Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_u_icon_crop-150x103.jpg

Details of Adam Lashinsky's new Inside Apple book set to debut tomorrow continue to surface, and while some of the ideas behind the company's "Apple University" program for training the next generation of executives were previously disclosed in Lashinsky's original Fortune piece on the topic and in a Los Angeles Times article last October, the new book takes a more extensive look at the concept.

As had been previously disclosed, Apple in 2008 hired Yale School of Management dean Joel Podolny to head up the Apple University initiative on management training. Several other professors, including Harvard business historian Richard Tedlow, came on board in consulting roles to help develop the curriculum. Classes were primarily taught by Apple executives, with guidance offered by Podolny and the other professors.
Examples of the case studies being taught at Apple University include the story of how Apple crafted its retail strategy from scratch and Apple's approach to commissioning factories in China. Wherever possible the cases shine a light on mishaps, the thinking being that a company has the most to learn from its mistakes.
Tedlow quietly retired from Harvard last year, and is now working full-time for Apple to add his expertise on U.S. business history to the Apple University curriculum. His lectures reportedly draw upon crises and missteps experienced by other major businesses, events which offer lessons to help Apple's future leaders avoid similar pitfalls and learn how to respond when faced with adversity.
[H]e is teaching them business lessons about other companies that the Apple executives can apply to their own situations. For instance, Tedlow has lectured Apple's PR staff on the Tylenol tampering crisis of 1982 and how the McNeil Consumer Products unit of Johnson & Johnson responded. He taught a class for executives about the fallen grocery store chain A&P as an example of what happened to a company that once dominated its field. Quipped an attendee: "We were all trying to figure out what A&P had to do with Apple."
Lashinsky notes it that will be interesting to watch how the company that shunned traditional business school business practices under Steve Jobs evolves over time now that academics have been brought in to help mold the next generation of Apple leaders. That evolution will, however, likely take years before it becomes apparent to the public.

Article Link: 'Apple University' Trains Future Apple Executives with Focus on Missteps of Apple and Others

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
So they will tech about iPhone, Final Cut Pro and iMovie, right?

1. IMovie has already been spoiled, so the Mac is no longer suitable for easy video editing at less than the price for Adobe Premiere. Want to edit your holidays videos? You need to buy a PC.

You shouldn't spoil a good product that people like with something horrible that only a couple of programmers like.

You should listen to your customers. If they say they hate it, maybe you should listen to them.

2. Iphone, it's becoming a boring platform. Android is catching on very quickly, and I think it will eventually dominate the industry and push IOS to a minority. We're seeing what happened to Macintosh when Windows 95 became popular. Apple is repeating the exact mistakes over again.

3. Final Cut Pro: How to betray, disrespect, and even bankrupt your loyal professional customer base. This one doesn't even need an explanation. It's just that bad

I hope they teach about those things first.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
1. IMovie has already been spoiled, so the Mac is no longer suitable for easy video editing at less than the price for Adobe Premiere. Want to edit your holidays videos? You need to buy a PC.
Because Premiere or Premiere Elements totally won't run on a Mac.
2. Iphone, it's becoming a boring platform. Android is catching on very quickly, and I think it will eventually dominate the industry and push IOS to a minority. We're seeing what happened to Macintosh when Windows 95 became popular. Apple is repeating the exact mistakes over again.
Because a product is only successful if it outsells all of its competitors, regardless of how many gazillions of dollars in profits it earns you.
3. Final Cut Pro: How to betray, disrespect, and even bankrupt your loyal professional customer base. This one doesn't even need an explanation. It's just that bad
Well, I can't argue with that one.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm not sure how that relates to Apple's astounding record sales of the same product, that, keep in mind, is barely one of the only two (or three) smartphones Apple makes.

Where was the huge deluge of returns? Why are we seeing this?

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/0...rankings-of-smartphone-consumer-satisfaction/

Must be a rounding error. Or something.

Just because people didn't return the phone, doesn't mean the iPhone 4 had a rather shoddy antenna design (which has been completely rectified with the iPhone 4S).

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
I love the long term thinking of Apple management. They don't think growth & profits in quarters like most corporations, but decades. Apple will be part of my long term investment portfolio.

Thanks, Steve. Hope Apple got your DNA for the future.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I wonder if the text books are iPad based. :D

No they are using windows 95 laptops just for laughs and who does not like the color blue. ;)

----------

You shouldn't spoil a good product that people like with something horrible that only a couple of programmers like.

You should listen to your customers. If they say they hate it, maybe you should listen to them.

I hope they teach about those things first.

And now was iMovie spoiled, been using it lately what was different from before?:confused:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
An effective management style and team can have its skills applied to essentially any industry. That is the takeaway of this internal secret effort staffed by the world's best experts. This is Apple preparing itself for long term continued high growth.

Amazon wants to sell everything. Apple wants to brand everything. They are interestingly not in direct competition.

Rocketman

http://www.druckerinstitute.com/

The Wall Street Journal wrote that the five undergraduate Claremont colleges are the “intellectual capital of the western world,”

Last edited:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I'm not sure how that relates to Apple's astounding record sales of the same product, that, keep in mind, is barely one of the only two (or three) smartphones Apple makes.

Where was the huge deluge of returns? Why are we seeing this?

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/0...rankings-of-smartphone-consumer-satisfaction/

Must be a rounding error. Or something.

There was a huge problem with the antenna, even Steve understood this, he cut his vacation short once he heard about it, and got together with Ive. Because those 2 together ignored the engineers warnings and pushed the design forward.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Just because people didn't return the phone, doesn't mean the iPhone 4 had a rather shoddy antenna design (which has been completely rectified with the iPhone 4S).

The allegedly "shoddy antenna design" turned out to be next to meaningless under conditions of regular, normal use.

But the press got hold of the story and just ran with it. Apple had to do some damage control, about a problem that didn't actually need to be addressed at the speed and gravity with which it was.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
How about they teach new executives not to abandon their most faithful long-time customers, the Mac Pro crowd!

WHERE IS OUR MAC PRO!?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The allegedly "shoddy antenna design" turned out to be next to meaningless under conditions of regular, normal use.

But the press got hold of the story and just ran with it. Apple had to do some damage control, about a problem that didn't actually need to be addressed at the speed and gravity with which it was.

Without derailing this thread, you can believe that all you want. It is people who get 5 bars of reception have no issues. I get 3-4 bars of 3G and it is enough to lose signal completely holding it on my left hand.

The problem is very real and some people aren't affected by it because they live in high reception areas. However, even if the iPhone 4 didn't have an antenna issue, I'd still use a case on it to protect it, so I'm not bothered either way.

Anyway, my original post was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.