Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
So iBook's proprietary format will fail because everyone who hates proprietary formats will rush on over to use Amazon's proprietary format.

Right. Makes total sense.

Amazon has a propriety format not tied to a single device. Apple has a propriety format tied to a single device.

With amazon, I can read a book on my ipad and then read the same book on my computer using one account.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Amazon has a propriety format not tied to a single device. Apple has a propriety format tied to a single device.

With amazon, I can read a book on my ipad and then read the same book on my computer using one account.

But the question is, if you can publish that book outside the amazon store?

1 Exclusivity. When you include a Digital Book in KDP Select, you give us the exclusive right to sell and distribute your Digital Book in digital format while your book is in KDP Select. During this period of exclusivity, you cannot sell or distribute, or give anyone else the right to sell or distribute, your Digital Book (or content that is reasonably likely to compete commercially with your Digital Book, diminish its value, or be confused with it), in digital format in any territory where you have rights.

https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=APILE934L348N

Looks like you can't. It looks like it might even be more restrictive then Apples even if you use different software other then Amazons to publish the book with it.

Last edited:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Interesting. So Apple allows you to sell a version of your book made with iBooks Author and at the same time sell a version in KDP Select, but Amazon doesn't allow it?

With Apple you could, but since you are selling it in the Apple store it might break the terms you set with Amazon by doing that.

But you can't sell that version you made with Apples "iBooks Author" directly to Amazon unless you made the exact same contents with another software program.

tinisoli

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
And their iBooks Author software is dead on arrival by definition: Its license locks the authors exclusively into the iBooks store, even if Apple decides to NOT publish the work, the authors will not be allowed to publish it anywhere else. Those terms are completely unacceptable, especially since the iBooks Store is not nearly as attractive as Amazon's Kindle Store and only reaches a fraction of the audience. That software is a desperate and unethical attempt at catching authors that don't read the fine print.

This is wrong. The only thing that becomes exclusive to Apple's iBooks store is any iBook that you write in the iBooks Author application and then post for sale in the iBooks store. If you publish another version of the same book by other means via another service, you do not owe Apple anything. The Pearson and McGraw Hill textbooks that went on sale this week, for example, will continue to be published by others means, and Apple will not receive a dime from those sales.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
That's one of the reasons Jobs was so successful. You can tell that he spent years thinking about things like digital textbooks before he started thinking about the iPad.

Most of us weren't sure what an iPad was for when we first saw it. But Steve had already been dreaming up answers to that for many, many years.

Or Bill Gates if you read his book from 1998. Bottom line, the iPad form factor was something that had been talked about for years before the iPad came out. And I'm not talking about the tablet PC. That's why other companies introduced IPad like tablets before the iPad.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Or Bill Gates if you read his book from 1998. Bottom line, the iPad form factor was something that had been talked about for years before the iPad came out. And I'm not talking about the tablet PC. That's why other companies introduced IPad like tablets before the iPad.

Or if you read Steve's Biography and Wozniak talk about how he mentioned a book size portable back before the Mac.

----------

ePub being a subset of HTML 5 and CSS 3 extends HTML 5 to more platforms and profit centers.

Even Microsoft realizes ePub 3.0 will be the target platform to offer for book formats in their upcoming embedded platforms. If not, they deserve to continue seeing their market share erode.

AardvarkOldBoy

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Washington, DC
meeting of the minds?

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall of this conversation with Terry and Steve.

McGraw, the right wing malaprop, and karmic Steve would not likely agree on anything - that is if Terry could even keep pace with the conversation. I find his participation in this announcement especially distasteful as he is packaging up the publishing assets of McGraw Hill for sale, striving to exit the education business, so he can ride the government licensed monopoly that is Standard and Poors to Wall Street glory.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I guess Apple wasn't 'successful' before 2001? Hmm... I was always pretty excited and interested in all things Apple since 1980's.

The mouse, the laptop, the CD player, hypercard, digital camera...

Just....wow.

Mouse: Xerox
Laptop: Osborne
CD player: Sony
Digital camera: Kodak

A quick google search will show you the details.

Hypercard was just a software mishmash of a database and links (yes pre-web), and really has no place on the list and didn't have much impact.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Just....wow.

A quick Google search will show you the details.

Hypercard was just a software mishmash of a database and links (yes pre-web), and really has no place on the list and didn't have much impact.

CD and player: Philips ;) (I'm a bit chauvinistic).

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Just....wow.

A quick google search will show you the details.

Agreed, on all front but where are these companies now? Some of of them are either bankrupt(Kodak), or struggling to find relevancy.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Interesting. So Apple allows you to sell a version of your book made with iBooks Author and at the same time sell a version in KDP Select, but Amazon doesn't allow it?

KDP Select is an upgraded version of KDP so to speak. I was looking at it a while ago and the only time you get hit with what I believe is a 90 day exclusive is if you use the upgraded service which includes your book being put on some special list and getting basic Amazon doing advertisements for you. Have the exclusive period the restriction is dropped but your book stays on said list.

You have the choice of not using the select service and getting on the kindle and even then it only a short term exclusive and restricted to only electric versions. Unlike Apple with looks like it includes print versions as well.
How many gigs would a whole Textbook be with all the extra stuff they want to cram in there?

Even without the extra stuff......

A full time student would need a 128 gig iPad I imagine.

Those books are HUGE !

what makes you say that. Full time student is going to have at most 6 classes. So that might add up to being 18 gigs on books but chances are good they will not be at 6 classes and most of the books will be smaller in size.

It is not like the books need to say on there full time. Hell even keeping one semester back might all that is needed.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
How many gigs would a whole Textbook be with all the extra stuff they want to cram in there?

Those books are HUGE !

They'd live in the Icloud, I suspect.

...since any problem can be solved by using the proper magical mixture of Icloud and T-Bolt. ;)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Man, too bad this will probably not come into use at most schools until I am out of school. Stupid real textbooks. They're a big waste of money, paper, and energy (carrying them around).

----------

Whoo is Steve Jobs??

Cofounder of Apple, adopted Syrian-American, and the CEO who led it to greatness after he came back in 1998 or something after being fired for some number of years. While he was gone, Apple did horribly, so they brought him back. He died in late 2011 of cancer.

tinisoli

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012

Those books are HUGE !

The file size of an iBook depends in large part on the number of interactive widgets and the number (and length) of videos. There are ways around the video problem. It's possible to make an iBook that links out to the Web for large files such as videos, in which case an iBook that would otherwise be very large could be trimmed down quite a bit. But then of course you force the user to be on an active WiFi or cellular connection, and you run the risk of having dead links. And of course there's issue of incompatibility with Flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.