Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've been following the development of Apple's first Dutch retail store for some time now, as issues over historic preservation have slowed the timetable for construction at the landmark Hirsch building in Amsterdam. But things now appear to be coming together as iPhoneclub.nl [Google translation] and One More Thing [Google translation] offer a number of details on plans for the store, which seems to be headed for a February 18 opening.

hirsch_building_amsterdam.jpg

According to reports, much of the store staff is currently in training at the Amsterdam Hilton, while Geniuses have been trained at a number of UK stores. A third-party company responsible for the maintenance services on the store once it is opened is reportedly set to begin work in mid-February, with One More Thing specifically claiming that the opening will take place on February 18.

apple_store_amsterdam_staircase.jpg

Among the interesting developments in recent days was a windstorm over the weekend that pulled away some of the coverings from the exterior of the store to reveal the spiral glass staircase that customers will see front and center upon entering the two-level store.

apple_store_amsterdam_floor_plans.jpg

Floor plans obtained by One More Thing show product displays and a massive 20-seat Genius Bar on the first level of the store, with additional product displays, third-party accessories, training and set-up, and a Briefing Room filling out the second floor. The store is topped with a pyramid-shaped glass roof over a portion of the sales floor, with the second floor left open as a void to allow the light to filter down to the first floor and increase the store's openness. Offices for Apple's operations in the region will be located on upper floors of the building.

Article Link: Apple's First Dutch Retail Store to Open in Amsterdam on February 18?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Wow, that genius bar is just huge if that turns out to be correct. And well, finally an official Apple Store in the Netherlands.

hoing

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Apple should spend this money on suing Android instead of new stores. Oh wait. Apple is too buthurt that android is taking over.

Posted from my Motorola Z00m (kaPow apple)

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
It's about time.

Not good news for iCentre and MacHouse which are both only 5 minutes away. They currently have a total lack of differentiation over the Apple store, are much smaller in terms of floor space and therefore have less products to offer. They will need to do something in order to survive, but this will be difficult if they can't compete on the product level. Service-wise they are also screwed with the amount of geniuses and seminars the Apple Store will offer, and you can bet that the Apple Store will get new products with limited supply before APR's do.

chatfan

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
in mah cribb yo
In true Amsterdam fashion the genius "bar" is the biggest part of the shop. With any help you get a choice of a free heineken or "sigaret" You can pick your genius from girls and guys parading behind red windows.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re the glass display window

first thing i thought of when i saw the showcase window was amsterdams red light district

altcomputing

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
Wait, isn't Amsterdam in The Netherlands? Dutch is for Denmark, which is, well, a different country at all...

It's like you say for Berlin Apple Store to open new for Poland... OK, it's only a few kilometers away from my place, but it's Germany, not Poland ;)

EDIT: I got it. After reading it three times I understood what you meant ;) Sorry for posting after three quite strong beers. This will not happen again.

But after all, please post news in a fashion that will not suggest a different location in the first sentence :) Thank You.

Last edited:

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Wait, isn't Amsterdam in The Netherlands? Dutch is for Denmark, which is, well, a different country at all.
Yes Amsterdam is in Holland, Netherlands. Dutch is for The Netherlands, Danish is for Denmark... did you not have geography in school?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Wow, that genius bar is just huge if that turns out to be correct. And well, finally an official Apple Store in the Netherlands.

Well, they just call it a "Genius" Bar. They don't really have any geniuses there. Nor coffee.

----------

Wait, isn't Amsterdam in The Netherlands? Dutch is for Denmark, which is, well, a different country at all...

It's like you say for Berlin Apple Store to open new for Poland... OK, it's only a few kilometers away from my place, but it's Germany, not Poland ;)

EDIT: I got it. After reading it three times I understood what you meant ;) Sorry for posting after three quite strong beers. This will not happen again.

But after all, please post news in a fashion that will not suggest a different location in the first sentence :) Thank You.

Now I'm confused. Isn't Poland part of Germany? /alternate_timeline :cool:

----------

Yes Amsterdam is in Holland, Netherlands. Dutch is for The Netherlands, Danish is for Denmark... did you not have geography in school?

I think he's from yet another alternate timeline. Damn that ruptured space-time continuum!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hehe :) (Dutch for Finally!).

Next one in Brabant, oke? :).

Agreed

Gezellig!! :D

Yes it is.

Why "they" down voted you is beyond My comprehension.:confused:
Must have been comments from the Northies.:p

Brabant would be a good place for the next one, s'Hertogenbosch would be perfect.
If all the People from Brabant could get a share of the sales of Essent all of them could afford a new iPad.:cool:
But instead of that the government decided to Tax the province more, talk about unfair:(
Brabant is the Motor of the Netherlands, whether you like it in the north(Holland provinces) or not.
Became time though, although not the biggest market people have been buying Apple's stuff for ages there.

On the other side, who cares, don't live there anymore.

JeroenvdSchaaf

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Very good news indeed.

iCentre - at least the store in Uitgeest - has been sliding down in service and customer approach rapidly the past 2-3 years. Arrogance, inexperienced 'sales'-ppl and a worsening service. The only reason to buy there - for me - is because it's closest and they maintain stock.

I hope they are either forced to close Uitgeest, or that they survive because they actually realize in the very near future they need to up their service level and approach of customers - and strive to be the best Apple store in Holland.

The current management is making money way to easy - time for them to actually start working, fire 75% of the dumb employees and get some decent ppl in who actually know how to act when servicing customers when selling Apple.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I know it's been said here before but FINALLY :D

Although I'm living in Ireland now and there is still no mention of one opening anywhere in this country. Even though Apple has their EMEA headquarters here in Cork they never bothered to open up a store :(

But I'm happy for my fellow Dutchmen and I'll certainly visit the store when I'm over on a holiday. Holland has 4% lower VAT (Sales tax) now than Ireland so that's a great help :)

Edit: By the way I hope that blue on the spiral staircase siderail is just a plastic cover or something. It's not really 'Apple'. In the other Apple stores I've been to it was usually either plain wood or brushed metal if I'm not mistaken.

----------

I think he's from yet another alternate timeline. Damn that ruptured space-time continuum!

It's a side-effect of the reality distortion field!

Usain

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Rotterdam
Mooi, al die Nederlanders hiero. Er moet een Apple Store komen Rotterdam, dan ben ik tevreden!

If you don't understand this you can't read dutch.

secondreality

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Edit: By the way I hope that blue on the spiral staircase siderail is just a plastic cover or something. It's not really 'Apple'. In the other Apple stores I've been to it was usually either plain wood or brushed metal if I'm not mistaken.

----------

It's a side-effect of the reality distortion field!

If you look closely the thing with the blue siderail is some protection in front of the glass stairs. A seperate plexiglass shield for construction purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.