Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icecreamtruck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Hi Friends --

Are any of you able to identify the year that the following MacBook Pro was made? The following is ALL the information I have. I bought it off of ebay and now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I can't afford a new one though...and I break things. It's for myself and some youth!

Macbook Pro 15" Aluminum w/webcam

120Gb Hard Drive

2Gb Memory

Airport Card

Power Cord

OS 10.6 Snow Leopard

Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 10.48.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 10.48.12 PM.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 323

icecreamtruck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Thanks guys but these are all the specs I have. I don't actually have the laptop or the serial number. I just bought it off of ebay and it's in the mail. I wondered if you could tell from the picture and the specs combined...

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Looks like the Base 2007 model that includes:
  • 15.4-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1440-by-900 LCD display;
  • 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor;
  • 2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB;
  • 120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;
  • a slot-load 8x SuperDrive® with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drive;
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB GDDR3 memory;
  • DVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately);
  • built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Display;
  • built-in iSight video camera;
  • Gigabit Ethernet port;
  • built-in AirPort Extreme® 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;
  • ExpressCard/34 expansion card slot;
  • two USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port, and one FireWire 400 port;
    one audio line in and one headphone out port, each supporting optical digital audio;
  • Scrolling TrackPad and illuminated keyboard; and
  • 85 Watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter.

icecreamtruck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Thank you! I hope I didn't make a mistake. I needed something while I save up for something new. It cost me $330. What do you say?

cardude280

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
West Virginia
I don't look at the 15's that much but it looks like a good deal to me and I believe since its a core 2 you should be able to install lion on it if you would want.

Congratulations on your purchase

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Looks like the Base 2007 model that includes:

It could even be a 1st gen core duo or the late 2006 core 2 duo (which is what I have). Either way, it's not a bad laptop at all. It's nothing amazing compared to today's technology, but it's certainly a great first laptop!

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
If it's a C2D and can take 4GB RAM, upgrade that yourself and install Lion.

I did the upgrade on my 2007 MBP and Lion runs beautifully on it.

I agree. I wouldn't install Lion on anything with "only" 2 GB RAM on it. You need 4. Which is, of course, moronic that you need that much RAM to run the system and apps well.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I wouldn't upgrade to Lion. It comes with SL, which is good enough as an operating system.

Upgrading to 4 GB of ram could be useful, but is not necessary. Good luck with the machine.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I wouldn't upgrade to Lion. It comes with SL, which is good enough as an operating system.

Upgrading to 4 GB of ram could be useful, but is not necessary. Good luck with the machine.

If it is one of the early machines(2006 core duo) it already has maxed out RAM.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I agree. I wouldn't install Lion on anything with "only" 2 GB RAM on it. You need 4. Which is, of course, moronic that you need that much RAM to run the system and apps well.

Isn't it? OS X needs to go on a serious diet.

That said, feed it enough RAM and Lion is quite spectacular, IMHO. With RAM being so inexpensive these days perhaps it doesn't matter.

It's a scaling thing. Ram consumption increases slowed down when we started to really hit the 32 bit ceiling. Given that Lion is basically a full transition to 64 afaik that means addressing information in larger chunks. I don't actually like Lion, but ram requirements have very little to do with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.