Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It's a $6-7 billion business. Why kill it?

oh I think it would be stupid to kill it but then again you have people here who argue that killing Mac Pro is a good idea because it is not as big of a profit as other stuff.

X server killing got that argument yet they turn a profit.

I would honestly expect the same arguments from the Apple worshipers defending Apple in doing so.

The way Apple is going and the lack of attentions they are giving OSX, and high end mac makes me think they should spin off that part of the company. I am also hoping that under the new leadership (aka not jobs) Apple is willing to focus on more things and improve OSX and macs like it should be. They are large enough and have the money to do it so it not like they should just focus on iOS and iToys like they have been.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Let me know how it is when people are selling it like crazy tomorrow

There will be an equal number of people buying as their are selling. Are you not aware that this is a market? In order to sell, someone must buy.

So you are actually claiming that after Apple goes up $40 tonight, that you'll somehow be correct (that it always goes down after earnings) if it gives back $10 of that tomorrow? You truly have no idea what you're talking about do you?

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
You think being wrong should be against the law?

Gee, I hope Apple keeps performing and making you correct in your bullishness, or you'll have a paradox on your hands.

What a silly “argument”. I never stated a position bullish or otherwise, nor am I employed to hand out theoretically sound economic advice. Perhaps these analysts are better with corporations less clandestine than Apple, but having watched them fumble in the dark for nearly three decades with regards to APPL it seems throwing a dart is about as effective as listening to one of them.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
As much as I admire Apple, this will never be enough for them creeps on Wall Street.
IT IS NEVER ENOUGH!
The problem is that Wall Street always wants you to make more money, even if you have to break the company up and change the CEO 15 times in a month. Apple is building all these stupid a** brick and mortar stores just to pump out more crap to people so they can keep hat stock price up. They will soon implode. I hate to say it but it is true.
Enjoy the renaissance while it lasts.

Did you seriously just criticize Apple for building stores in order to sell more stuff? Yeah, what a terrible business move that was. It was way better when everything Apple was underground and you couldn't find anywhere to buy their stuff. :rolleyes:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I figured that growth was strongest in [emerging] non-US markets.

Yep..the growth potential is absolutely staggering when you think about it.

It's absolutely scary where Apple is going in terms of domination.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
No kidding you are so right! I bought a bunch though a couple months ago, knowing this would be HUGE, and it was. Either way I'm way ahead now. Just need to sell it before the inevitable dip.

Timing the market is a fool's errand. My strategy of keeping a steady hand on the rudder despite the rough waters has done me well with AAPL since 2001. The company's best days are ahead of it.

Those Chinese workers sure come in handy.

Microsoft, Dell, Sony, HP and pretty much every other electronics company on the planet - not to mention almost every company that sells manufactured goods - agree.

Funny how only Apple gets the negative press for doing its manufacturing in China when everyone else does it too.

"Boo hoo, Apple products are overpriced." "Boo hoo, Apple should manufacture its stuff in America." Smell the hypocrisy.

MSFT has +30. Just saying.

Microsoft prints its products on 10-cent DVDs and sells them for hundreds. Yet it's Apple products that are "overpriced" (per the usual suspects). Go figure.

This must be your first Apple call.

Apple stock goes up the vast majority of the time. Myopic investors just remember the times they feel wronged much more strongly than they remember the times it went up. Over the past 4 years it has gone up after earnings 70% of the time. Do your homework.

AAPL holder since 2001 here. Apple rarely seems to make - and hold - a decent gain despite great news. It rarely goes up immediately in a proportionate way to its earnings. Bad news: AAPL plunges. Good news: AAPL drops. Great news: AAPL takes a short hop upward, then drops, then slowly increases over time.

Hopefully this time will be an exception to that general rule. The stock has been suppressed too long.

AAPL over $465 in after hours trading. :eek::eek::eek: :)

Watch it open at $440 tomorrow and slowly drop into the $430-range. :(

(Again, hope I'm wrong, but I've tempered my expectations with experience.)

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
There will be an equal number of people buying as their are selling. Are you not aware that this is a market? In order to sell, someone must buy.

So you are actually claiming that after Apple goes up $40 tonight, that you'll somehow be correct (that it always goes down after earnings) if it gives back $10 of that tomorrow? You truly have no idea what you're talking about do you?

Read LagunaSol's post.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
What a silly “argument”. I never stated a position bullish or otherwise, nor am I employed to hand out theoretically sound economic advice. Perhaps these analysts are better with corporations less clandestine than Apple, but having watched them fumble in the dark for nearly three decades with regards to APPL it seems throwing a dart is about as effective as listening to one of them.

You're right about the last part, but that doesn't make it criminal. They offer advice to people who are willing to buy it. There's nothing forcing anyone to pay for that advice though.

Oh and you might want to tone down your claim about 3 decades, unless you can find me a group of analysts who were wildly bullish on Apple for the whole decade when it was crashing. Something tells me you're only upset with the ones who are not bullish enough for your favorite company, not the ones who were too bullish as it almost failed.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
With all due respect they just announced a 44% margin. Most companies would kill for that kind of profit margin. If Apple decided to lower that margin a bit they could very well sell a Mac Pro equilevent desktop for $1799.

Show me one company that’s willing to lower its profit margin when their products are so in popular production can’t keep up with demand. Apple isn’t going to make a $500 Mac anymore than Porsche is going to make a $10,000 econobox.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
very impressive. anyone know how much apple puts towards r&d?

Yes.

Unfortunately, stupidity is not a crime.

I find this quite sad. I have been and always shall be an Apple fan. That said, I guess Dell was correct, they should have sold off their assets and given the money back to the investors.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Part of being a well run company is not investing resources in things that don't sell.
Dell, HP, and others make a zillion different models and would kill for Apple's nubmers.
There will be a new Mac Pro soon. Anyone paying attention would know they have been waiting for the new Xeon.

oh I think it would be stupid to kill it but then again you have people here who argue that killing Mac Pro is a good idea because it is not as big of a profit as other stuff.

X server killing got that argument yet they turn a profit.

I would honestly expect the same arguments from the Apple worshipers defending Apple in doing so.

The way Apple is going and the lack of attentions they are giving OSX, and high end mac makes me think they should spin off that part of the company. I am also hoping that under the new leadership (aka not jobs) Apple is willing to focus on more things and improve OSX and macs like it should be. They are large enough and have the money to do it so it not like they should just focus on iOS and iToys like they have been.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Impressive numbers!

Apple is definitely on a roll!

I have to say this also, 44.7% gross margins!!?:eek:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
In 2009, Apple sold more iPhones than it did in 2007 and 2008 combined. In 2010, Apple sold more iPhones than it did in 2007, 2008, and 2009 combined. Last year, Apple sold 93.1 million iPhones, slightly more than it did in in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 combined.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Right. Its just plain silly for people to act like Apple is a charity. Also if you look at competitors products of the same quality level they are often more than Apple. Certainly true of HP business laptops like the W series. The Android kids have not been able to make a successful tablet as cheap as the iPad and still make money. Many Android phones sell for more than iPhones.
Many industries have much more than a 40 some percent profit margin.

Show me one company that’s willing to lower its profit margin when their products are so in popular production can’t keep up with demand. Apple isn’t going to make a $500 Mac anymore than Porsche is going to make a $10,000 econobox.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
In 2009, Apple sold more iPhones than it did in 2007 and 2008 combined. In 2010, Apple sold more iPhones than it did in 2007, 2008, and 2009 combined. Last year, Apple sold 93.1 million iPhones, slightly more than it did in in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 combined.

Unfortunately, that can't happen forever! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.