Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sessamoid

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
I agree. It's not that impressive a discount. I haven't worked in retail in 20 years (thankfully) but when I worked for The Gap in its prime we got 30% off everything including gift certificates and 50% off several items each month.

Of course, Gap had the advantage of most of their items being made overseas by people making slave wages.

Oh wait...

No, the Gap had the advantage of having almost zero material cost as well.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Likely this has to do with Apple's cost of the item, $99 mac mini does not recover any of the costs associated with the item, where a $699 macbook pro will recover some of the costs. I would also suspect Apple would rather have laptops out in the open than Mac Mini's at home. The $99 Mini is also a huge temptation for buy resell. At lease with the macbook you have a lot more of your own personal money into the product that makes you think about the purchase etc.

So the staff still gets the 25% discount yearly right?

Oops, you are mixing up your products ;) $99 is for an Apple TV, not a Mac Mini. A Mac Mini is $699+, depending on the model. Macbook Pro's start at $1199.

tehBrad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Oops, you are mixing up your products ;) $99 is for an Apple TV, not a Mac Mini. A Mac Mini is $699+, depending on the model. Macbook Pro's start at $1199.

He was talking about prices after discounts (599-500= $99 mac mini)

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010

Well maybe, just maybe, he was talking about prices after $500 discount? What do you think? Could this be the case?

And btw. Mac Mini starts at $599;)

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Well maybe, just maybe, he was talking about prices after $500 discount? What do you think? Could this be the case?

And btw. Mac Mini starts at $599;)

Well, yeah, but wasn't the initial claim that the Mini should be open to a $250 or even $200 rebate?
Makes sense to me since it costs more than an iPad.

alephnull12

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2012
Discounted macs?

*sigh*

Bad business idea. Sounds like a return to the bad old days of Apple in the 90's where there were a million different pricing points and special ways to get discounts (educational, business, yada yada yada).

Steve Jobs was right. Have a simple, single price point so that all customers are feeling like they have a similar consistent, and slick appearance.

Providing deep discounted products, even when provided to employees, only degrades the perception among consumers about the value of the product, which is one reason that Apple is capable of maintaining its high margins. Why should I pay full price for an item that is worth only half as much to the people selling it to me? That will be the perception.

For example: "Hey, my nephew worked for apple for one month and bought his iPad 3 for $250. Why the heck should I pay $600 to get one?" Good question.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Nice. That is very generous of Apple. I can imagine how good it is to work for Apple. :)

When I used to work at IBM, we used to get 23% off an unlimited amount of Desktop PC's, screens & ThinkPad's. There was even an online employee shop full of special configurations with a heavy discount.

This new offer by Apple seems incredibly tight in comparison.

hgm

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Big deal

According to 9to5Mac, during today's town hall meeting, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced to employees that they would get $500 off Macs and $250 iPads.
[…]

Oh how generous. Such a big deal. Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes, and Porsche pay each of their employers an annual bonus of several thousand Euros, depending on revenue.

Shame on Apple.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Discounted macs?

*sigh*

Bad business idea. Sounds like a return to the bad old days of Apple in the 90's where there were a million different pricing points and special ways to get discounts (educational, business, yada yada yada).

Steve Jobs was right. Have a simple, single price point so that all customers are feeling like they have a similar consistent, and slick appearance.

Providing deep discounted products, even when provided to employees, only degrades the perception among consumers about the value of the product, which is one reason that Apple is capable of maintaining its high margins. Why should I pay full price for an item that is worth only half as much to the people selling it to me? That will be the perception.

For example: "Hey, my nephew worked for apple for one month and bought his iPad 3 for $250. Why the heck should I pay $600 to get one?" Good question.

Are you serious?

I don't think anyone in their right mind would begrudge paying for a product a member of staff is getting at a discount. :confused:

----------

Oh how generous. Such a big deal. Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes, and Porsche pay each of their employers an annual bonus of several thousand Euros, depending on revenue.

Shame on Apple.

My goodness. MacRumour members are on top form today :rolleyes:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
When I used to work at IBM, we used to get 23% off an unlimited amount of Desktop PC's, screens & ThinkPad's. There was even an online employee shop full of special configurations with a heavy discount.

Not too long ago, a Microsoft employee was sent to jail, because he used his rebate on Microsoft software licenses to run a million dollar business in expensive server software licenses. (The rebate was only for personal use, but nobody checked for a while. I guess his colleagues where wondering why the sales person with the lowest sales numbers could afford the most expensive car :D )

On the other hand, many businesses sell or make things that are of no use to their employees. On the third hand, I heard of companies selling prefabricated buildings, where every year groups of employees take their holiday together and build a new home for one of them, with only the cost of the ground and the materials to be paid.

This new offer by Apple seems incredibly tight in comparison.

If you could buy a new PC ever month with 23% rebate, with no questions asked, that means the company actually expects you to be a sales person with a 23% commission, and they expect that they wouldn't have made the sale if you hadn't sold the computer. With PCs, it is all about price, so they increase the number of sales that way. The same thing at Apple, number of sales won't increase by much.

Daft question. Because it is an employee benefit, and you are not an employee. Apple also gave a lot of cash to the nephew, and not to you. Because he is an employee, and you're not.

Last edited:

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003

Shame on Apple.

You should try to rescue the exploited workers. I suggest carrying them out on your shoulder one-by-one, and bring the media.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
This isn't so much a generous benefit - more like a sensible business practice.

Of all Apple's Western employees, their retail staff are probably the lowest paid. How can these people do their jobs and help customers out if they don't have experience of using a Mac or iDevice at home? Apple should just give them one to use.

Is there anyone here in Apple retail? Do Apple only hire people who already use their products?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wouldn't work in retail for a $500 voucher. But it's a good incentive for those already in there, I think.

CountBoni

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
London, UK
On the retail side, working for Apple sucks. You get crapped on a lot by customers and the innovation isn't there like it is at corporate. It's really no different than any other retail gig.

Side note, this discount is an *additional* $500 off every three years. They still get the 25% off once a year.

I worked for Apple Retail and it was a great experience, obviously it depends on what your professional goals are, for me it was a cool experience while I got another job in my field and I still hang out with the iMates and some of the managers. We used to have a lot of fun on the floor and even though sometimes we got crappy customers, most of them were really friendly and some of them went back often just to say hi. The meetings were hilarious and the parties awesome. I have really good memories working for :apple: :)

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
This isn't so much a generous benefit - more like a sensible business practice.

Of all Apple's Western employees, their retail staff are probably the lowest paid. How can these people do their jobs and help customers out if they don't have experience of using a Mac or iDevice at home? Apple should just give them one to use.

Is there anyone here in Apple retail? Do Apple only hire people who already use their products?

When I was at the genius bar in Covent Garden, London recently there were two geniuses showing their Samsung Galaxy S2 wallpapers to each other. When I asked jokingly if that was even allowed one of them said it was because they wanted iPhone 4Ss but couldn't afford them.

Now they can (or maybe they actually preferred their S2s and were spinning me a line)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Time for me to send in an application to work for Apple. Hell, I'll take a janitorial job to get $500 off a new Mac.

So you'd take a pay drop of a couple of thousand dollars for what amounts to basically 250$ added revenue per year ?

Or maybe your current job doesn't pay more than a janitor job ?

Frankly, this is a nice gesture for employees, but hardly a reason to quit your day job and take a salary cut over. Apply to work for Apple because the position, advantages and salary are what you want, not because you get a discount on a Mac.

With my current job, I can easily afford that 500$ and I doubt Apple has any positions in Quebec that can live-up to my job (and I can't move to the US to fill positions that would).

fozzy.bear

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Rochester ny
Retail is Retail

Apple retail only differs from any other retailer due to the efforts to create a "culture" there, but under the covers...it's still retail. Vis-a-vis Apple Inc. it's a whole separate beast -- viz the exclusion of Apple retail employees from the "company-wide" meeting. 25% off computers and iPads (withheld for months after the release) have encouraged employees to drink the KoolAid. Apple Retail is NOT the same as working for Apple, Inc. don't let anyone try to tell you differently.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Once every 3 years? That seems a step backwards.

I hope they can still provide F&F discounts. I've received discounts on high end BTO that's more than $500.

Why? This is a bonus on top of the existing 25% emp. discount. This is an improved emp. perk, not a diminished one.

And once every 3 years seems reasonable -- it keeps the benefit for the employee and also prevents employees from buying a lot of computers just to flip them.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Apple retail only differs from any other retailer due to the efforts to create a "culture" there, but under the covers...it's still retail. Vis-a-vis Apple Inc. it's a whole separate beast -- viz the exclusion of Apple retail employees from the "company-wide" meeting. 25% off computers and iPads (withheld for months after the release) have encouraged employees to drink the KoolAid. Apple Retail is NOT the same as working for Apple, Inc. don't let anyone try to tell you differently.

It would be nice to work for a company you actually respect and believe in though. Wouldn't it?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It would be nice to work for a company you actually respect and believe in though. Wouldn't it?

I already do and it's not Apple. Not everyone only respects and believes in Apple you know...

In fact, with Apple's current behavior in courts around the world and with their walled iOS garden, I'd have some moral problems working for them.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I already do and it's not Apple. Not everyone only respects and believes in Apple you know...

In fact, with Apple's current behavior in courts around the world and with their walled iOS garden, I'd have some moral problems working for them.

Well I have respect they are doing everything they can to protect themselves. I know others don't have this view but its ok. :)

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

Shame on Apple.

You really think their employees don't get cash bonus, this just a cherry on top of that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.