Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:51 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

HzO 'Talking to Apple' About Water Blocking Technology for Future iPhones

Pocket-lint reports that Utah company HzO, which was showing off its "WaterBlock" technology for providing water resistance to mobile devices at last week's CES, has said it is talking to Apple about the possibility of including the technology in future iPhones and other devices. Samsung is also reportedly "excited" by the technology.
Quote:
"We showed the Samsung Chairman the technology with a Samsung Galaxy S that we had coated with HZO and he couldn't believe his eyes," a representative of the company told us. "Samsung is really excited by the tech."

The company has told us that they are also talking to Apple as well, hoping to be able to let Apple make the iPhone 5 waterproof.

"We expect HZO to be in next season's phones," HZO told Pocket-lint rather confidently.
The WaterBlock technology, which consists of a coating applied to interior device components to help them resist water damage, is performed during the manufacturing process and is invisible to the user.

It is difficult to know how serious the company's discussions with Apple are, and any substantial conversations would almost certainly be subject to non-disclosure arrangements. In addition, expo floor exhibitors are of course primarily interested in promoting their products, and any mention of discussions of partnerships with major companies is a good way to generate publicity.

Consequently, it is impossible to put any measure of weight on speculation that Apple might adopt HzO technology, but it does appear to be an interesting possibility for mobile device manufacturers seeking to improve the durability of their products.

Article Link: HzO 'Talking to Apple' About Water Blocking Technology for Future iPhones
MacRumors is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:55 AM   #2
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

This is an example of a company that would make sense for Apple to just outright buy. The iPhone being waterproof would be a *major* selling point.
TimUSCA is offline   69 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Btrthnezr3
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think this would also be awesome. Many people I know seem to shy from smart phones in general because they feel they are "fragile." Maybe it's the rural area?

But I'm wondering if this coating has heat dissipation issues?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4
timotay89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
This is an example of a company that would make sense for Apple to just outright buy. The iPhone being waterproof would be a *major* selling point.
iPad and iPod too!
timotay89 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:02 AM   #5
emvath
macrumors regular

This would have saved me a good chunk of money a year ago.

Please include this apple (and everyone else)!
emvath is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:02 AM   #6
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

Looks interesting. That would be a really strong selling point for me if it were to be included.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:03 AM   #7
drober30
macrumors 6502a

These guys just hit the lottery!
drober30 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Dainin
macrumors regular

Could be some downsides.. I really hope Apple seriously takes a look.
Dainin is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:03 AM   #9
DrJohnnyN
macrumors 6502a

Apple, adopt this technology!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:05 AM   #10
dgree03
macrumors 65816

Why wait?

http://www.liquipel.com/

Its already being done, I am going to send my wifes phone to try it out! Women who put phones in their back pocket, then us the bathroom, guess where the phone ends up?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:06 AM   #11
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, Apple would rather you just buy a new phone if you get yours wet
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:06 AM   #12
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I wonder how waterproof this stuff can make a phone. I am wondering because it would be a cool feature to allow underwater videos to be taken, but I am guessing it can only be submerged a few feet.

Of course, you would have to already have the camera app open as I don't think the capacitive touchscreen will work while submerged.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:09 AM   #13
daxomni
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
It makes even more sense to buy them outright and then sit on the patents while selling new phones to anyone with warranty-killing water damage.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:11 AM   #14
nikhsub1
macrumors 68000

For those of you that think this is so 'revolutionary' you need to just google conformal coatings. This has been done for years, and is nothing new, exciting or groundbreaking at this point. I have been water cooling computers for almost 15 years now and have used conformal coatings you can spray out of a can that work just as the video with the iphone. I LOL'd at "these guys just hit the lottery" Trust me, Apple has known about conformal coatings forever, they are not stupid and like I said it is nothing new. There are potential downsides, one is that it can help to retain heat...
nikhsub1 is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:16 AM   #15
NinjaHERO
macrumors 6502a

Wow. That is awesome. Would be a very cool addition to any portable electronic device.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:18 AM   #16
nagromme
macrumors G5

Iíd be a little afraid to be an early-adopter manufacturer, and discover the 1-in-1000 problems (smell? fire? warranty/legal headaches? demons?) multiplied by millions of users... but I hope there arenít any such issues, and that everything starts to use this!

Iím surprisingly compelled to put my iPhone in the toilet, and right now, it's impractical for me to do so.
nagromme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:19 AM   #17
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
This would be incredible, too many iPhones have died at the hands of water. A friend of mines died when it was in his gym bag, and his water bottle leaked.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:19 AM   #18
BobbyRond
macrumors regular

Cool as this technology may be, there will most certainly be people who consider charging your electronic device in the bathtub is a safe thing to do...

Maybe something the tech companies should also take into account...
BobbyRond is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:20 AM   #19
Finiksa
macrumors 6502a

This is nothing new. Search for Golden Shellback a company that was trying to market this in 2008. The technology works incredibly well and it has for years.

These are just various vapour deposit polymer coating processes that companies are trying to brand and mass market. These technologies have been used for years to waterproof medical electronics.
Finiksa is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:22 AM   #20
iSee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
"We expect HZO to be in next season's phones," HZO told...
I think this means there is almost no chance Hz0 will have anything to do with the iPhone 5.

Apple's partners keep their mouths shut. HzO surely knows this. So this sounds like a desperate ploy to get attention from other manufacturers.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:25 AM   #21
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

This sounds like it will be a step above the current Droid Razr's water resistance.
AppleScruff1 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:27 AM   #22
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgree03 View Post
Why wait?

Its already being done, I am going to send my wifes phone to try it out! Women who put phones in their back pocket, then us the bathroom, guess where the phone ends up?
good call. this place is only an hour away from me. thanks!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSee View Post
I think this means there is almost no chance Hz0 will have anything to do with the iPhone 5.

Apple's partners keep their mouths shut. HzO surely knows this. So this sounds like a desperate ploy to get attention from other manufacturers.
agreed.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:29 AM   #23
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgree03 View Post
Why wait?

Does that protect the iPhone against jobbies too?
Kilamite is online now   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:30 AM   #24
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRCiJJN49tg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN3t97tkD8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Dvp8EgMeA

Pretty cool, but nothing new
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:32 AM   #25
knewsom
macrumors 6502a

This is so cool... there's no way in hell Apple's ever gonna do it.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion