Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Ok, you can call BS all you want. I've done the same as you on an international broadcast level as well as film, corporate and PR experience and have the same degree. To each their own, I'm just going on the swath of editors that I know. And if you think FCP X is ready for primetime...you must be working in community cable access.

Congratulations! I hope Avid also comes with a complimentary weiner-sling which you'll need to carry around all your international broadcast and film credentials, whilst you look down at all the smaller station professionals with the rest of your "most of us" pals.

movielad

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Surrey
Well, I couldn't have predicted what was to happen to Shake back in my days of VFX engineering. At least Apple allowed it's customers to purchase the source code so that companies working with it could add features or fix bugs by themselves.

This makes me wonder - why the hell if people are bitching and moaning about the lack of features in X or Y, they don't develop an editing system themselves or at least pay somebody to do it. The practicalities of that are virtually zero (who has the time or the money) but if you need the features to fit into your workflow, that's what it's got to be - or you can try appealing to existing vendors, but that's no guarantee to get what you want.

Nothing is perfect and the only way you're going to get what you want is to DIY. This is how many VFX specific applications were developed (in house and then eventually earning a GA release).

Everybody has different requirements, nothing is fixed. But I'd hate to be somebody responsible for rolling out new products and kit each and every time somebody declares there's a feature (or features) that's missing just for the sake of upgrading.

Last edited:

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
You don't work in a post-production house or in broadcast do you? My firm is in the process of moving to Premiere. The news organization I used to work for is in the process of doing the same. Buddies who cut in LA and NYC have already jumped ship to Avid Media Composer. So when I say "most of us", I mean most of the editors I know and interact with regularly who span the industry. It's a pretty good sample.

This seems to be the trend, I have two friends in different post-houses and they're also moving to Premiere.

I do all the digital video production at a college and while we're still using FCP7, I'm taking a hard look at Premiere as well.

pxlmvr7

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2006
Bandwagon Jumping

They never screwed us over, they just nuked the fridge and forced us to look elsewhere to invest our money in equipment and future roadmaps. We can adapt, but we can't keep using your product when you cut key professional features with no CLEAR roadmap as to when or if we'll get those features back. That being said, I'll play around with this, but my industry has already moved on, so it'll only do me any good on my personal projects.

I work in post and *no one* has moved to MC or Premier. No business person would make such a knee-jerk reaction such as that! FCP 7 didn't somehow stop working when FCPX came out... smh.

Anyone who has been in the business knows that new technology takes time to sort and out and don't jump on bandwagons or off bandwagons because of a product update.

FCPX *clearly* looks like a great way forward in terms of file based media. Add to that the implementation of Thunderbolt devices and you have very powerful platform. With feedback from us pros Apple has proven time and time again that they listen to their customers.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Congratulations! I hope Avid also comes with a complimentary weiner-sling which you'll need to carry around all your international broadcast and film credentials, whilst you look down at all the smaller station professionals with the rest of your "most of us" pals.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't look down on you. I was there once, but I question your vision of the future in terms of what is best for your customers and clients if you're working with tools that have no concrete future in your industry. You have to be able to use it all, and yes, FCP X may be one of those tools...some day. But right now, in the level that me and my colleagues work at...it isn't. We still use FCP 7, but we realize that is a temporary stop-gap. Apple hasn't given us any reason to trust that FCP X will catch up to what we used in FCP 7. It took them 7 months to deliver multi-cam, a feature I cut hundreds of shows with over the years. Couldn't do it with FCP X, so I had to stay with FCP 7 and find another program that had a future that would serve my purposes.

While I applaud your dedication to the brand (I also worked for Apple, and I have no qualms about leaving FCP for another tool), you need to look to the future to make sure what you are doing now, you'll be able to do then so you can deliver the product you want.

MCP

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
To each their own, I'm just going on the swath of editors that I know. And if you think FCP X is ready for primetime...you must be working in community cable access.

+1. Everyone I know, myself included, has moved back to Avid or gone with what is already the oft installed, rarely opened app of Premiere. We have gear already invested in FCP7 and to make the most of that, we've moved on to Premiere.

Working post production professionals cutting in client driven sessions need solid tools, of which FCPX is unfortunately not. If it can't ingest or layback to ANY broadcast tape deck, why bother labeling it "pro"?!

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Yeah, I don't think so. "Most of us." Most of yourself, perhaps.

Yeah, no. I'd say most of us as well. I mean, if you needed the features it lacked an still lacks, then you've moved on or haven't moved to FCPX. So where is he supposed to get his info? Anyone that uses it day in and out obviously didn't need multi cam otherwise they wouldn't have been on x yet or have moved on.

I'm still on 7 and toying with Premiere or going back to Avid. The real wait right now is on PPRo6. If FCP can get back on parity with 7 by then (NAB) they'll stop a lot of bleeding. If 6 is a wonder to behold, watch out Avid.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My god are people that neurotic?

Apple releases new Final Cut. Has some issues.

People's reaction:
OH NO THIS BREAKS MY CURRENT SETUP I HAVE TO SWITCH :eek:

Seriously? It's a code over haul. It may have been released a bit too early, but it takes time to add those legacy features back in. And I have confidence that they will.

As for the legacy features that won't come back, get over it and adapt. Or sure, switch if you really have to. But don't be neurotic.

I work in a post production house and we're still running FCP 6 for crying out loud. And we've never had a problem.

I believe FCP X will be the one everyone wants in the near future. I'm waiting excitedly to see where it goes. For the time being, my setup works perfectly fine.

xtraham

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
Fcp x

For the hard core, serious editors, FCP X is probably a nightmare. But for the vast majority of people shooting video, which is on iPhones, iPads and small handheld DV cams, FCP X is what the doctor ordered. It's FAST to edit with. If you doubt where Apple and the market is heading, take a look at what was being shown at MacWorld. Shooting and editing video on iPhones and iPads. For Apple, it's all about keeping pace with consumers and prosumers. The real pros have been cast aside.

Sorry, but that's where they get their bazillion dollar quarters. Not from the pro guys hoping for good editing software, and a new Mac Pro Tower refresh.

It's all about da money.

Larry Jordan wrote a blog about this issue, check it out.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I work in post and *no one* has moved to MC or Premier. No business person would make such a knee-jerk reaction such as that! FCP 7 didn't somehow stop working when FCPX came out... smh.

Anyone who has been in the business knows that new technology takes time to sort and out and don't jump on bandwagons or off bandwagons because of a product update.

FCPX *clearly* looks like a great way forward in terms of file based media. Add to that the implementation of Thunderbolt devices and you have very powerful platform. With feedback from us pros Apple has proven time and time again that they listen to their customers.

Don't get me wrong, I still use FCP7 on a day-to-day basis because it still is industry standard for a lot of firms here in DC, however, those firms are also looking at MC or Premiere in terms of capability and future support. Apple releases a "pro" product without many of the pro features we rely on with little to no guarantee those features will return...we have to start at least LOOKING at other solutions. It's simply business and investment. It's nothing personal.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
What I don't understand is why Apple didn't make it more clear they were going to add these features back. I understand their need for secrecy, but sometimes they seriously overdo it.

It's only a small subset of the missing features. Multicam for me is not a needed feature. I've used it like twice. But I understand for many it's their livelihood and it's one of the features that finally got folks to switch from Avid to FCP classic.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This is great news. I don't work in editing but have a few friends who do (some recreationally, others professionally and one who was/is involved in the Final Cut Pro X revamp as a designer who worked with Apple engineers), and most were not impressed with the result(s). My friend couldn't/can't discuss it but I had the sense from what little info I could piece together that the project managers and engineers did not work well together, and the film professionals hired as designers were frustrated that their input was regularly disregarded. I cannot generalize but it did seem a lot of professionals moved to Avid and even Premiere Pro, now that both companies have great OS X counterparts (and many stayed with FCP7).

For the hard core, serious editors, FCP X is probably a nightmare. But for the vast majority of people shooting video, which is on iPhones, iPads and small handheld DV cams, FCP X is what the doctor ordered. It's FAST to edit with. If you doubt where Apple and the market is heading, take a look at what was being shown at MacWorld. Shooting and editing video on iPhones and iPads. For Apple, it's all about keeping pace with consumers and prosumers. The real pros have been cast aside.

Sorry, but that's where they get their bazillion dollar quarters. Not from the pro guys hoping for good editing software, and a new Mac Pro Tower refresh.

It's all about da money.

Larry Jordan wrote a blog about this issue, check it out.

Good points. It is true, many consumers and recreational film makers are using smaller devices that don't require the heavy lifting necessary with FCP7.

However, as someone who worked in the communications/IT business, I had many business clients that would drop serious coin on hardware and software upgrades. Apple certainly makes most of its profit in the consumer sect, but when one business has $30-40K (and that's conservative) to update their systems, that's not chump change. I don't necessarily agree that Apple has left the professional sect due to less profitability. Before the Intel switch in 2006 and the iPhone in 2007 Apple was doing very well, and making a good amount off PowerMac's and their CCFL ACD line with studios, photographers, businesses - even XServe wasn't as atrocious as some state. Apple simply decided on focusing on consumers and placing more money into consumer product R&D. Steve Jobs stated such himself when Apple bought "Shake" and quickly discontinued it. Should Apple decide, there is money to be made again in the professional sect. It might not be in the mass quantity as the consumer sect, but the lack in quantity is remedied by the amount of dollars each business spends in investing in Apple products, especially as those investments are considered long term. :)

As an aside, why does almost every thread on MR have to become a personal p**sing contest? If you don't agree with someone, do so civilly. If you don't believe what they state, let it go. I don't understand the need to ridicule, belittle and disrespect others so quickly on the internet. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

choo24-7

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
Anyone know if the FCPX will be compatible with Final Cut Server or something similar?

We run Final Cut Pro 7 now and Final Cut Server, unfortunately both is END OF LIFE. I have a entire xsan set up, with a VTRAK raid, everything working fine but looking into the future. Seriously looking at Avid or Premiere but then want to take advantage of my current hardward as well.

Anyone have similar predicament that can share some insight?

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I worked in broadcast and produced, directed, and edited live TV. My degree is in broadcast communication. And I still call BS on your "most of us" baloney statement.

I know a good amount of people/post facilities who moved on to Avid or Adobe. Granted, most already had those Adobe/Avid suites already, so it was more of a shift rather than a move. I also know many who have just stuck around with FCP for the time being. We even bought 2 additional FCP7 seats after the release of FCPX. I haven't heard of anyone moving to FCPX however. I can easily see us shifting gears to Premiere down the road.

It wasn't a knee jerk reaction. People had been waiting on a major update of FCP for a while, especially since the previous update was so underwhelming. So I'm willing to guess that anyone who made the change was fully prepared to do so simply based on the perceived direction Apple took with FCPX.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
We're in the process of writing to Apple to obtain a refund for our purchase of FCPX. We've had projects revert back to previous versions, losing hours of editing. We've had transitions fail on export with no way of fixing them. We've had too many crashes...

We're a charity and can't afford to suck up the cost and wait for Apple to fix the issues.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I know a good amount of people/post facilities who moved on to Avid or Adobe. Granted, most already had those Adobe/Avid suites already, so it was more of a shift rather than a move. I also know many who have just stuck around with FCP for the time being. We even bought 2 additional FCP7 seats after the release of FCPX. I haven't heard of anyone moving to FCPX however. I can easily see us shifting gears to Premiere down the road.

It wasn't a knee jerk reaction. People had been waiting on a major update of FCP for a while, especially since the previous update was so underwhelming. So I'm willing to guess that anyone who made the change was fully prepared to do so simply based on the perceived direction Apple took with FCPX.

This exactly. All we wanted was a faster more efficient FCP 8.0 that could render using more than a couple cores and not crash as often. The complete interface overhaul that INCLUDED the ALREADY EXISTING features would have kept Final Cut king, but instead it's become the bastard step-child of the professional post production world. When that became clear, we started migrating to our Plan B set ups, which in some cases were the Premiere and MC seats we had planned on for some time in case FCP X didn't deliver. It's not reactionary, it's evolutionary. We have to survive, and if the industry is going to move to MC or Premiere...we have to be able to as well, so we always have that Plan B in our back pocket.

Now for all those prosumers and one-man bands, I'm sure it's great. But for those of us who work in collaborative environments, still have projects in FCP7 that won't come over to FCPX, need edit-to-tape functionality for broadcast environments as well as multi cam editing, the new Final Cut completely failed to address that (until today in some cases).

rescued64

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Nashville, TN

You are correct, it didn't quit working, but if you're in a business that is rapidly expanding and needed to add new Macs and editors, you couldn't buy another copy of FCP7 to go along with the new Mac. If your new editors edit on FCPX, the other editors wouldn't be able to view the projects on their own machines. No legacy support means LOTS of people left FCP platform.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Really? "Most of you" jumped ship within the few months? Okay then.

Plan B my friend. When Final Cut Pro's horizon looks like it does for the pro market, you have to be nimble. Again, most of us are still using FCP 7, so we didn't jump overnight. However we are in the process of migrating to Premiere or MC. New projects with low urgency and longer deadlines are being started on Premiere so it gives us time to calibrate. FCP 7 is still the NLE of choice, but support for it WILL end in the next couple years, so we need to be ready and not have any downtime.

RhymeAnimal

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Get Over It.

I work in an insanely high paced broadcast environment. We made the leap to FCPX the week it came out and have been flying high ever since.

I seriously doubt the veracity of people here who claim to be "pro" editors. We adapted our workflow to FCPX and made huge bounds in efficiency and productivity in the fist month alone. Now with multi-cam, I'm almost afraid at how cool things are going to get.

MordechaiCarver

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Denver, CO
Anyone know if the FCPX will be compatible with Final Cut Server or something similar?

We run Final Cut Pro 7 now and Final Cut Server, unfortunately both is END OF LIFE. I have a entire xsan set up, with a VTRAK raid, everything working fine but looking into the future. Seriously looking at Avid or Premiere but then want to take advantage of my current hardward as well.

Anyone have similar predicament that can share some insight?

We're switching to CATDV . It's compatible w/X and 7. Also can bring 7 projects into X via XML (majority of effects and color correction left behind though). Compatible with LION!

As for this X update, it's nice, but I really need external monitoring!

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't look down on you. I was there once, but I question your vision of the future in terms of what is best for your customers and clients if you're working with tools that have no concrete future in your industry.

Watching this back and forth, I have to say I have to question YOUR vision of the future when you jump platforms so quickly when Apple made it clear that if you were patient for a few months your concerns would be addressed. Instead, it seems like you looked at something, gave it almost no legitimate critical thought, and then ran off, thereby blindly wasting all the investment you had made in prior versions. Follow that up by asserting, starkly, that you think that you are somehow better and farther along in your industry, and you really come across as pretty rude. Get over yourself, seriously. Your little sphere constitutes about 0.000000001% of the professionals out there, and until I hear your name attached to the Pulitzer, you are not above anyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.