Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Das Keyboard Releases Model S Professional for Mac

Das Keyboard, a popular keyboard manufacturer that specializes in "clicky" mechanical keyboards like the Apple Extended Keyboard or the IBM Model M, has announced a Macintosh-edition of its Model S Professional keyboard.

Das's keyboards are a favorite of many computer users, including MacRumors chief Arnold Kim. The Model S Professional for Mac is the same keyboard as the Model S that Das Keyboard has been selling, but with the appropriate "control", "option", and "command" keys for the Macintosh, plus function keys for sleep, brightness +/-, mute, volume +/-, eject, play/pause, next and previous track.

CNET gave the Model S Professional 4/5 stars, praising its "tactile feel and satisfying clack" and noting that "power typists will find comfort, utility, and nostalgia in the Model S Professional's sleek design and springboard performance." The keyboard "brings back the same mechanical key switches and provides tactical and audible feedback that might even improve your typing speed and accuracy." The mechanical key switches of the 2.6 lb. Model S are designed to withstand more than 50 million strokes.

The Model S Professional for Mac will be priced at $133 when it's released, but is available for pre-order for $113. Das Keyboard says it has a limited quantity available for immediate shipping, but the keyboard will be shipped in volume on April 16, 2012.

Article Link: Das Keyboard Releases Model S Professional for Mac
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:30 PM   #2
eastercat
macrumors 68040

When my keyboard goes, this'll probably be my next purchase.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:30 PM   #3
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Das Keyboard, a popular keyboard manufacturer that specializes in "clicky" keyboards like the Apple Extended Keyboard or the IBM Model M, has announced a Macintosh-edition of its Model S Professional keyboard.
Specifically it's a mechanical keyboard. One that uses mechanical switches to operate the keys.
wordoflife is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:37 PM   #4
MacAddict2000
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to MacAddict2000
Nice! They could have made the case/key design a little more "Apple" though.

Maybe a clear casing with white keys like the older Apple keyboards (the one I'm using right now)

Mac Pro (2009) 2.66GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 12GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD, ATI 5870
MacBook Pro (2010) 2.4GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini (2011) 2.5GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 500GB HDD
MacAddict2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:46 PM   #5
rolfsf
macrumors newbie

never understood...

I never understood the allure of the clicky keyboards - I just assumed it was for people who wanted to sound busier than they actually were.
rolfsf is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:51 PM   #6
nagromme
macrumors G4

Not a clicky fan either, but a gloss black keyboard would almost match an iMac better than Apple’s own.

(Why are Apple’s keyboard and mouse still white?? White is gone from the Mac line! I kind of like Apple’s white cables, but lose the white keys! Apple’s keyboards should all look share MacBook Pro/Air colors.)
nagromme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:06 PM   #7

Well, the Apple Extended Keyboard II is, deservedly, the BEST keyboard Apple has ever produced, and most probably the best in the history of personal computers. Only those who owned them can tell how good they were; precise touch, excellent feedback and flawless key travel/pressure ratios.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:18 PM   #8
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
for the record, I'm not using the Das anymore. After going through some keyboard addiction issues, I'm on the Filco Ninja Brown Tenkeyless

key indicators are on the side:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filco-ninja-majestouch-keyboard.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	320196  
arn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:21 PM   #9
arn
macrumors god

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfsf View Post
I never understood the allure of the clicky keyboards - I just assumed it was for people who wanted to sound busier than they actually were.
It's less about the "click" as much as it is about the feel of it. The mechanical keys feel very different than standard non-mechanical keys.

arn
arn is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:21 PM   #10
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

I don't know about you guys but I have tested myself on an old style clicky keyboard and the new style apple keyboards and I type much faster on the new style. It feels much more comfortable to me too. I can hardly type on old style keyboards anymore!!
george-brooks is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:22 PM   #11
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

I would pay for a silent keyboard not for a noisy one. My apple keyboard and my macbook keyboard are great. I had an ibm keyboard, one of those heavy clickers, and I hated it.
blackburn is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:23 PM   #12
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
for the record, I'm not using the Das anymore. After going through some keyboard addiction issues, I'm on the Filco Ninja Brown Tenkeyless
Now THAT'S cool, Arn! where can I get one of those!?
george-brooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:25 PM   #13
SandboxGeneral

I've always like the feel of the mechanical type keyboards too. i may invest in one of these new ones later when they come out. - But I do like the standard Apple keyboard a lot too.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:26 PM   #14
arn
macrumors god

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
Now THAT'S cool, Arn! where can I get one of those!?
I got mine from http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_d...sp?PRODUCT=849

there are other versions with different types of switches, depending if you like more click or not. this is the relatively click-less compared to the Blue switches.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:37 PM   #15
edenwaith
macrumors 6502a

Tactile Keyboards

Several years ago, I was at the bank watching the teller type on an IBM keyboard. Out of interest, I asked if it was a Model M keyboard. After flipping the keyboard over, it proved to be a Model M, even though I wasn't sure if it was or not. The clickiness of that keyboard reminded me of my current keyboard, the Matias Tactile Pro, which is easily my favorite keyboard I've used. This Model S looks like it is in similar territory. Not quite sure why they have that "lip" on the top edge of the keyboard, that seems pretty out of place on the keyboard.
edenwaith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:56 PM   #16
biziclop
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenwaith View Post
Several years ago, I was at the bank watching the teller type on an IBM keyboard. Out of interest, I asked if it was a Model M keyboard. After flipping the keyboard over, it proved to be a Model M, even though I wasn't sure if it was or not. The clickiness of that keyboard reminded me of my current keyboard, the Matias Tactile Pro, which is easily my favorite keyboard I've used. This Model S looks like it is in similar territory. Not quite sure why they have that "lip" on the top edge of the keyboard, that seems pretty out of place on the keyboard.
Now it is possible to buy an Unicomp-made buckling-spring Model M made for :

http://pckeyboard.com/mm5/merchant.m...de=SpacesaverM

I use a plain pc version, and while it is a bit loud, it is a pleasure to use.
biziclop is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:06 PM   #17
grapegraphics
macrumors newbie

White!

I have no doubt that this is a quality keyboard but would love for it to be available in white/brushed aluminum. In my experience, a white keyboard can be seen better in low light. IMHO

Last edited by grapegraphics; Jan 16, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
grapegraphics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:51 PM   #18
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Wow! That's some serious ninja-style stealth typin'. Didn't even know keyboards as cool as this existed.

I'm super happy with the Apple keyboards these days, though.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:51 PM   #19
negatv1
macrumors 6502

Seen? Some of the keyboards don't even have keycaps - it's all Feel.

I have the Matias Tactile Pro, but to me it feels cheap. I like my old school ADB Extended II better, USB-to-ADB adapter and all.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:59 PM   #20
twitter
macrumors member

to hear this clicky sound all day in the office is so annoying!!! i nearly bought my windows colleagues some nice quiet mac keyboards
twitter is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:04 PM   #21
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Not a clicky fan either, but a gloss black keyboard would almost match an iMac better than Apple’s own.

(Why are Apple’s keyboard and mouse still white?? White is gone from the Mac line! I kind of like Apple’s white cables, but lose the white keys! Apple’s keyboards should all look share MacBook Pro/Air colors.)
Maybe they will update the keyboard to black illuminated keys. The USB keyboard could definatley be illumated but I'd imagine you'd need a decent battery on the Bluetooth version to power it for awhile
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:38 PM   #22
Lostanddamned
macrumors 6502

I can safely say that a black (backlit?) version of the apple wireless (or wired) keyboard would be a day 1 purchase for me. My desktop is all about unity, and that would complete it.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostanddamned View Post
I can safely say that a black (backlit?) version of the apple wireless (or wired) keyboard would be a day 1 purchase for me. My desktop is all about unity, and that would complete it.
Well, but if you have a MBP, aluminum/off-white would be more in line with "unity", or..?
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:59 PM   #24
dfs
macrumors member

DasKeyboard

Yes, this is the best keyboard I've ever heard. I used to use a Matias, but it was a dirt-trap, and when a couple of keys stopped working I returned it to the mfr., who refused to honor the warrantee (so caveat emptor!). I’ve had no similar problems with the Das Keyboard. My only gripe about it and the Matias is that both of them are LOUD and probably shouldn’t be used in an environment where they might irritate family members, co-workers etc. (somehow Apple figured out a way to damp down the noise on the Extended Keyboard II). But this “releases Model S Professional for Mac“ is a bit silly. In almost all respects this is the same Das Keybaord Pro as always, for which you could buy a set of Apple-oriented replacement keys.
dfs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:03 PM   #25
jtara
macrumors 65816

I use a Unicomp Model M and love it!

However, I was asked to take it home when I worked at the Sony San Diego Studio. I was told that there were "several complaints" about the noise!

The Model M is not actually a mechanical keyboard. The contact mechanism is, in fact, a dome in newer models. (In the very earliest IBM models, it was hall-effect, I beleive). No IBM Model M has true mechanical switch contacts. (e.g. wiping action).

The magic of the Model M is the patented buckling spring mechanism. It is designed to give positive feedback as to switch actuation. When you hear and feel the "click", the switch has been operated. It is designed to always click AFTER the contact has been made. You know you can then lift your finger.

It is also designed such that this occurs prior to the key bottoming-out. When you type "correctly" on a model M, you are releasing the keys before they bottom-out, minimizing stress on your fingers.
jtara is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion