Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Now that Tiger seems to be getting into hands of more users (users who can be quite picky), what little things in Tiger have you discovered. I guess I'll start with an improved Finder that is faster, and also importantly, takes a smaller footprint.

Panther vs Tiger:
panther-tiger-finder.gif

I've also noticed Finder is about 50% faster (smoother) in re-sizing its window.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
3 brightness bars

Here's another new feature in Tiger.

When running your PowerBook on batteries and your screen brightness is set to 1 bar, plugging in the power adapter will automatically set the brightness 3 bars brighter. Checking in the Energy Savings preferences, the change can be made in the Battery control panel.

I find it annoying so I turned off the feature.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Lacero said:
Now that Tiger seems to be getting into hands of more users (users who can be quite picky), what little things in Tiger have you discovered. I guess I'll start with an improved Finder that is faster, and also importantly, takes a smaller footprint.

Panther vs Tiger:
panther-tiger-finder.gif

I've also noticed Finder is about 50% faster (smoother) in re-sizing its window.

I'm glad they've done something with the finder window - in Panther so much space was wasted...

Androit

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2005
Houston
latergator116 said:
They got rid of that annoying menu bar in system preferences and slimmed it down.

I'm glad its slimmed down, I just wish you could drag a couple preference panes to the space between the search bar and the "Show All"

Androit

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2005
Houston
Stella said:
I'm glad they've done something with the finder window - in Panther so much space was wasted...

Although I always thing slimming is good, but it doesn't seem all that dramatic. But like I said slimming is good, even if it just a little.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Lacero said:
When running your PowerBook on batteries and your screen brightness is set to 1 bar, plugging in the power adapter will automatically set the brightness 3 bars brighter. Checking in the Energy Savings preferences, the change can be made in the Battery control panel.

Is this configurable, so that you can set the level you want the brightness to be at on and off battery?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Dashboard

If you want to close widgets without first opening the sliding widget drawer, you can move your cursor over a widget, and pressing Option, a small circled x will appear over the selected widget.

In the MWSF demo, Steve cycled through the different Weather widget animations, you can do the same by Command+Option clicking on the icons. Invoking Dashboard again will reset the animation.

woodsey

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2001
Place your cursor over any word and press apple-ctrl-d.

It reveals a dictionary definition of the word.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
I really like how when you download a widget you dont have to install it, it just appears in dashboard. One little annoying this is in Safari. If I download an application it comes up with a warning message that you have to acknowledge everytime. Also in Address Book when you send an SMS you have to click send instead of pressing entre. Also I love Spotlight, it is so damn fast.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
woodsey said:
Place your cursor over any word and press apple-ctrl-d.

It reveals a dictionary definition of the word.

Cool, nice find.

Has anyone else noticed that iCal now takes a little longer to close if any changes have been made. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I was always a little worried that iCal never really got those final changes I made before slamming down APPLE-Q. Of course, it always did. :) Nevertheless, it's pretty comforting to see that iCal is processing stuff, I suppose.

I must be in the greatest mood, I just convinced myself that a negative is a positive. :D

Also, the new birthdays feature in iCal is great!

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
the flag in the menu bar keeps changing from british :) to usa :mad: !! Anyone seen this?

woodsey

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2001
Although this has been discussed elsewhere within these forums, Tiger either boosts, or reduces your airport signal strength.

It boosted mine from 2 bars to full, so im not complaining :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Richard Youden said:
the flag in the menu bar keeps changing from british :) to usa :mad: !! Anyone seen this?

Do you have both UK/British and US/American layouts turned on in your international prefs? Does the switch happen when you change apps? It could be that you are popping into an app that wants to default to US English, or which stickies its localization choice (so that if you set it to US once, it stays that way even if you change back to British while you're on another app, changing permanently only if you change while you are in that app). Alternatively, are you accidentally hitting the keyboard combination to switch (Apple-Space)? It's easy to do accidentally... :rolleyes:

David Lundgren

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2003
Albany, NY
Actually, the message in Safari is a good thing and is at the heart of what is wrong in the Windows world. Whenever an application tries to install itself, Tiger lets you know about it, and you have to allow it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
David Lundgren said:
Actually, the message in Safari is a good thing and is at the heart of what is wrong in the Windows world. Whenever an application tries to install itself, Tiger lets you know about it, and you have to allow it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Yeah...think of the huge market for Adware and Spyware removers that was created in the Windows market because MSIE lets stuff onto your HD without properly warning you? :eek:

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I have a question about the new iChat. One thing I hate about ichat 2 is that when ever someone starts a new IM, I always have to hit accept. I wish there was a way to say that everyone in my buddylist is auto accepted and the window just opens up to full size. Is this corrected in iChat 3?

XNine

macrumors 68040
Burn folders is pretty stupid, and it won't allow you to rename blank media until you hit the burn icon. The idea behind burn folders is awesome though. Burn as it collects data instead of filling a DVD, then burning, wasting twice as much time..

thexmac

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2004
Onizuka said:
Burn folders is pretty stupid, and it won't allow you to rename blank media until you hit the burn icon. The idea behind bunr folders is awesome though. Burn as it colelcts data instead of filling a DVD, then burning, wasting twice as much time..-

I tried to create a burnable folder with my Preferences folder and it does not work...

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I've noticed that when you click and hold a dock icon now, it gives you a new option that says "Open at Login", which is new.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I'd say the biggest discovery for me is my increase in WiFi strength. My PB used to flux between 1 to 3 bars. I'm now running 3 bars minimum. I even hit 4 bars sometimes. My PM is now pegged with maximum WiFi power. That was worth the upgrade itself for me! :eek:

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
Fast

My iMac was never a slouch running Panther, but it freakin flies running Tiger. Everything seems to be quicker...even Safari.

My big surprise is Dashboard. I expected to love Spotlight (and I do), but I thought the whole dashboard idea was a little overrated. Boy was I wrong. I love it!

I switched to Panther from Windows 98, and I didn't think it could get any better than that. Let's just say Tiger has been a pleasant surprise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.