Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
Hi all,

I recently got an iPhone 4S and since I set it up, it occasionally marks an e-mail as read. My phone buzzes with an alert and shows the preview. Before I read the message or touch my phone, the alert goes away and marks the message as read.

It's a Gmail account set up using Exchange. I've never had this problem on my iPad and only occasionally happens on my iPhone.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Hi all,

I recently got an iPhone 4S and since I set it up, it occasionally marks an e-mail as read. My phone buzzes with an alert and shows the preview. Before I read the message or touch my phone, the alert goes away and marks the message as read.

It's a Gmail account set up using Exchange. I've never had this problem on my iPad and only occasionally happens on my iPhone.
do you have the gmail.com website open when this is happening? i notice when i have that open my phone never gets push emails...just a thought.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
do you have the gmail.com website open when this is happening? i notice when i have that open my phone never gets push emails...just a thought.

Occasionally, yes, but that doesn't seem to correlate to when my phone marks as read.

Strange enough, I've switched the home screen preview from 2 lines to 1 line and it hasn't done it since. Glitch, maybe?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Occasionally, yes, but that doesn't seem to correlate to when my phone marks as read.

Strange enough, I've switched the home screen preview from 2 lines to 1 line and it hasn't done it since. Glitch, maybe?

hmmm that's weird man. i notice weird things like that when i also have the apple mail program open

tcarroll2

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
I have the same problem here with an iPhone 3GS running iOS5, but it is a Yahoo account. Every morning the messages received through the night are all marked as read. I don't have the preview feature turned on.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
I think I've figured out why it does this. Maybe somebody can verify.

If you read an email on the phone, and you just exit mail without exiting the message, when you go back into mail you're greeted by that message. Now, say you don't do back into the app, and instead you delete, move or archive that message on a different device (or in a different mail app) the email obviously is removed from your inbox. BUT, the mail app is still running in the background on the phone and "displaying" that message (it's still in message view). Then, when that now-moved message is replaced by a real new email the app "displays" (in the background where you can't actually see it) that message right away thus marking it read.

I've had emails marked as read all day today. I just opened mail a few minutes ago for the first time today and for a split second I saw a message I'd read and archived on my Mac just minutes ago. I'd never displayed it on my phone so that's what tipped me off to this.

Marknbsmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
I am having the same issue. iPhone 5 fully updated. Doesn't happen all the time just most of the time... Email marked as read before I have read them. Any help would be great!

Leppalam

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Last summer I used Nokia Lumia for a while and then switched to iPhone.
If I remember correctly, the similar issue was also at Nokia Lumia. (And switching back to iPhone did not help!)
I have iPhone 4S and my yahoo account does the same. Strange enough, confirmation email to register to this forum appeared to me correctly - unread email remained unread though I played around with iPhone email program.

My other exchange accounts works ok. I have deleted the account and installed it again. But that does not solve the problem

nos402

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2008
THANK YOU! Yes, this is it. Weird that I never noticed this happening before today, but maybe it's because I've never had an empty inbox before today. So now I can replicate that if I leave a message open on the phone and then delete it online, then any new message that comes in gets marked as read. If I leave the message open on my phone and go back to the home screen, then delete it online, when a new message comes in, my phone will light up, but there will be no alert or preview on the phone and the message gets marked as read.

I think I've figured out why it does this. Maybe somebody can verify.

If you read an email on the phone, and you just exit mail without exiting the message, when you go back into mail you're greeted by that message. Now, say you don't do back into the app, and instead you delete, move or archive that message on a different device (or in a different mail app) the email obviously is removed from your inbox. BUT, the mail app is still running in the background on the phone and "displaying" that message (it's still in message view). Then, when that now-moved message is replaced by a real new email the app "displays" (in the background where you can't actually see it) that message right away thus marking it read.

I've had emails marked as read all day today. I just opened mail a few minutes ago for the first time today and for a split second I saw a message I'd read and archived on my Mac just minutes ago. I'd never displayed it on my phone so that's what tipped me off to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.