Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjaminaho

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
United States
I am trying to connect my MacBook Pro:apple: to my Sony Bravia, however, there is a big problem. I bought a bunch of cords to hook it up, and they are not working. My theory is that the cords are not compatible or something. This is exactly what is is:

MacBook Pro:apple: 13" 2.4 Ghz- Apple:apple: Mini Displayport Male to HDMI Female - Amazon HDMI Male to DVI Male cord - DVI Female to VGA Male - Sony Bravia KDL-32L4000

Help!:eek:

Nov 28, 2010
located
That's a lot of cables and interfaces, and you go from digital (MDP, HDMI, DVI) to analog (VGA) and the sound is lost too (if you have a 2010 MBP, the sound gets carried via an appropriate MDP to HDMI adapter, but DVI and VGA do not carry sound).
That TV most likely has a HDMI input, why don't you use that?

How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

Sony Bravia inputs (HDMI on left) (specifications: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-l-series/kdl-32l4000/tab/technicalspecs)
inputs1lv6.jpg

benjaminaho

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
United States
Well I'm using an audio cord for the audio, so thats fine. And I looked on the link you gave me, and MUST I have the same exact connection as it says?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Well I'm using an audio cord for the audio, so thats fine. And I looked on the link you gave me, and MUST I have the same exact connection as it says?

You don't have to (MUSTN'T), but those are the working connections and have been proven to work time and again.

Anyway, why do you use such a complicated system (MDP >>> HDMI >>> DVI >>> VGA), which is prone to have an error or two due to the conversion from digital to analog (DVI >>> VGA), which might not work with that cable you have and the signal you use. Your TV has an HDMI inout and it would be wise and less error prone to use that instead, as there are less interface conversions and adapters involved than your setup. An HDMI cable should have been included in your TV or is cheap to get

benjaminaho

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
United States
I understand, but first of all, I already bought the cords.
Second of all, My MacBook Pro has detected the Bravia, the Bravia just isn't showing anything.
I just need to make the Bravia mirror the computer.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I understand, but first of all, I already bought the cords.
Second of all, My MacBook Pro has detected the Bravia, the Bravia just isn't showing anything.
I just need to make the Bravia mirror the computer.

No signal on the Bravia? Have you consulted the manual on how to switch to the VGA input channel?

Btw, the MBP detects that an external display is connected, due to the adapter being plugged in, but the plethora of cables (again, it goes from DIGITAL to ANALOG) most likely result in the error you currently encounter.
I still think, that the error lies in the DVI to VGA connection and that there is no proper conversion of digital to analog.
Can you test the cables with another device or three? I mean every single one of them and the DVI to VGA connection, without the HDMI or MDP thing connected.

Good luck anyways.

benjaminaho

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
United States
I have looked at the manual, I even altered the dimensions of the screen (16:9 etc.) to fit what the manual said and still the Bravia displays nothing. It even sais in the corner "No PC IN signal."

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have looked at the manual, I even altered the dimensions of the screen (16:9 etc.) to fit what the manual said and still the Bravia displays nothing. It even sais in the corner "No PC IN signal."

Then no signal is coming through the MDP >>> HDMI >>> DVI >>> VGA connection.
An MDP >>> HDMI connection is more likely to work though.

Btw, why did you choose to go the that route (MDP >>> HDMI >>> DVI >>>> VGA) anyway?

benjaminaho

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
United States
I chose these cords because they were the cheapest.
So let me get this straight, if I want to connect the two, I should get a VGA cord? There is no other way?

benjaminaho

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
United States
Just out of curiosity, why use the analog VGA input, if you have the option of using the digital HDMI input (especially when an MDP to HDMI adapter already exists) and bypass the whole DA conversion?

Because I want it to be on the "PC" setting apposed to the "HDMI 2" setting. I know, it's bit OCD…

Nov 28, 2010
located
I chose these cords because they were the cheapest.
So let me get this straight, if I want to connect the two, I should get a VGA cord? There is no other way?

Because I want it to be on the "PC" setting apposed to the "HDMI 2" setting. I know, it's bit OCD…

If you want the "PC" setting, you need the MDP to VGA adapter McGiord linked to:

Just out of curiosity, why are OCD about this, f the "PC" is only shown a second or two upon switching? You sacrifice some image quality, especially if you watch HD content, though it might not be noticeable.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
My bet is that the analog signal is discarded somewhere along the line. You likely need straight MDP to VGA if you must use the VGA input on your TV. If you don't absolutely need VGA, a < $10 MDP to HDMI cable would be the easiest solution.

benjaminaho

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
United States
Well, I guess I don't need to have it on PC.
Ok then. I will probably use my MDP TO HDMI adapter and a spare HDMI cord.
Anyway, thank you all for your help!
And happy Hanukah, merry Christmas, happy Kwanzaa, and a happy new year!

paulpc

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
paulpc

Everyone seems to have a problem with the HDMI to MDP on Macbook where there is no sound coming from the TV but a good picture, if you plug the lead into your computer Mini display port and the other end into the HDMI connection in the TV and still no sound go into settings in the main screen and select sound then in the next screen you should be able to select the device you want to use......it took ages to find this solution

cptexas

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Did you find a solution?

Did you find a solution? I too am trying to get my Sony Bravia to recognize my Macbook Pro via VGA. I have no idea how to ask the Sony Bravia to switch to VGA. It only has my DVD player and my cable box as options...

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Did you find a solution? I too am trying to get my Sony Bravia to recognize my Macbook Pro via VGA. I have no idea how to ask the Sony Bravia to switch to VGA. It only has my DVD player and my cable box as options...

In the Menu of the TV, look for the video inputs and enable the input that corresponds to the VGA input, then enjoy.
Audio should be connected with a separate audio cable, from the MacBook audio out to the TV audio input next to the VGA connector, or to the Home Theater.

----------

Just out of curiosity, why use the analog VGA input, if you have the option of using the digital HDMI input (especially when an MDP to HDMI adapter already exists) and bypass the whole DA conversion?
Sorry for the late reply.

With my old TV it had only 2 HDMI inputs, and they were already used.
The other factor is that my late 2008 MBP didn't output sound through the miniDisplayPort, therefore another cable for the audio is needed, the VGA input was a good choice for having both audio and video working with the cables I had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.