Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Oh god. I'm currently saving up for the iPad 2 and I won't reach the right amount before March (the month where the iPad is said to release). But if the iPad 3 will be more expensive....fuuuuuuuuffufuuuuu:eek:

same here but if it doesn't have any significant updates (for me) e.g. retina display than I might just buy a 64gb ipad 2 and save the money. BTW if you can go to germany or any western european country like Hungary and they have it quite a bit cheaper like around 500dkk difference between hungary and denmark on the 64gb wifi version.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
At $399 your talking the price for a 64GB iPod Touch. Now how many of those people go for the iPad instead of the iPod. Although it would be great for consumers, I can't see Apple doing that.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Wasn't that just stupid analyst napkin math?

Since any manufacturers supplier costs are closely-guarded secrets they're always going to be estimates, but I don't think there's a lot of disagreement that they're not runnig a profit on the Fire.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Since any manufacturers supplier costs are closely-guarded secrets they're always going to be estimates, but I don't think there's a lot of disagreement that they're not runnig a profit on the Fire.

I agree....how can they? They sell them dirt cheap with hopes people will shop in their crappy online store.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
The loss is anywhere between $2 and $15 on each device, but this is classic Amazon. For the first couple of years of their existence they didn't turn a profit despite massive sales. Cheap prices get people through the door and keep them there.

Apple doesn't need to do this.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
If I were running a business would I want to undercut my OWN product... No.

If I were running a business would I want a larger item on sale for the same price as a very similar item half the size... No.

If I were running a business would I want to sell at a very minimal, or no profit margin... No.

If I were a business and I was selling millions of a product would I suddenly change my business model... No.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002

If I were running a business would I want a larger item on sale for the same price as a very similar item half the size... No.

If I were running a business would I want to sell at a very minimal, or no profit margin... No.

If I were a business and I was selling millions of a product would I suddenly change my business model... No.

You've just made several (classic) blunders made time and again by entrenched businesses over the decades. Nice work ;)

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

Points to Eastman Kodak, Dell, Yahoo, even Microsoft.

Apple almost went away too, but found a new product and new business.

iPod saved the company, not the iPhone or iPad.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
If a $399 iPad will happen it will likely happen as a feature-limited educational device given the current line of textbook rumors (no cameras, keep the current processor).

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
On the discussion about Apple continuing to offer the iPad 2 as an entry level model when the iPad 3 is eventually released, what is the possibility of Apple releasing a $299 or $349 8GB WiFi only iPad 2? :eek: :D

amar majhi

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
wow ipad3! $399? omg!! anyways i love apple. apple mac is the best. apple has beat samsung and will go down and down. i love my iphone 4s but still apple has to increase the battery power. and you know what?? all the korean will be apple users

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.