Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrcowdude20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I am looking for a battery grip for the Canon Rebel T3 (EOS 1100D). I have found a couple that are under $30 and wanted to know what you thought of that. Canon does not sell an official grip, so I wanted to know if anyone has one that is third-party. Should I, or not? Thanks!

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Just poppin a post in here couse I wanna know too, except for for the 60d!

I'd especially like to know what the differences are between OEM and third-party.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I am looking for a battery grip for the Canon Rebel T3 (EOS 1100D). I have found a couple that are under $30 and wanted to know what you thought of that. Canon does not sell an official grip, so I wanted to know if anyone has one that is third-party. Should I, or not? Thanks!

I have a Meice (sp?) battery grip for my 7D. Its not the best build quality and I wouldnt keep it on the camera all the time as I use a Black Rapid strap which screws in at the bottom and when I use the strap with grip, the grip gives me the feeling that if it got a crack (which wouldnt be hard), the strap would be dangling on its own, camera on the floor.

I use it only for time lapse as it has a built in timer. I'd suggest buying a canon one but I have never held one to know. Buy one, try it, bring it back.

Hipnomac

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Chicago
I have a Meice (sp?) battery grip for my 7D. Its not the best build quality and I wouldnt keep it on the camera all the time as I use a Black Rapid strap which screws in at the bottom and when I use the strap with grip, the grip gives me the feeling that if it got a crack (which wouldnt be hard), the strap would be dangling on its own, camera on the floor.

I use it only for time lapse as it has a built in timer. I'd suggest buying a canon one but I have never held one to know. Buy one, try it, bring it back.

I have a Meike too for my T3i, bought it for under $40 on Ebay which included two third party batteries.

Everything works great, the build is actually decent, and all the extra buttons on the grip work. Never seen a OEM, but this does the job, looks good, so what else could you ask for $40.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
I had an Opteka on my T2i. I wanted to like it but I didn't. The battery tray slid in very cheesy and a couple of screws came off somehow in the underside so it wouldn't seat sometimes. I would have to press it into the camera even though it was fully screwed in. Shame really because I really like my Opteka intervalometer.

Now on my 7D I have a Zeikos. It is much better quality in my opinion. Just solid and little things like having a tray built in that holds your battery door so you don't misplace it. The thing lives on my camera and hasn't let me down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.