Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Apple's partners keep their mouths shut. HzO surely knows this. So this sounds like a desperate ploy to get attention from other manufacturers.
What exactly makes this "desperate" rather than just a normal ploy?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
This is a great idea, BUT I can see the posts "I can't replace my iPhone battery without damaging the waterproofing coating &*%!@ APPLE!!!"

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Cool as this technology may be, there will most certainly be people who consider charging your electronic device in the bathtub is a safe thing to do...

Maybe something the tech companies should also take into account... :D

By Darwin's law they are not meant to be on this planet!

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Why would Apple (or anyone else) go with this now from HZO when so many other companies have been demonstrating it for years? IS HZO's tech somehow different?

One concern might be problems during charging. Someone dips the phone in a tub and it works great. Then takes that still wet phone and connects it to their charger, which may or may not be protected as well. Now you have a short and fire/electrocution hazard? I honestly don't know and am asking.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
One concern might be problems during charging. Someone dips the phone in a tub and it works great. Then takes that still wet phone and connects it to their charger, which may or may not be protected as well. Now you have a short and fire/electrocution hazard? I honestly don't know and am asking.

They'd probably have to upgrade their cords as well, making it explicitly clear to people to use only the new cord with the new device. 3rd-party manufacturers would love this, because then everyone with the new device would need new stuff.

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
Why would Apple (or anyone else) go with this now from HZO when so many other companies have been demonstrating it for years? IS HZO's tech somehow different?

Induction charging (as happens in my toothbrush right now) would protect against such shocks. But yeah, induction charging wouldn't protect when needing to transfer data via cable (the 30-pin dock and such).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

The argument seems to be that Apple really, really, really hates it when anyone talks about future Apple products, apparently to the point where they changed which graphics cards they used in a product when the company in question proudly announced their product would be used. (One of NVidia and AMD was the victim, and one the beneficiary, can't remember which one).

If this is correct, then there would be one company where we could be sure that Apple won't use them, and that would be HZO. And a ploy that destroys your chances to ever have a deal with one of the largest phone manufacturers would have to be desperate.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Is it really that difficult for people to avoid dropping their iPhone in the toilet?

I guess so. But honestly, what has happened to our society where so many people to try and make things idiot-proof? Is this a subconscious admission that they really are stupid?

Nothing comes without cost. I'm sure that the HzO process costs something (a few cents per application) - to say nothing about the "known unknowns" of environmental damage, heat retention, performance losses, etc. And lets also face up to the fact that this isn't going to make the phone "waterproof" - it certainly isn't going to protect a phone that gets dropped in a swimming pool or goes through a hot-wash cycle.

Why should every iPhone owner have to pay this price, just to make things easier for those klutzes and airheads who can't exercise the minimal amount of care necessary to avoid immersing their mobile phone?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Whilst this is cool and all, I doubt it'll actually change anything, Apple will undoubtably still have those little pink stickers that get set off by humid conditions :rolleyes:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

Desperate because they are trading an important potential customer for attention. The attention is fleeting but Apple will most likely never consider partnering with HzO.

Why do that unless you need a customer now?

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Induction charging (as happens in my toothbrush right now) would protect against such shocks. But yeah, induction charging wouldn't protect when needing to transfer data via cable (the 30-pin dock and such).

Induction charging could sync data as well, a certain magnetic pulse is a 1 a different magnetic pulse is a 0, all they'd need is a kext.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
This!

The nano coating out there for almost 4 years now, why would a company cut its revenue with this technology???

Sad but true... :(

Why would a company alienate its customers by NOT offering protection from water - sweat, rain, dropping in water?

Motorola's Droid RAZR is being advertised as repelling water NOW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.