Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
I can think of very few, if any, organizations that manage security with anything like the skill that Apple does. The CIA, Mossad, MI-5 and NSA might very well be more "secretive" - but by their very definition, we are unlikely to ever know about their greatest successes or failures. And Apple's "secrecy" has a very different goal than that of any intelligence agency.

Apple works in a very challenging environment. While its research labs and product development teams might work in an environment of blacked out conference rooms and air-tight non-disclosure contracts, it also subcontracts all of its production to companies that employ tens of thousands of low-paid workers. People for whom a couple hundred dollars in cash might represent a vast fortune.

And yet Apple has been remarkably effective at keeping its biggest breakthroughs secret, or at least "off the radar". (Fun project, do a forum search on the word "Siri", looking ONLY at posts older than six months. Where was the crowd loudly predicting this would be the "must have" feature of the next iPhone?)

This suggests, to me at least, that Apple has a very good appreciation of the role of internet sites such as this one, in its product roll-put plans. And that, at the very highest levels of the company there is a strategy in place to manage both expectations and "rumors" about upcoming products and features.

All of which suggests we ought to regard any, and all, "rumors" with the utmost skepticism. We know the next iPhone isn't going to feature time travel or levitation. But we ought to think, very hard, about all the costs and implications of all sorts of widely predicted features - from Retina displays to waterproofing - and ask ourselves the hardest question of all: Is this just Apple trying to head-fake Samsung and HTC into an expensive wild goose chase?

What else are Apple going to do with their enormous war reserve? Spend it on mindshare of course. Spend it on legal battles, spend it on patents, spend it on management of expectations and rumors like you said.

They actually have all the "tech" part sewn up. Even if they don't include a new technology like LTE for example, critics and staunch supporters will say 'it's not ready yet', as an excuse. And when they do introduce something new even if it isn't that new, it will be like Apple introduced it first. Apple the first company to do it the right way and everyone in the industry will have to follow suit just to compete.

Regarding the goose chasing, if you don't think Apple will introduce a Retina style display eventually I think you will be proven incorrect. The biggest news from CES for me was the disclosure of 1080p tablets from Acer and Asus. No doubt a hackjob but it proves the existence of such high resolutions displays on small devices.

Personally I can't wait for iPad3, skipped iPad 2 and after having used one for a while, yes it was nice, worth the upgrade, nope.

Oh and I'm looking forward to reading this book too, I agree with the main premise of a tightly structured caste system in corporate world producing the best results, though it's highly dependent on who's in charge. :)

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Apple isn't that secret if everyone knows weeks in advance what the next product is going to be, with all the leaks, rumors, photos, prototypes, case designs, etc. It certainly isn't much more secret than other tech companies.

We all know about the upcoming release of the iPad 3, what most of its features will be, general price point, etc.

All this talk of secrecy is just more Apple hype.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
As someone who worked both for Apple Retail and Corporate, I can vouch for this. We were selling things up until the very moment of an announcement the new version came out. It resulted in some PO'd customers and changed plans.

In those instances Apple has a pretty liberal return policy, and an even more liberal exchange policy.

But shouldn't you have already known that, having "worked both for Apple Retail and Corporate"? :p

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
In those instances Apple has a pretty liberal return policy, and an even more liberal exchange policy.

But shouldn't you have already known that, having "worked both for Apple Retail and Corporate"? :p

Sure, they've got good policies there, but that doesn't stop people who *just* bought the old model yesterday from being PO'd. It just makes it easier to take that PO'd customer and turn them into a satisfied one.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
As someone who worked both for Apple Retail and Corporate, I can vouch for this. We were selling things up until the very moment of an announcement the new version came out. It resulted in some PO'd customers and changed plans.

Funnily enough, I worked in Apple QA, and remember being told never to share information on products in testing with anyone in sales, for this reason. They'll pass the news on to the customer, and the customer will put off a purchase for a new, unreleased or even unannounced alternative.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Apple isn't that secret if everyone knows weeks in advance what the next product is going to be, with all the leaks, rumors, photos, prototypes, case designs, etc. It certainly isn't much more secret than other tech companies.

We all know about the upcoming release of the iPad 3, what most of its features will be, general price point, etc.

All this talk of secrecy is just more Apple hype.

these official leaks are done on a time schedule where it's impossible for a competitor to copy the product before apple's release. it takes 18-24 months for a phone/tablet to go from design to market

if someone talked about working on the ipad 3 early last year in detail and it got out then it would be a lot different

steveh

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2002
Funnily enough, I worked in Apple QA, and remember being told never to share information on products in testing with anyone in sales, for this reason. They'll pass the news on to the customer, and the customer will put off a purchase for a new, unreleased or even unannounced alternative.

We were told exactly the same thing at at least two other companies I worked for after leaving Apple.

Tell anyone in sales, and they'll quit selling your current products in favor of pushing something that might not appear for six months or a year down the road.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
We were told exactly the same thing at at least two other companies I worked for after leaving Apple.

Tell anyone in sales, and they'll quit selling your current products in favor of pushing something that might not appear for six months or a year down the road.

I think the difference at Apple, is, these admonishments aren't just guidelines. Information flow is probably tracked, and if something leaks, those responsible are immediately fired and possibly sued. The fear of the hammer coming down on a consistent basis is what keeps people in line. They're ruthless, and it works.

Also, nothing that Apple does in regards to security and secrecy is all that secret. They've just borrowed techniques from intelligence and defense like "compartmentalization", where you only know what you need to know to do your job, and absolutely nothing else. In defense work, you often have no idea what the actual product is that you are working on. You're just building a component or programming a module, and that's all you know. The component or module will be used to make a final product, but that's not information you get to have.

Last edited:

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Unless the author previously worked for Apple (definitely would have had to been a 'higher-up'), how in the world would he know about Apple's inner-workings? I'm not buying it literally nor figuratively.

He was able to talk directly with Jobs via late night 800-number spiritual mediums, so it's all the honest truth. You don't get a trusted source any better then Madam Cleo.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Not if their quarterly bonus depends on the stuff sold and shipped to customers this week versus next week!

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

"...Jonathan Ive's industrial design team among the "untouchable"..."

the aapl imperial guards

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
these official leaks are done on a time schedule where it's impossible for a competitor to copy the product before apple's release. it takes 18-24 months for a phone/tablet to go from design to market

if someone talked about working on the ipad 3 early last year in detail and it got out then it would be a lot different

But all tech companies are like that. HP and Dell aren't releasing nearly identical products at the exact same time either.

jhvaughan2

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2006
Usually in the context of of a caste system, isn't "untouchable" very low - people you don't want to touch who do things like sewerage or collecting dead bodies? Here it is used for very high (untouchable as in above the rules for ordinary workers).
I think the error is in using the term "caste".

I believe the idea relates more to the Elliot Ness idea of the "Untouchables" - the group that was beyond corruption -- could not be bribed to give out information.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I think the error is in using the term "caste".

I believe the idea relates more to the Elliot Ness idea of the "Untouchables" - the group that was beyond corruption -- could not be bribed to give out information.

The error was that this author didn't have a clue about the dramatic analogy he used, which affects his overall credibility. Especially for a book supposedly written with "inside" information about the company.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009

Well, yeah, but that's not the point of my post is it? There were plenty of uninformed customers who simply never knew, especially when the design of the product didn't change.

At Corporate (Business direct sales) we had a couple of customers with large quantity iPad orders get the total shaft because of turnarounds from their order date and their actual ship date. Apple's policy is to allow returns from the sale date, so even though they waited four weeks for their order to actually be delivered, they couldn't turn it around and get either credit or a swap for iPads 2.

It was not pretty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.