Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:49 AM   #26
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Very nice done; and Apple should pay them money and make some stuff part of official API.

Quite creative
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:17 AM   #27
Edsel
macrumors regular

This is proof that with 1000+ years of publishing technology, the humble book is still the preferred physical medium.
Edsel is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:38 AM   #28
Risco
macrumors 65816

This is has clearly been made with the sole intention of Apple buying up the patent. The fact it uses Apple private Api means it should be cheaper for them to acquire but still produce a tidy profit or income for the makers. Very nice touch, but I am not sure if it will ever become more than a gimmick.
Risco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:38 AM   #29
locust76
macrumors 6502a

This is so much cooler than it should be...
locust76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:41 AM   #30
ombrenelcielo
macrumors regular

wow.

One company more has lost the meaning of the word "innovation".

Paper based navigation is simply waste of resources and bad interface on medias different from paper I'm afraid.
ombrenelcielo is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:44 AM   #31
frabber
macrumors regular

These are the things OSX/IOS GUI stuff should be all about. Focus on core interaction and improve upon, instead of focusing on sueing everybody else... See Apple has all the money in the world and still can't come up with these ideas...
frabber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:52 AM   #32
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Agreed.

A bit too much
As a prototype, not all presented ideas must be implemented.
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:55 AM   #33
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2012 View Post
This will never take up, Apple likes simplicity. The experience they provide has to be for 8 Year olds as well as 80 year olds.

Sorry, nice video though.
Just like all the three-, four- and five-touch gestures that are already on the iPad, right?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:58 AM   #34
vulcan33
macrumors newbie

This is not a shot across the Kindle bow....

It's a shot into the bow.....Below the water line!
The buyout contracts are flowing from the printer as we speak.
Go Baby!
vulcan33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:04 AM   #35
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

That alone would make me buy an ipad. Thats some slick stuff right there. It loos so effortless as if it were the real thing.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:07 AM   #36
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple likes the idea so much they bought the concept from KAIST and it becomes a part of iBooks --if only to keep it out of the hands of Samsung! Besides, Apple could implement a settings interface so you can adjust how the page turning works so even an eight-year-old could use it.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:09 AM   #37
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamail View Post
I wonder. Might not be the case.

These gestures I think can pretty much co-exist with the simple ones implemented so far. From what I can tell they do not re-define them. If you don't tell people about these extra gestures they would probably not realize they're there.
And if they accidentally discover some, they might be intuitive enough for them to figure out how they work.

Hope Apple licenses these patents.
[Though they are notoriously bad at accepting Things Not Invented Here...]
Exactly my thoughts when I was reading others negative posts. Come on people, I think its obvious gestures would change, new ones could just be added and used only if the user chooses. Over time, they will discover how to use the new gestures. Whats so hard about that.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:24 AM   #38
Digitalclips
macrumors 65816

I totally disagree with this and all those that like it, just my opinion of course.

When the first cars were made people wanted running boards on the sides ... why because horse drawn carriages had them.

Here we have a digital based system that offers a million things paper pages didn't have and people are wanting features that were a function due entirely to the limitations of paper! They may as well design the pages to turn yellow over time and the pictures to fade. Oh and the corners of the cover to get dog eared after you read the book a hundred times.

I find page turn simulation annoying. It is like amateur video editors that use transitions between every clip ...

I also think those saying the iBook Author is lacking by listing things like footnote and other things paper books have are not thinking. Paper books don't have the ability to use a hyper link so they have many work-a-rounds such as footnotes. Many aspects of paper books are simply redundant in a digital book so simply not needed!

Excuse me, my Mac keyboard needs a new nib ...

Last edited by Digitalclips; Jan 23, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Digitalclips is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:43 AM   #39
BobbyRond
macrumors regular

I work for an Apple Premium Reseller and I know that a lot of people have to get used to multi-touch. For the trackpads but also on the iPad. Mostly elderly people have difficulty even tapping an icon. They hold it for too long and makes the icons wobble (so you can re-order them).

The two, three or four finger page flip seems logical, but sliding the thumb from the bezel to the middle and then back, that's going to confuse a lot of people. Same goes for how long you keep your finger on screen before you swipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalclips View Post
When the first cars were made people wanted running boards on the sides ... why because horse drawn carriages had them.
I can't agree more with you. People have to stop trying to make a touch interface resemble a paper book. Look at iBooks 2, it's no longer static, it's interactive. That's something that pushes the human race forward in stead of clamping to something that looks familiar.

Yes, Multi-touch page flipping is gimmicky and nicely thought of, but that's all it should stay.

EDIT: Wow... 'human race' is a bit overdone... Let's just say it pushes technology forward.
BobbyRond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:47 AM   #40
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

This has to be incorporated into the next versions of iBooks. It's just too convenient to not be.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:48 AM   #41
Digitalclips
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
This is has clearly been made with the sole intention of Apple buying up the patent. The fact it uses Apple private Api means it should be cheaper for them to acquire but still produce a tidy profit or income for the makers. Very nice touch, but I am not sure if it will ever become more than a gimmick.
Let Google buy it and make their next Apple copy cat thing even worse
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:50 AM   #42
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamail View Post
Not a single flaw in any of their implementations.
Just one: it's unnecessary. It makes for nice eye candy, but that's about it. Why should I struggle with flipping virtual pages when, by tapping, I can get an entire visual index at the bottom of the page? I agree with others: e-books aren't paper books. It's not about re-creating the mannerisms of a real book; it's about finding new ways to interact that are more efficient than a real book.
jayducharme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:50 AM   #43
Digitalclips
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRond View Post
I work for an Apple Premium Reseller and I know that a lot of people have to get used to multi-touch. For the trackpads but also on the iPad. Mostly elderly people have difficulty even tapping an icon. They hold it for too long and makes the icons wobble (so you can re-order them).

The two, three or four finger page flip seems logical, but sliding the thumb from the bezel to the middle and then back, that's going to confuse a lot of people. Same goes for how long you keep your finger on screen before you swipe.

I can't agree more with you. People have to stop trying to make a touch interface resemble a paper book. Look at iBooks 2, it's no longer static, it's interactive. That's something that pushes the human race forward in stead of clamping to something that looks familiar.

Yes, Multi-touch page flipping is gimmicky and nicely thought of, but that's all it should stay.

EDIT: Wow... 'human race' is a bit overdone... Let's just say it pushes technology forward.
I suspect Apple considered this silly effect and dismissed it for the very reasons we agree on. Now I think about it, how many people over the many centuries of reading a paper book got excited about the visual look of pages turning? "Oh look at this new work by Leonardo I have ... no never mind the helicopter .. look the page turns so beautifully!"
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:11 AM   #44
rebby
macrumors 6502

I think that it's a nice demonstration of what can be done but I do question the "real world" usability. Nothing really stood out during the video as; I've gotta have this! In fact, a lot of the features looked as if they could be pretty annoying during day to day use.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:14 AM   #45
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

The inside bezel, outside bezel gestures are really nice. The 1-4 page flips are kinda unnecessary for me but would be nice to have as options. I like that they're looking at ways of improving navigation, though. Plenty of room for improvement.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:17 AM   #46
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Good luck defending this one. Multi-page flipping was done in PARC in the 90s.
CFreymarc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:17 AM   #47
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

This already works in Poland.

They wet their finger!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:19 AM   #48
frabber
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
Just one: it's unnecessary. It makes for nice eye candy, but that's about it. Why should I struggle with flipping virtual pages when, by tapping, I can get an entire visual index at the bottom of the page? I agree with others: e-books aren't paper books. It's not about re-creating the mannerisms of a real book; it's about finding new ways to interact that are more efficient than a real book.
This isn't mere eye-candy. You can control flipping using just a an inch or so of screen space with your thumb! It's well executed and if the control is accurate and precise this will be a blast. The flipping visual candy might be overkill but It adds to the experience (read accuracy) instead of taking away from the experience.

The point is page flipping is slow and cumbersome. This is a well thought out attempt to increase page flipping speed and accurracy. Don't be misled by the eye-candy.
frabber is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:20 AM   #49
Digitalclips
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebby View Post
I think that it's a nice demonstration of what can be done but I do question the "real world" usability. Nothing really stood out during the video as; I've gotta have this! In fact, a lot of the features looked as if they could be pretty annoying during day to day use.
Yep, it is called putting form over function. Totally silly and it is annoying, those Flash based presentations that used that technique became excruciating to use after the first few seconds.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:30 AM   #50
nylonsteel
macrumors 6502a

re original article

looks good to me

anything to better the human to machine interface is a good thing

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion