Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Seems like a good idea, now it's up to which companies put out new releases into this. It'll be interesting to see whether those writing science, math, history, art, etc textbooks at the university level and professional level will do this. Heck UpToDate (medical app) is still "working on" an iPad app, although they do have an iPhone version so that's nice. Anyways, it's up to the people that make the content now to determine how useful this will be.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Figure the typical lifespan of an iPad in daily K-12 use is three years. Call it six textbooks a year. $499/18 + $15 -> ~$50/textbook.

Not exactly cheap...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not only is an iPad probably cheaper than a laptop (which many schools already provide) it's likely that future iPads will be cheaper yet. Just because they cost $499 today should we plan on that being true forever?

What happens when they cost $99 in 2018? And that cost gets spread out over 4 years? Do you really think that $25 per year will be too much money for everyone? Apple has to plan for the future. Waiting until then to come out with digital textbooks would let others take the market before then.

Why wait?

What elementary or jr high school gives students laptops? None that I know of

Woah. No one said that it's now up to parents to buy an iPad and all the books to go with it. I was under the assumption that now schools would be providing iPads and now the books as well.

Assume away. Nothing has been determined. But even so - Many school districts can't even afford school supplies. Yet now people will expect them to pay for iPads (and an IT infrastructure to maintain them?)

dball4

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
iTunes U

Now Apple is directly taking on universities and more specifically my university with an App. My uni is University of Illinois Springfield one of the leaders in online education

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

Front and center on the iTunes store.

1)How are textbooks cumbersome?

Maybe you only had flimsy textbooks but when I was in college mine tended to be big and heavy, especially when I'd have to take four or five with me which was very common.

The size and weight issue is HUGE, Apple is absolutely right to make that one of the primary selling points.[/QUOTE]

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
2)A typical day has about 5 classes in high school...so 5-7 books. Yes, they all fit in my backpack/bag. It's not like each text book weighs 20 pounds and the kids are carrying 100 pounds of books every day of the school year.

Well, I've been reading about this being a problem for over a decade now.

http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/0001989/82/

That's just one of many studies I've seen that all say the same thing. Kids today are (for whatever reason) carrying far more weight around than when I was a kid.

I've seen no studies that argue the opposite.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
What happens when your iPad is lost/stolen/destroyed?

So what happens when your iPad is lost/stolen/destroyed? Think about that for awhile and the ramifications.

We've all had a book(s) that we left on the bus or in mom's car over the weekend or fell off the desk/seat on bus, or got accidentally stomped on when someone ran through the class.

Lots to think about.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
This will change it all, again.

Schools across the nation will subsidize these books, and pricing will come down for student's and parents to share a nominal cost.

It will be a win win. Been waiting for this since iPad came out, now the momentum will actually begin.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

Assume away. Nothing has been determined. But even so - Many school districts can't even afford school supplies. Yet now people will expect them to pay for iPads (and an IT infrastructure to maintain them?)

No one is expecting anything. If your school district can afford to buy some iPads they can and the books to go along with them. I would think over the course of a couple of years, the cost of an iPad and books would be cheaper than having to buy new books which are very expensive

dball4

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois

I know of several school districts around me right now that have bought iPads or even MacBooks for every student and these are small rural school districts and a large urban district as well. They can find the money and they do when it comes time to decide more Athletics funding or iPads. The iPads win

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Now Apple is directly taking on universities and more specifically my university with an App. My uni is University of Illinois Springfield one of the leaders in online education

I went to Illinois in Champaign, and if your system was anything like our's, it was horibble, slow, and not user friendly.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Well, I've been reading about this being a problem for over a decade now.

http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/0001989/82/

That's just one of many studies I've seen that all say the same thing. Kids today are (for whatever reason) carrying far more weight around than when I was a kid.

I've seen no studies that argue the opposite.

Honestly, the amount of books I carried around with me made me a physically stronger person. It's not as if kids carry these books around with them for more than an hour in the school day.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
they are reaching now...

"no more slogging off to the bookstore to get..."

Yes.. because that is SOOOO burdensome. Spending $120 on a book that you barely use is obnoxious. Having to walk to the bookstore isn't a selling point. Convenient of course.. but how many trips to the bookstore (for school books) does one really make.

When I was in college - I went once (maybe twice) a semester

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Really pleasing to see this and I'm slightly jealous of my children that I didn't get to grow up with such educational, technological marvels such as the iPad.

Good stuff from my opinion.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Textbooks aren't always ideal: cumbersome, not terribly portable, not durable, not interactive, not searchable, but the content is great. Companies work hard to update, but hard to get the content out to people fast enough.

Wha????

1)How are textbooks cumbersome?! For comparison, there are no buttons (unlike an iPad), no cords, no dead batteries, no crashing, etc.

2)NOT PORTABLE?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Having graduated high school and college, I can say that I never, ever, found a texbook that was not portable. Sure, maybe if I tried to carry all 15 home in 1 bag at the end of the year...but that's it. Total joke on this point, Apple.

3)Not durable? Again, a joke, Apple.

4)Not searchable? Well, kinda true...but all textbooks are broken up into Chapters and there is that thing called, um, oh, THE TABLE OF CONTENTS in the beginning...and typically an index in the back for topics and sub topics. Very very rarely did I find it hard (gee, I had to spend 5 minutes) to locate a topic in a book. And how many times in Search Engines (either web-based or built into software products) have I spent more than 5 minutes trying to find something...often enough (exception: Google)

5)Can't get the content out fast enough? Mmmmm, last time I checked at textbook was good for a Semester or longer...typically 3-9 months worth of a topic. Other than Science and Biology, textbooks are not years out of date. Typically new Editions come out every year with fixed typos, extra or new examples, and every blue moon a new topic. Lets not forget that textbook companies have been screwing kids for decades by releasing a new "edition" every year which thus makes the old edition worthless on the used market...we've all been there.

It will be interesting to see what Apple has to offer, but this opening statement is a complete joke and the biggest Marketing spin I've ever heard of.

Other comments Apple will likely make against textbooks:

1)You can get papercuts
2)Classmates can draw on them and ruin your pages
3)They are heavy and can cause scoliosis if carrying with a backpack
4)Paper can trigger nasty allergy attacks
5)That "new book smell" can cause brain tumors
6)Bullies throw textbooks at their victims

You really mastered being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2010
I can read a book that is 500 years old but I can't even read my floppy disks anymore. Food for thouhgt. This is not for education, this is for consumation.

mrzeigler

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
So what happens when your iPad is lost/stolen/destroyed? Think about that for awhile and the ramifications.

We've all had a book(s) that we left on the bus or in mom's car over the weekend or fell off the desk/seat on bus, or got accidentally stomped on when someone ran through the class.

Lots to think about.

You lose the hardware but not the content. Free redownloads of all textbooks.

That's not the case if you lose or have your backpack stolen.

dball4

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
I went to Illinois in Champaign, and if your system was anything like our's, it was horibble, slow, and not user friendly.

We use Blackboard a lot here and it sucks but the classes are great. The only problem is that I'm graduating in May. I've talked to the head of online education for the university and President Hogan and they said they were in a partnership to change online education but they would not specify what it was about.

brookshanes

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Midwest
Silver Spoon

Huh?

1)I had a locker...in fact, I've NEVER HEARD of a high school kid NOT having a locker. There may be some, sure, in over populated schools or towns that 2 schools have to merge to 1 for a year due to 1 school being under construction. But please don't anyone try to tell me that high school kids can't carry a few books around in a bag (for what, a 1 minute walk between each class...can't carry some books for 60 seconds?!)...and college kids keep them in their dorm room...and 4th graders keep them in their desk/cubby/whatever.

2)A typical day has about 5 classes in high school...so 5-7 books. Yes, they all fit in my backpack/bag. It's not like each text book weighs 20 pounds and the kids are carrying 100 pounds of books every day of the school year.

1) You evidently have never shared a locker that was too small for even ONE student.
2) You evidently drive or live very close to school and have a bus service that is free.

This is about the most silver-spooned response I have ever read...

I guarantee kids would choose iPad over physical books, and this is about getting kids excited to learn.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
they are reaching now...

"no more slogging off to the bookstore to get..."

Yes.. because that is SOOOO burdensome. Spending $120 on a book that you barely use is obnoxious. Having to walk to the bookstore isn't a selling point. Convenient of course.. but how many trips to the bookstore (for school books) does one really make.

When I was in college - I went once (maybe twice) a semester

Why are you so against this? No one is forcing anyone to 1) buy ipads and 2) buy the books for them. The option is there for those who can to use it.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
I don't quite get iTunes U.

It provides a system that any sensible university should already provide for any device, whether its a Computer or even something as simple as a Feature Phone from 2005.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.