Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD reports on a new research note from Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry claiming that customers downloaded approximately 350,000 iBooks Textbooks from the iBookstore over the first three days of availability. That performance was accompanied by over 90,000 downloads of Apple's iBooks Author app from the Mac App Store.
If those numbers are accurate, Apple's textbook effort would seem to be off to a good start. Which is good news for everyone involved -- particularly textbook publishers, who stand to make more money on books sold through iBooks than those sold at retail.
With only eight iBooks Textbook titles available at launch, Apple and publishers are only beginning to scratch the surface of the digital textbook market. But it is unclear just how many of those 350,000 downloads were paid purchases, with seven of the eight titles carrying Apple's maximum $14.99 price tag.

ibooks_textbooks_triple.jpg

The eighth title, E.O. Wilson's Life on Earth, is available for free, although it currently contains only the first two chapters of the book, and presumably the title accounted for a significant number of the total downloads as curious users looked to test drive the new offering. Paid titles are also required to offer free samples, and Chowdhry apparently did not mention whether these are counted as "downloads" by his tracking method.

Article Link: Early iBooks Textbooks Downloads Estimated at 350,000

Soccer5se

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
South Korea
I downloaded E.O Wilson's book. Our kids are going to learn in a whole new and exciting way! I've also tried the Ibook Author software. If you know how to use Keynote, you can use iAuthor. I created a simple storybook for my daughter in about 20 min and she loved the different interactions!

I can't wait to see more from the ibook store!

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
I wonder why they couldn't launch this internationally from the start? I'd quite like to see how well these books work, but I guess we're a few months away from seeing them available in the UK.

--

Also, how do they estimate something like this when there's no real way of getting meaningful data (since the store, the delivery system and the end device are all thoroughly locked down by Apple) -- did they get stats from one of the publishers? Or did they just come up with what they believe is a credible sounding number before chucking it out there to get headlines?

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I downloaded E.O Wilson's book. Our kids are going to learn in a whole new and exciting way! I've also tried the Ibook Author software. If you know how to use Keynote, you can use iAuthor. I created a simple storybook for my daughter in about 20 min and she loved the different interactions!

I agree, it is mind blowing to think how this is going to change learning. Everyone knows learning is directly proportional to enthusiasm and interest. I just hope we see a special deal for iPads to schools purchasing.

----------

I wonder why they couldn't launch this internationally from the start? I'd quite like to see how well these books work, but I guess we're a few months away from seeing them available in the UK.

--

Also, how do they estimate something like this when there's no real way of getting meaningful data (since the store, the delivery system and the end device are all thoroughly locked down by Apple) -- did they get stats from one of the publishers? Or did they just come up with what they believe is a credible sounding number before chucking it out there to get headlines?

It will be worth the wait :)

Yes, I wonder how they got the data. Plus most of the new versions downloaded were probably the free demos limited to a partial chapter. It's early days though.

TheDaveKnight

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
I can't believe the only way to read these books is iPad, no other Mac.

In the future, how many people will fail tests or exams because their iPad failed just before and they had no other option?

The lesson Apple want to teach is to fear hardware failures and always carry a power adaptor.

jmitch720

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009

I've been playing with the iBook Author app as well. Just wondering, what kind of interactive elements did you create?

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
That's great news, hope this triggers a really positive reaction from educators and other publishers. I wish I could have had an iPad during my school years, and I hope that todays kids can benefit from this amazing technology as quickly as possible.

unconaction

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Emeryville,CA
The books are awesome. The authoring tool opens up the opportunity for instructors who have thought, "hey, I can write a better textbook than this" to do it. May be a bit of hyperbole, but this is akin to Apple bringing simple to use video editing tools to the Mac. It gave budding filmmakers the tools to do more professional work.
I thought I would never say this but I may start buying textbooks to read and enjoy, not because they are required. Amazing.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Probably 250,000+ were of the free book just to check it out. Still a significant update and interesting to see how it all pans out.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I downloaded the Life on Earth Intro as well and must say I am underwhelmed.
The ebook weights it at a hefty 998MB most of which is wasted on a few videos (including the dull intro). The actual text with information is really short and simple, not enough for even a highschool textbook in my opinion, but maybe I am being two critical here.

I hope a lot of publisher jump on the band wagon and get something going ..

T.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
e-book textbooks should never cost over $100. If Apple's new iBook ecosystem does nothing than shift the textbook marketplace to demand lower-cost e-books, it will be a huge win.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
The books are awesome. The authoring tool opens up the opportunity for instructors who have thought, "hey, I can write a better textbook than this" to do it. May be a bit of hyperbole, but this is akin to Apple bringing simple to use video editing tools to the Mac. It gave budding filmmakers the tools to do more professional work.
I thought I would never say this but I may start buying textbooks to read and enjoy, not because they are required. Amazing.

Excellent point! Now teachers could write their own textbooks/reading material for their class highlighting things they want their students to know. Its not just schools and colleges that can take advantage of this but businesses & personal use.

I downloaded the Life on Earth Intro as well and must say I am underwhelmed.
The ebook weights it at a hefty 998MB most of which is wasted on a few videos (including the dull intro). The actual text with information is really short and simple, not enough for even a highschool textbook in my opinion, but maybe I am being two critical here.

Well, its only the first two chapters. More are going to be added. I'm sure there is a lot of details that need to be worked out considering its a totally new concept. But it has much potential.

Last edited:

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK

--

They are available in UK since day 1, well at least Life on Earth.

Beside in UK we don't use the same textbooks that they use in US, and at launch Apple cannot have deal with all the publishers in the world.

Last edited:

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I tried to download the free book, but the download was so slow, I killed it. That's unusual for Apple - they usually have enough bandwidth.

With only about 15 books at launch, I think this launch seemed kind of lame. I wonder whether Jobs would have launched with such little content available. I also suspect that the college publishers refused to come along, either afraid of erosion of very expensive print textbooks or that there simply wasn't enough time to convert any very dense college textbooks to an appropriate level of interactivity. (Not to mention that many of the images contained within the books would have had to have their rights cleared for such use.)

Regardless of the potential, the cards are still out on this one. In the end, we may see a giant catalog of interactive learning materials developed and uploaded by amateurs, enthusiasts and teachers, rather than traditional publishers.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

I think that this is exactly the reason why iBooks will never be as successful as Amazon's Kindle platform. Kindle runs anywhere, from the web over PCs, Macs and all popular mobile platforms. The full featured version of iBooks only runs on the iPad.

The other show stopper is the license agreement of iBooks Author. Whoever agrees to these terms either hasn't read them or failed to understand the implications. On the other hand, Apple's iBooks Author EULA terms are probably either illegal in many countries or not enforceable, but they certainly reveal Apple's true colors and ugly face under the shiny design.

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
To all the whiners complaining that this isn't avail on the Mac or PC.....IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE INTERACTIVE - WITH TOUCH FEATURES!!!! That's the whole point of it.

Hello! If you want to view a PDF on your Mac/PC get in a time machine and travel back to 2011.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
To all the whiners complaining that this isn't avail on the Mac or PC.....IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE INTERACTIVE - WITH TOUCH FEATURES!!!! That's the whole point of it.

True. ;)

It's all about REAL "personal" computing now. Intimacy with the device, not adjustment to it.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ

Hello! If you want to view a PDF on your Mac/PC get in a time machine and travel back to 2011.

And we're in 2012, where platform should not matter in order to utilize something.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007

In the future, how many people will fail tests or exams because their iPad failed just before and they had no other option?

The lesson Apple want to teach is to fear hardware failures and always carry a power adaptor.

Since when have you been able to take text books into an exam? I knew things had got easier in the past 10 years but had no idea things had become so bad.

TheDaveKnight

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011

So, touching with your fingers so so essential to learning that you shouldn't even bother if you can only read text, view images or movies, or interact with your mouse?

Even multi-touch input devices Apple sells for its Macs are deemed insufficient for the new learning paradigm.

Wow, what a future.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I think that this is exactly the reason why iBooks will never be as successful as Amazon's Kindle platform. Kindle runs anywhere, from the web over PCs, Macs and all popular mobile platforms. The full featured version of iBooks only runs on the iPad.

The other show stopper is the license agreement of iBooks Author. Whoever agrees to these terms either hasn't read them or failed to understand the implications. On the other hand, Apple's iBooks Author EULA terms are probably either illegal in many countries or not enforceable, but they certainly reveal Apple's true colors and ugly face under the shiny design.

Sorry, wasn't the point of this textbook to get rid of tons of books off the shoulders of the kids? So why bother if I had to bring a 2.5kg PC at school anyway.

Beside, could you elaborate on the EULA terms?

And we're in 2012, where platform should not matter in order to utilize something.

So, touching with your fingers so so essential to learning that you shouldn't even bother if you can only read text, view images or movies, or interact with your mouse?

Even multi-touch input devices Apple sells for its Macs are deemed insufficient for the new learning paradigm.

Wow, what a future.

And as usual you guys are never happy with anything. Is never enough for you, there is always something to pick on.

1. Of course Apple will use their platform to launch their new textbook paradigm, why would they bother in the first place? It's a business, and as any other business they favor themselves. However, they do by bring something innovative.

Amazon they make not much on the hardware they sell, but they are a content provider, of course they are selling content and don't care much of the platform.

Apple is targeting at both content and hardware, as they always have been. If you are still not understanding this I don't know why they bother being here in the first place.

2. Of course they are using the iPad. Why is the iPad as being made in the first place? What have Steve Jobs have been talking at the D8 about being uneasy with new technology and PC being trucks? Isn't also an iPad bring a better experience overall than PCs? Cost less, have more battery and have a better paradigm in interaction compared to average PCs?

Last edited:

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV

How's that "full featured" version of Kindle working out?

TheDaveKnight

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Since when have you been able to take text books into an exam? I knew things had got easier in the past 10 years but had no idea things had become so bad.

How long do Apple take to repair iPads? Days if you live near a store? Weeks otherwise?

And you can't even read the text of the book while your iPad is away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.