Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I think that, with a gross margin of 44.7 percent, it wouldn't hurt if Apple paid some taxes.

According to Steve Jobs's presentation of the new Apple campus, Apple is happy to keep their business in California and benefit the state by being the largest tax payer there. Moreover, in the biography SJ was describing how difficult to bring job more production jobs in the US now that Asia has the expertise and the factories.

Yes, I too read the NYT article. And you believe Apple?

And even if Apple is correct, sometimes it's a chicken or the egg scenario. If corporations start bringing back manufacturing jobs - and there are insufficient engineers - that is the catalyst to get more such engineers trained.

Your comment is in the category of "we cannot do it".

We're looking for the 1% in society who see an impossible situation, and can see a solution that others can't. All I'm saying is, people say Tim Cook is a genius at supply and manufacturing, so I'm urging Tim Cook to use his genius to find a way where others can't,

Ryth's comment is merely the 99% sheep-herd mentality that says it can't be done.

I'm looking for the 1% genius who finds a way where no one else can.

Read SJ biography.

tom53092

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
If Tim Cook is such a genius at creative manufacturing, he ought to find a way - when others say it is impossible - to bring back manufacturing to the United States.

Maybe this is a way to let companies like Apple repatriate some of it's money back to the USA (over $60 billion of Apple's money is outside the US).

Say that any money Apple brings back to the US AND is used for job/factory creation gets a huge tax break, or no taxes. Win-win.

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
I think that, with a gross margin of 44.7 percent, it wouldn't hurt if Apple paid some taxes.

Apple doesn't have any obligation to bring jobs to the US. In fact, by not doing so, they end up being more profitable and paying for in taxes - like the $10B they paid last year.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
If America were to successfully start bringing jobs back to the United States, I am sure China would treat it as an act of economic warfare and respond as such.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Seems many have not read the recent NYT article titled "Why Apple says it can't build an iPhone in the US - It's not just about cheap labor — flexibility in staffing, supply chains and reconfiguring factories matter"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4609157...ess/t/why-apple-says-it-cant-build-iphone-us/

Don't think this factory is Brazil is doing much more than putting in the final touches. It sounds a lot more like PR for their politicians to claim "Hey we got Apple here, Brazil is leading the tech world" - but look closely and they're just slapping a few glass panels (made in Harrodsburg, Kentucky btw) together.

Would it be worth doing that in the US and get unions, media vultures and maybe risk more leaks?

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Liberal whining about how Apple isn't creating jobs here but instead is using slave labor in Brazil to commence on all major news sites in...3...2...1...

Just for the records, if someone is actually thinking the above to be true: no slave labor here in Brazil; or rather, no slave labor in the area the factory is in. It's stuck in the middle of the richest area in the country, they would have likely placed the factory somewhere else in Brazil if they were really aiming for raw slave work.

tetravus

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
It is the government's responsibility to look into flawed policies. Why does it cost more to build in the US? If there aren't enough middle level engineers in the country, would it make sense to temporarily change policies to make it easier for companies to hire foreign engineers while at the same time getting more students to take up engineering courses? Are utilities too expensive? Can we cut taxes for manufacturing plants? What kind of incentives can be offered? It seems nobody in Capitol Hill is trying to change the business environment. Rhetoric alone can't create jobs.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
If there aren't enough middle level engineers in the country, would it make sense to temporarily change policies to make it easier for companies to hire foreign engineers while at the same time getting more students to take up engineering courses?
The hiring of foreign is done already. However, this is a double sided sword, as them "foreigner" help to drive down salaries.
As long as kids want to become only lawyers and MBAs, you can kiss manufacturing in the USA good buy.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
It is the government's responsibility to look into flawed policies. Why does it cost more to build in the US? If there aren't enough middle level engineers in the country, would it make sense to temporarily change policies to make it easier for companies to hire foreign engineers while at the same time getting more students to take up engineering courses? Are utilities too expensive? Can we cut taxes for manufacturing plants? What kind of incentives can be offered? It seems nobody in Capitol Hill is trying to change the business environment. Rhetoric alone can't create jobs.

It is the government's responsibility to cause and expand flawed politics. It increases political employment. The Constitution and the founding documents warn us of this very problem. Suggestion: listen.

The dollar is under attack by the Fed and the Taxers and overspenders. Employment and gas prices and milk prices are the "collateral damage".

Union workers such as teachers, policemen including on campus, firemen, prison workers, and others are a far higher priority than students. Just look at lobbying in case you are confused.

Lowering tax RATES and making them the same for everyone will solve 70% of the problems.

Immigration used to not be illegal.

Rocketman

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
For the record, Apple's just-released Q1 finances show that it pays a tax rate of 25.25 percent. Just FYI.

And? you realize that its 25 percent of 43 percent profit, not just subtract 25 percent from 43. There is no justification for the amount of profit apple makes while employing slave labor. They have the funds to pay american workers. The fact that they don't is appalling. They aren't alone in this practice. But these companies are sucking the wealth from America dry to line their own pockets. Its a big problem and it needs to be dealt with, but unfortunately our regulators are having their pockets lined by these same corporations.

----------

Apple manufacturing jobs are not coming back to the United States. Companies are not allowed to pollute at will, Americans wont work long hours for a few bucks a day and live in dorms at their worksite.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/b...d-a-squeezed-middle-class.html?pagewanted=all

Then how come the auto companies who are forced to deal with far worse regulations and the UAW can still manage to manufacture here.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
And even if Apple is correct, sometimes it's a chicken or the egg scenario. If corporations start bringing back manufacturing jobs - and there are insufficient engineers - that is the catalyst to get more such engineers trained.

So Apple or Foxxcon should build the US factory. Then let it sit empty. Until more engineers are trained.

Vtwo

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
Really?

I think some of the responses to this thread points out the issue with America/Americans and their problems with unemployment today. It seems that for some people, instead of looking internally to see how America can become more competitive in the global market, they ask Apple to find a 'solution' for them which makes Apple less profitable.

It is like telling someone making $60K a year that they can probably make due with $30K so they should take a $30K salary so the company can hire someone else for $30K. There, unemployment solved. Why don't people do this?

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Here's an idea; stop blaming companies like Apple. How about getting more young people into engineering courses at college and then having those graduates create wealth by manufacturing in the US. You can't all piggy back off one companies success. All of your proposals will cut Apples profits, cause AAPL to tank, and increase the cost of their products. It's ridiculous.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Then how come the auto companies who are forced to deal with far worse regulations and the UAW can still manage to manufacture here.

Good point. But didn't the biggest of thes slow moving companies go bankrupt just a couple years ago and need the tax payers to bail them out so they could stay in business (mostly) here? What happened to all the folks with their retirement savings invested in this company back then? And guess where they are buying a lot of their auto parts and subassemblies now?

Apple had a near death experience of it's own a few years back, but they got out if that hole and likely don't want to risk digging another one, and throwing the retirements savings of millions of people down it.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Yes, I too read the NYT article. And you believe Apple?

Your comment is in the category of "we cannot do it".

We're looking for the 1% in society who see an impossible situation, and can see a solution that others can't. All I'm saying is, people say Tim Cook is a genius at supply and manufacturing, so I'm urging Tim Cook to use his genius to find a way where others can't,

Ryth's comment is merely the 99% sheep-herd mentality that says it can't be done.

I'm looking for the 1% genius who finds a way where no one else can.

Yes, let's see how Americans like living in company dorms, being woken up at midnight with a cup of tea and a biscuit and being sent to retool an entire assembly line for days on end.

I suppose you want to go pick lettuce, too.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
I think some of the responses to this thread points out the issue with America/Americans and their problems with unemployment today. It seems that for some people, instead of looking internally to see how America can become more competitive in the global market, they ask Apple to find a 'solution' for them which makes Apple less profitable.

It is like telling someone making $60K a year that they can probably make due with $30K so they should take a $30K salary so the company can hire someone else for $30K. There, unemployment solved. Why don't people do this?

People seem to think that businesses ought to be charities. According to them, there should come a point where a company says, "You know, we're making too much money so we're going to cut our prices."

The point of a business is to make as much money as is ETHICALLY possible.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There is no justification for the amount of profit apple makes while employing slave labor.
There's plenty if justification. The experimental evidence is that countries that tried to do otherwise and put workers parties in charge of sharing corporate profits "fairly" ended up with shorter male life expectancies. Why do you want men to die sooner?

And the so-called slave labor employed to make the products travel miles and stands in line to apply for those jobs, and are so glad for those jobs that their suicide rate is lower than the rest of the country. Maybe you want their suicide rate to go back up to the national norm?
They have the funds to pay american workers.
And they did. All the workers who invested some of their 401k retirement saving in AAPL got a nice boost in net worth this week.

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe Obama could learn from Brazil?

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Facts:

-Apple will sell iPad 2 and iPad 3 worldwide.
-Had Apple products been assembled in USA, the price would be higher, not cheaper, so relax about it, OK?
-Great news for brasilians and for Apple, nothing changes for americans tough. Still, this is news, as its the 1st Apple manufacturing plant outside China.

cito71

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait!

Are you saying that lower taxes = Jobs and stimulus?!!!!!!:eek:

How could that be?

The Brazilians must be making HUGE mistake by this? Imagine ALL THE LOST REVENUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
The price of electronic goods in Brazil is almost scandalous. Every time I go there i have to bring all sorts of devices for friends and family in laws. Most people I know there have money to buy goods but not at the price currently set there. They can afford it if its the same price it is in my country.

Alright Brazillian government, next up, video games

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.