Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesPAndrew32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
So there is an app in the App Store out that has hidden tethering in it. It is called iRandomizer Numbers. The link to the application is: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/irandomizer-numbers/id492253787?mt=8

How to enable tethering:
1. Open up the iRandomizer Application
2. In the minimum text box, type in: 1984
3. In the maximum text box, type in: 31337
4. Voila! Welcome to the tethering screen. From here you can establish an ad-hoc wifi connection with your iPhone and share your internet connection!
5. Enjoy

24x4ehy.png

28mohub.png

120gdgi.png

p2l8j.png

Last edited by a moderator:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Will an iPad connect to it? Figured I'd play guinea-pig. The numbers do access the hidden tethering mode, but nothing happens when I hit "Start."

Last edited:

JamesPAndrew32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Will an iPad connect to it? Figured I'd play guinea-pig. The numbers do access the hidden tethering mode, but nothing happens when I hit "Start."

I don't think it can go from iPhone to iPad. One of the devices has to be able to create an ad-hoc network.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don't think it can go from iPhone to iPad. One of the devices has to be able to create an ad-hoc network.

So how is this supposed to work? It's not as simple as just hitting "start," that's for sure. I've messed with the proxy settings to no avail, and there's nothing to modify in the app itself.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
So how is this supposed to work? It's not as simple as just hitting "start," that's for sure. I've messed with the proxy settings to no avail, and there's nothing to modify in the app itself.

Hmmm, looks like this app has been out since Jan 11th: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/tethering-without-having-to-jailbreak.662732/ ...

... but it looks like another guy on this other forum (craftaddicts) who bought it is having the same issue figuring out how to actually tether

I bought it, but how do I tether? I turned tethering on went to the "instructions", but all it is is a google search with tons of stuff that doesnt work, so how do you tether?

Also the person 'advertising' it on the other forum is a regular it seems (434 posts on that forum) so they aren't exactly simply spammers over there at least.

JamesPAndrew32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Hmmm, looks like this app has been out since Jan 11th: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/tethering-without-having-to-jailbreak.662732/ ...

... but it looks like another guy on this other forum (craftaddicts) who bought it is having the same issue figuring out how to actually tether

Also the person 'advertising' it on the other forum is a regular it seems (434 posts on that forum) so they aren't exactly simply spammers over there at least.

If you follow the instructions here: http://lifehacker.com/5086490/the-best-way-to-tether-your-iphone-to-your-laptop-for-free You can get it working

lehman310

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
I got it to work!! Here are the mac instructions. You follow the QuasiDisk instructions the exact same except for one step.

First, make an adhoc network on your Mac. Join on your iPhone and set a static IP to 13.37.13.37 Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

Now edit the settings on you mac. Just check socks proxy and add 13.37.13.37 with 20000 as the port. Apply. Data dowload or upload stats don't work but status does!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I got it to work a slightly different way.

I set the SOCKS Proxy in my Mac's settings to be the same IP as what the phone displays when you hit Star in iRandomizer. The port will change from 20000 to 30000 and back again (for no apparent reason) when you turn it off and on, but you just can change it on your Mac to match.

Anyway, it works, but all these solutions are very clunky. Fun to mess with, but definitely a bit of a nuisance to set up.

*edit*

Even then, doesn't seem to consistently work. So.. bah. :)

Last edited:

lehman310

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Go to network settings on your mac.

On the top click location and create a new one.

Click network name and select create network.

Now on you iPhone, join this network.

Click the blue arrow and go to the static tab and put 13.37.13.37 as the IP address and 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask

Turn on iRandomizer and start the tether

Now, go back to your mac and click advanced on the bottom right.

Under proxies, check SOCKS proxy and put 13.37.13.37 in proxy server and 20000 after the colon ( : )

Click OK, then Apply on the next page.

Now to go back to your standard WiFi, just switch your location to automatic and apply. In the future, to use tether, change the location and create a network and click apply.

Discostu7

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
it works

this app works, i had to play around with my network settings on my mac in order to get it running and it worked after 15 mins trial and error.

adrian876

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
This is awesome, it only took me two minutes to set up. Anyone else having trouble seeing the upload data? I can see the download but not the upload data...

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
This kind of app is way more complicated then it should be, MyWi got it right. Yes this app had to disguise it's real intent just like handylight had to back in the day.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I got this working on my Windows XP laptop.

Basically I simply followed the steps 3 through 10 listed in this article, replacing step 6 with enabling and starting tethering in this app. You also don't need step 5 as the app tells you the ip address and port. Actually step 7 wasn't needed either.

At first it didn't work, until I did step 9. The reason is that you need to forward DNS requests over SOCK.

I didn't need to set up a special ip address or anything. The default IP address that windows chose worked fine.

adrian876

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
I got this working on my Windows XP laptop.

Basically I simply followed the steps 3 through 10 listed in this article, replacing step 6 with enabling and starting tethering in this app. You also don't need step 5 as the app tells you the ip address and port. Actually step 7 wasn't needed either.

At first it didn't work, until I did step 9. The reason is that you need to forward DNS requests over SOCK.

I didn't need to set up a special ip address or anything. The default IP address that windows chose worked fine.

Nice! I got it working on my windows 7 laptop as well

RPHAG

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Setup on iPhone

Go to network settings on your mac.

On the top click location and create a new one.

Click network name and select create network.

Now on you iPhone, join this network.

Click the blue arrow and go to the static tab and put 13.37.13.37 as the IP address and 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask

Turn on iRandomizer and start the tether

Now, go back to your mac and click advanced on the bottom right.

Under proxies, check SOCKS proxy and put 13.37.13.37 in proxy server and 20000 after the colon ( : )

Click OK, then Apply on the next page.

Now to go back to your standard WiFi, just switch your location to automatic and apply. In the future, to use tether, change the location and create a network and click apply.

Do you know if the iPhone HAS to be "Jailbroken" for this to work? Or should it work on one that is not jailbroken?

ma11ory

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
Jailbroken requirement....?

RPHAG, my question exactly. My phone is not jb and I can't seem to get this to work.

My thought was that it should work on non-jb phones bc it's in the app store. Otherwise, wouldn't it be available wherever jb phone ppl buy their apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.