Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halibutgrove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
I'm trying to import .mp4 and .mov files into FCP but I'm getting a

"File error: 1 files(s)recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown"

when I use the import function.

If I just try dragging the file in the FCP I get:

"File Error: Unknown File.

The .mov files open in quick time with no problem. I reinstalled FCP but that didn't help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
That happens when you try to import an unsupported codec into FCP. Assuming the files are HD I would transcode them into DVCPro HD. FCP 4.5 is very, very old so your options are pretty limited.

Try using MPEG Streamclip to do the transcoding.

Lethal

Nov 28, 2010
located
.mp4 files use H.264 as codec, which is NOT an editing codec. The .mov file can use H.264 as codec too, thus analyse the .mov file via Use VideoSpec, MediaInfo Mac or MediaInfo to analyse that video and report back.

Your files should be using .mov as container and Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) or ProRes as codec.
You can use MPEG Streamclip for transcoding to that.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find dozens of threads explaining how to use MPEG Streamclip or what formats are accepted by FCP:

----------

Assuming the files are HD I would transcode them into DVCPro HD.

Why DVCPro HD and not ProRes?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Glad to hear you are up and running now. Thanks for letting us know the problem got fixed.

Sometimes people never come back so we don't know if our suggestions helped or not.:eek:

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.