Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:15 PM   #101
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Apple is doomed, the iPhone 4S has too small of a screen...
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:15 PM   #102
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Yup, Apple is tanking.

Any minute, now.

Wait for it.

Or not....
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:16 PM   #103
Dan Forsley
macrumors newbie

There seems to be absolutely zero data from any source whatsoever that could give even a smidgen of credence to a "burst bubble" for AAPL.

Hence.....put every last dime of your net worth into this stock. "I can see no downside".

And we have not even come anywhere near the release of the iPhone 5.

That release will make all other Apple products as old as the original iMac. Trust a stranger on that.

So......would you gamble your entire net worth on this one single company? As if this were The Unsinkable Titanic?

And if not......what are you worried about?

Personally, I am concerned that there might be a seventeen year old kid somewhere out there in (maybe) North Dakota spending way too much time in his garage with an old photo of Steve Jobs tacked onto the wall.

......and with a teenage (defiant) chip on his shoulder.

Dan
Dan Forsley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:17 PM   #104
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by voonyx View Post
Since apple has reached quite the balance between supply and demand, they should now lower their prices, right?
If you read the article you would know they haven't. Plus why you would expect this is beyond me.

----------

Ive been hearing that since the late 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Yup, Apple is tanking.

Any minute, now.

Wait for it.

Or not....
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:17 PM   #105
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
In 2009, Apple sold more iPhones than it did in 2007 and 2008 combined. In 2010, Apple sold more iPhones than it did in 2007, 2008, and 2009 combined. Last year, Apple sold 93.1 million iPhones, slightly more than it did in in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 combined.

It tells you that the smartphone market is growing at an insane rate big time when you look at the market share and Apple share has not grown as fast to match. They really been sitting around the same point for a while. Those number increases are going to stop at some point but that is because the size of the smartphone market would of stop growing because there is going to be a lack of new customers.

The cell phone market at one point had the insane growth but now look at it. It is not growing much faster than population.
Rodimus Prime is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:17 PM   #106
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

Wow, very impressive! I knew that iPhone sales were a huge part of AAPL's earnings but I had no idea it was over 50%!!
george-brooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:18 PM   #107
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

That is only party true and for the US only. The international market is in its infancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
It tells you that the smartphone market is growing at an insane rate big time when you look at the market share and Apple share has not grown as fast to match. They really been sitting around the same point for a while. Those number increases are going to stop at some point but that is because the size of the smartphone market would of stop growing because there is going to be a lack of new customers.

The cell phone market at one point had the insane growth but now look at it. It is not growing much faster than population.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:18 PM   #108
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
$97.6 billion in cash. I hope it doesn't "burn a hole in their pocket" and they can start making more smart investments.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:18 PM   #109
Oletros
macrumors 603

Impressive numbers, astonished that in Europe are sold almost the same number of Macs than in Americas
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:18 PM   #110
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
With all due respect they just announced a 44% margin. Most companies would kill for that kind of profit margin. If Apple decided to lower that margin a bit they could very well sell a Mac Pro equilevent desktop for $1799.
With all due respect, you do know how profit margin is calculated, right? It does not take into account research, engineering, or manufacturing setup. All of these are areas that Apple spends an insane amount of money on and is what makes Apple's products "better". It also does not take into account advertising, or retail costs. Apple doesn't buy better NAND memory than the competition, they research how best to fit it all together. And deciding how best to fit it all together does not show up in profit margin. They use profit to pay for those things. The more profit, the better the product can be, and the better future products can be.

So while I do not doubt that Apple's personal take home is better than a lot of companies (just look at what they have in the bank!) you also can't look at profit margin on a device that has a ton of engineering and research behind it to figure out how much money is left over.

As an extreme example, the "Profit Margin" on a 150 million dollar F-22 is huge, because the raw material and cost to build does not stack up to the price tag. However the "program" (i.e. cost to research and get to the point where they CAN build them) is currently sitting at 66.7 billion.

We never find out what the iPhone or iPad "programs" cost, and how much Apple sunk into those devices before they were even for sale, but they never would have been able to sink the money they did into them if they had a profit margin on the Apple computers similar to that of Dells.

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:18 PM   #111
RalfTheDog
macrumors 65816

If only my Apple stock could grow as fast as this thread. I hope MR is getting some good add money today.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:19 PM   #112
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post

Yes, Rodimus. In your world, Apple can only do bad and all the good things are due to market forces.
rdowns is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:21 PM   #113
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
Wow, very impressive! I knew that iPhone sales were a huge part of AAPL's earnings but I had no idea it was over 50%!!
That's both impressive and worrisome at the same time. As an investor (and AAPL shareholder), I'm concerned whenever any company's earnings are so heavily dependent on a single product. Esp when you have lots of other companies out there gunning for it. I love Apple as a user, but if you invest, you have to be on the look out for potential pitfalls. This is a big one. I would be much happier if the majority of their earnings came from app and software sales.
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:21 PM   #114
dgree03
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Yup, Apple is tanking.

Any minute, now.

Wait for it.

Or not....
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
Apple is doomed, the iPhone 4S has too small of a screen...
I like when reports like this come out and then all of a sudden, people bash other people for wanting apple to push the limits instead of going with the status quo!

Is there something wrong with wanting a better phone? Tablet? Laptop?

Look, apple is doing wonderfully with no signs of slowing down, but to me its just sailing along without any need for real innovation anymore. Hell I dont even want innovation, at least keep up with android manufactures as far as feature set goes! Thats all I want

I pay $199 for and iPhone 4s or $199 for a Galaxy nexus.... so why can't they also be some what equal in feature set of the OS and Hardware?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:22 PM   #115
samcraig
macrumors G5

Wow - over 95 billion in cash.

Do you guys have any idea how many lawsuits they can finance, companies they can buy/put out of business, etc
samcraig is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:22 PM   #116
LagunaSol
Banned

Apple is on fire! This news deserves a celebration dance!!!

LagunaSol is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:22 PM   #117
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Very good job Apple. Congratulations.
"The Assimilation Continues".
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:24 PM   #118
RalfTheDog
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgree03 View Post
I like when reports like this come out and then all of a sudden, people bash other people for wanting apple to push the limits instead of going with the status quo!

Look, apple is doing wonderfully with no signs of slowing down, but to me its just sailing along without any need for real innovation anymore. Hell I dont even want innovation, at least keep up with android manufactures as far as feature set goes! Thats all I want

I pay $199 for and iPhone 4s or $199 for a Galaxy nexus.... so why can't they also be some what equal in feature set of the OS and Hardware?
I don't care for innovation for no other reason than innovation. Stuffing more features into a device does not make it a better device. Apple builds well balanced devices that will blow the doors off of the feature stuffers.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:24 PM   #119
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
And haters gonna hate
Oletros is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:25 PM   #120
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgree03 View Post

I don't want a 4.5" screen on my phone. To me Apple does a better job with feature people want.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:26 PM   #121
HiRez
macrumors 601

Added another $16B in cash and marketable securities. In one quarter. Wow. I remember when a $50M quarter was a big victory for Apple, this is just getting obscene now. They now have close to $100B in money they could play with, if they wanted to. That's just crazy.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:26 PM   #122
RalfTheDog
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Wow - over 95 billion in cash.

Do you guys have any idea how many lawsuits they can finance, companies they can buy/put out of business, etc
Lawsuits don't put competitors out of business. Lawsuits are for keeping the vultures from freeloading on your work. Better quality and design are what you use to destroy the competition.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:26 PM   #123
daxomni
macrumors 6502

Wow!

This should be great news for those who want Apple to raise wages and/or lower prices.

Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:27 PM   #124
cameronjpu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Watch it open at $440 tomorrow and slowly drop into the $430-range.

(Again, hope I'm wrong, but I've tempered my expectations with experience.)
Sheesh! That's GOOD stock movement, not bad! It closed today at $420. If it closes tomorrow at $435 that's a great move considering nothing surprising happened during earnings today! The steady march upward continues!
cameronjpu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:27 PM   #125
Taz Mangus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Wow, I was only expecting a $30 gap up. It's at nearly $40 right now!
Holly Cow! Looks like tomorrow morning is going to be a good day for Apple. I suspect there will be profit taking sell offs tomorrow.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion