Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kk05629

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Greetings...I have a mac mini server that did not automatically restart after a power failure. I do have the the server power setting option "Start up automatically after a power failure" setting enabled (See attached screenshot)

Are there any other settings I have to enable to get this feature working correctly? Or I am not completely understanding the setting (entirely possible :rolleyes:).

Any direction is appreciated.

Attachments

• MacMiniserver screenshot.jpg
    MacMiniserver screenshot.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,157

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Looks like you did everything correctly. You can try the "reset the PRAM" trick (Reboot -- hold Command+Option+P+R until after the first chime [and subsequent reboot]), but I don't see any settings you can modify in the Open Firmware to get your computer to automatically restart after a power failure.

-Aaron-

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Click restore settings then reboot then edit to your needs and lock the settings. Reboot and test. Should sort it as I had to do this.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Looks like you did everything correctly. You can try the "reset the PRAM" trick (Reboot -- hold Command+Option+P+R until after the first chime [and subsequent reboot]), but I don't see any settings you can modify in the Open Firmware to get your computer to automatically restart after a power failure.

-Aaron-

You would actually want to reset SMU, not PRAM. SMU handles all power functions.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Thinking outside the box here.... why not invest in a cheap UPS? With the power load of a Mini you should be able to run it off the battery for longish bit of time, plus if you get a UPS that connects to the Mini when the battery is about to deplete the Mini will gracefully shut down instead of having the rug pulled out from under the file system.

Presumably you are using the server version because you want it to server something up as reliably as possible.

Cheers

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Thinking outside the box here.... why not invest in a cheap UPS?

You still want the feature to work, as when OS X shuts down due to power failure while on a UPS, it will automatically restart when power returns.

A.

Glenn Gerrard

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
Belgium
Hi - Did you get this working? If so how? I have the same issue on the iMac I am using as the family server - the UPS will shut it down, but it doesn't come back up when the power is restored to the UPS.

Thanks

kk05629

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Never got it working

Sorry to say...I never could figure out how t get this to work. Got tired of searching...so I just abandoned the pursuit.

All apologies.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
If you have a Mid-2010 model.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 11.27.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 11.27.19 AM.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 735

Snips

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Suffolk, UK
... plus if you get a UPS that connects to the Mini when the battery is about to deplete the Mini will gracefully shut down instead of having the rug pulled out from under the file system.

I appreciate that laptops hibernate when the power is low, but would a desktop do that too?

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Yeah if you have a UPS that OSX recognizes, it'll allow for auto shutdown on a predefined schedule.

It's true that OS X will support some UPSes and that you can configure how it reacts to a power outage in the Energy Saver preferences, but I've noticed that at least on my oooold Mac Mini (1.83GHz Core Duo model) that the "Restart automatically after a power failure" option only seems to work with *sudden* power outages, but *not* if OS X performs a graceful shutdown triggered by a UPS (I guess because then it is already off when the UPS battery finally dies, so that option no longer applies?). Which means I have to leave my UPS' USB cable unplugged from the Mac to make the auto-power-on option work.

Which is annoying. :p

-- Nathan

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I have my Mini set to turn on at 6am (or so) on a schedule. If the system has had to turn off at night due to an overnight power outage it's back on when I wake up (if the power is on).... If the power is still off ... I think it might turn itself back on later when the power restores... but I'm not sure about that.... something to try out though, I suppose.

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2011
BC
I have my Mini set to turn on at 6am (or so) on a schedule. If the system has had to turn off at night due to an overnight power outage it's back on when I wake up (if the power is on).... If the power is still off ... I think it might turn itself back on later when the power restores... but I'm not sure about that.... something to try out though, I suppose.

This is exactly what I do with all our systems that I need high-uptime. Set a wake time or even timer so that in the event the system is off, it will re-start at defined times.

I've used Dell Power Managed UPS units as well as APC 1300's and didn't have much success with the power on following failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.