Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Screenshot

My logic for this mock-up:
a) Intel only has 2 processors with the TDP for the Air.
b) People want to buy better Air notebooks in a store, without having to resort to BTOs for SSDs or i7s.
c) Apple's product line-up has been Consumer/Professional since Jobs' return, so if the "Pro" is "Pro", the "Air" should be the consumer "MacBook", since it starts at such a low price point.
d) The lack of more processors could bring Apple to diversify the "Air" platform in 2 configurations: i5/128/4 and i7/256/8.
e) Such configurations could be scalable on bigger form factors, still cheaper than the Pro but with more durable batteries.
f) Retina display could be added on high-end as an added bonus.
g) Apple always liked the Good/Better/Best lineup, this stands true even with Good/Better. The "Air" architecture is scalable for equally powerful Macs even at smaller form factors.
h) Higher dimension of the 17" could allow for a discrete graphics card, even if not a top-end one. That is, if Apple introduces 15" and 17" AirBook at the same time (.0001% possibility)
i) But 15" ultrabooks were already presented, Apple might want to be the first with 17".
j) nVidia could be too late with the new GPUs for Q2 2012, AMD will be ready before Ivy Bridge.

Not saying that Apple will do this (reeeeally slim eventuality), but I would like too see what you think, because IMHO this could be one hell of an upgrade to the MBA (MB) lineup! :D

Edit: While you're at it, take a peek at my Pro 2012 mockup. Not wanting to crosspost, but its logic is dependent on the Air mockup you just read.

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Honestly, I think the prices for the "best" models is completely out of whack.

Very little chance of getting +4GB, +128GB, +i7, +retina for only $300. It's too much add-ons for only $300 extra. And having the "best" of the smaller model being the same price as the "good" of the larger model is problematic in these configurations.

I would think at these price points, you'd be looking at the following. Also, I'm not sold on retina being available. And if it is, it'll probably be BTO, unless Apple can get really aggressive component pricing on them.

11 good - 1.8 i5, 4GB, 128GB
11 best- 2.0 i5, 4GB, 256GB

13 good - 2.2 i5, 4GB, 256GB
13 best - 2.4 i7, 4GB, 320GB

15 good - 2.6 i7, 4GB, 320GB
15 best - 2.8 i7, 8GB, 500GB

gpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Honestly, I think the prices for the "best" models is completely out of whack.

Very little chance of getting +4GB, +128GB, +i7, +retina for only $300. It's too much add-ons for only $300 extra. And having the "best" of the smaller model being the same price as the "good" of the larger model is problematic in these configurations.

I would think at these price points, you'd be looking at the following. Also, I'm not sold on retina being available. And if it is, it'll probably be BTO, unless Apple can get really aggressive component pricing on them.

11 good - 1.8 i5, 4GB, 128GB
11 best- 2.0 i5, 4GB, 256GB

13 good - 2.2 i5, 4GB, 256GB
13 best - 2.4 i7, 4GB, 320GB

15 good - 2.6 i7, 4GB, 320GB
15 best - 2.8 i7, 8GB, 500GB

I understand the point, but:
a) Retina being BTO basically kills every marketing appeal of it.
b) I think Ivy Bridge will only have 2 ULV CPUs, the 1.8 i5 and 2.0 i7 (I used actual CPUs in the Ivy Bridge roadmap, not made-up ones)
c) I think the SSD size is a bit bigger.

Nice theory though.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Good point about the ULV chips. Somehow, I don't see Apple having all 4 models with the same chips for the good/best choices.

Also, the spec differences between the smaller best and the larger good is too great. You'd piss off a lot of people that want a 13" Air, but can't/won't spend the extra $300 for a retina/+4GB/+256GB/+i7 goodies. He would be able to get all that, but would have to settle for 11".

ft

gpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I was actually thinking that it would have been kind of cool to choose between more power/memory or screen/battery for +$300, but maybe yes, it could piss off some. And I don't get how could Apple make six Airs (11/13/15) out of 2 CPUs without diversifying a little, unless they use standard voltage CPUs (and have to figure out something for heat and power).

Unless Apple releases an underwhelming update without the 15" everybody is expecting, that is.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I very much doubt the 13" will have a dedicated GPU and 8gb RAM standard.

I didn't write any of that in my mock-up :D
And, besides that, I don't think they will be introducing a 17" air anytime soon, and that would be the only model with discrete graphics.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Very much doubt 8GB RAM.

What's likely to happen is they'll make 4GB standard, but won't offer more than 4GB. 8GB and above will become standard on the Pro's, with a BTO update to 16GB. That'll nicely diversify it.

Also based on TDP, 2012 Air's likely wouldn't get much better battery life, so it'll still be 5 and 7 hours respectively.

I'd also agree that Retina would be a BTO update if it ever comes out. Consuming doesn't need a Retina display. But perhaps they'll add an antiglare BTO option.

In fact, if this update even comes to pass, I think it'll be a very minimal one.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
In my opinion the 17 and 15 inch seems to be off. sub amd 7690m graphics cards are rebadges of the 6xxx's series. The 6770m has been rebadged as a 7690m.

Why would the 17 inch have a ULV processor (17 watts). The tdp of a 7670m is likely around 30-35 watts. That honestly makes no sense to me.

BTw retnia display is likely going to cost $300 on its own.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
First, I don't think there will be a 15" and 17" Air. Apple doesn't want anything to overlap, and the MBP and MBA are starting to look alike even more.

The white MacBook + 13" MBP was already awkward, but now the 13" MBA already have everything that was missing in the white MacBook: Aluminium body, backlit keyboard, high-speed connectivity (Thunderbolt) and SD card reader.

Now I don't even know what Apple will do next about the future 13" MBP vs future 13" MBA, I think they will either remove the 13" MBP or put discrete graphics in it. But no way we will see 15" and 17" Airs.

As for the specs, I think that, like in most fan predictions, they are too optimistic.

I think the i7 CPU will remain a BTO option on the second models, and that there won't be Retina displays. Even if they were available, they would probably be BTO options as well and make the price go much higher than that. They may or not put 8GB on the higher models, but this time I'm sure it will be at least offered as an option

I must say this is pretty well done though, both the editing and feasibility-wise. Everything there seems pretty realistic, except the price including a Retina Display. Good job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.