Box model on March 23rd at Best Buy. Told it had only been previously purchased shortly before (within a month). I have since needed to contact Apple's Support but found out I was unable to change the purchase date because it was open box and it was actually originally sold at Best Buy on November 26th of 2011. Attempts to get a hold of Best Buy customer service have been fruitless in terms of replacing the MBAir with another one or some other kind of resolution. Apple won't reset the purchase date even when sending them the digital receipt best buy sent me.

Any ideas?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I purchased an Open Box model on March 23rd at Best Buy. Told it had only been previously purchased shortly before (within a month). I have since needed to contact Apple's Support but found out I was unable to change the purchase date because it was open box and it was actually originally sold at Best Buy on November 26th of 2011. Attempts to get a hold of Best Buy customer service have been fruitless in terms of replacing the MBAir with another one or some other kind of resolution. Apple won't reset the purchase date even when sending them the digital receipt best buy sent me.

Any ideas?

http://www.apple.com/support/service/help/warrantycheck/proofofpurchase.html

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
My first 13" Early 2011 model was an open box. Got it home and it had a dead LCD. I returned it to Micro Center and since it was $100 less than the none opened they weren't able to give a new at the same price, but they did give a $50 gift card which paid for most of my Magic Mouse :)

I did exchange it for the new one. Since I got a $50 gift card it turned out be a good deal b/c it got me the Magic Mouse, lol.

I also have the two accidental damage warranty through Micro Center, ead the fine print and seems like a decent deal.

I am not a fan of open box items unless it's an item under $300 or so. Hope all goes well.

I have bought two open-box Mac laptops from Microcenter. I turn them on before I leave the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.