Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorax3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Anyone know how to remove the Siri dictation button on the keyboard? I always hit it by accident and don't see a way to disable it or turn off the "bing" noise.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Put this key in the com.apple.keyboard.plist in the /User/Library/Preferences folder and reboot: DictationOnSpaceKey false

Sheff1889

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010
Put this key in the com.apple.keyboard.plist in the /User/Library/Preferences folder and reboot: DictationOnSpaceKey false

Hiya,

I've tried to do this and not got it right.

Could you show me exactly what to type and where, or upload your plist file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

LewisClegg

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
Non-jailbroken alternative

Is there any way to do this on a non-jailbroken iPhone?

I'm assuming that editing that .plist needs a jailbroken phone as I cannot find it within iTunes or anything.

I want to disable the keyboard dictation button but not Siri entirely.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Is there any way to do this on a non-jailbroken iPhone?

I'm assuming that editing that .plist needs a jailbroken phone as I cannot find it within iTunes or anything.

I want to disable the keyboard dictation button but not Siri entirely.

You might be able to use iFunBox to access that directory and edit the file. Reboot after editing and it should take.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
For those of you still wanting to disable iOS' Dictation, I've finally found out how. You need to edit the file at /Users/Library/ConfigurationProfiles/UserSettings.plist. Go to the restrictedBoot>allowDictation> key and change the value to false/off/0. Save the changes and reboot your device. The dictation button will be gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.