Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaunbent

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
If he was so great why then have the DSG group remained in the bottom of every customer satisfaction since Magic Johns turn at CEO? He changed jack ****. If he had of then maybe the DSG group would have been on a level of say John Lewis. Which just to add would spank the arse of DSG in terms of price bettering, matching and customer satisfaction etc. The point is Dixons havent changed therefore you're gonna have a hard time convincing everyone here that the sun shines outta Johns rear.

Looks like I've touched a nerve there - I am not attempt to convince anyone the sun shines out of anyones rear - I was just trying to share my view and if "he change jack ****" you are even more unqualified that I am to pass comment on his performance as a CEO.

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
The Peter Principle states that "in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence", meaning that employees tend to be promoted until they reach a position in which they cannot work competently.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
UK Perspectives

All the comments from the UK crew are great and very insightful. Thanks

***Sigh*** I hope Tim knows what he is doing. He is super smart and it's hard to believe he have made what we think (but don't know as fact) is an obvious mistake

Let me just add that I hope Browett lights it up and does a fantastic job. We've all been in positions where those around us have doubted us. Good luck John. Be bold and respect the Apple DNA

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Looks like I've touched a nerve there - I am not attempt to convince anyone the sun shines out of anyones rear - I was just trying to share my view and if "he change jack ****" you are even more unqualified that I am to pass comment on his performance as a CEO.

Haha, former employee and MacRumors Newbie, are you him, a close relative, etc.? How far removed were you from him in your position?

The proof of Tim's judgement will be 'in the pudding' and we will not know how good he is until we bite into 'the new apple' but hopefully it's just as sweet as the Mackintosh Apple's :apple: we're used to and not a Granny Smith :apple:, or worse yet not an Apple :apple: at all but a Green Persimmon :eek:, which many people seem to be associating him with so far before he has done anything.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Who in the chain tells the CEO no, we want to give customers an experience that isn't in line with your direction?

Lots of companies think that squeezing every last penny out of customers through upgrades and warranties and up-sells is more important than customer satisfaction. If the board says 'increase those metrics over all others,' what do you guess he'll do?

Remember, I'm not saying I know that. I'm just saying that it sure is possible that, yeah, he was told to do things that resulted in poor customer service AND was told that that was ok.

We know those things aren't true at Apple, so IF that was the case over there, it wouldn't translate to Apple.

I really have no idea if this guy is a good choice. But I also know that none of us can know that yet based on the information we have.

shaunbent

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Haha, former employee and MacRumors Newbie, are you him, a close relative, etc.? How far removed were you from him in your position?

The proof of Tim's judgement will be 'in the pudding' and we will not know how good he is until we bite into 'the new apple' but hopefully it's just as sweet as the Mackintosh Apple's :apple: we're used to and not a Granny Smith :apple:, or worse yet not an Apple :apple: at all but a Green Persimmon :eek:, which many people seem to be associating him with so far before he has done anything.

MacRumors Newbie because you need an account to post on here and I've never done so before.

As for how far removed I was from his position? Pretty far removed as I worked in store but I was easily able to see the changes he implemented.

Love the fact a lot of people seem to be getting upset when someone shares a different view. :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Did he only interview one person?

Dixons' stock plunged 8% yesterday on the news he was leaving. Dixons was a basket case when he arrived and he has turned it around, in the midst of the worst recession in 70 years that took out most competitors.

People are complaining that Dixons doesn't have the same level of service as a Nordstrom in the US or John Lewis in the UK. However, compare it to Radioshack or Best Buy in the US, or to competitors in Europe. Dixons has a profitable business in the Nordics and the rest of Europe, and they turned the corner in the UK. It seems like a good choice. Had Apple hired the CEO of Nordstrom or the CEO of John Lewis, I'm guessing people would be complaining that "what does a fashion retailer know about selling iPhones and iPads?"

Ron Johnson will be a tough act to follow, but I think they are off to a good start. On a related note, JC Penney took out a 2-page spread in the Wall Street Journal (and I'm assuming other major papers) with a simple message of bringing "fresh air" into the shopping process. It will be interesting to see how he does there.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Wow, bunch of super smart, super successful people here! ... Seriously people, YOU think you know better.

But this is the internet. We're all super smart in this alternative universe - that's what makes it fun!

Anyway - I have no doubt he's going to be great but if you'd ever shopped at Dixons you too would find this hilarious! Honestly it's really funny.

My best Dixons experience (and over the years I had a few) was being asked, when something wasn't in stock, why I couldn't wait a few days for them to get it in. I explained that it was for a birthday present and as the birthday was the next day I'd better try somewhere else. The girl behind the counter then announced to the rest of the queue that I was " a *********ing idiot for leaving it so late..."

A relative who works in retail always referred to Dixon's staff as SPO's (Sales Prevention Officers).

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
What a smug image of him hah, i dont know, im sure there were plenty of people in the wings that would have loved to take on Apple Retail...the experience in the stores now adays is bit off track compared to a few years ago.

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

They didn't bring Ron Johnson in to bring Target in to Apple Stores either.. Everything worked out just fine.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
As long as apple keep making good products there retail business will be fine.

Not really, the only reason I've stayed with Apple is because there customer service has been miles above others. If they turned themselves into just another computer outlet they'd sink pretty fast.

Browett makes me worried for Apple Retail. His list of past employers don't speak well for him. I just hope he isn't built along those 80s business ideologies and actually cares about the customers, but regardless, I'm still doubtful Apple Retail will be as great in a year or so's time.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Just a note on this guy

1. He was the executive officer of Tesco online services for 7 years! So he knows a lot about technology, enterprise, cloud computing...

2. Dixons came out of the financial crisis pretty well. I think his strategy to combine PC World and Comet (one computer the other home appliance) was a very good one! People could do most of their shopping in one go and perhaps spend a bit more.

3. Listen to his interviews online, he is not stupid in fact he is competent!

This is not to say that Dixons et al are good in any way, they use 16 year olds on minimum wage to give computer advice! But they still exist...

Thanks for providing some information on the company for those of us outside of the UK :). Culture and hire quality are both difficult to shift. Their hires are probably heavily influenced by their budget for labor, and then as I said there's the issue of workplace culture and the accepted practices and attitudes among employees. The thing to look at would be his influences over the direction of the company rather than its isolated present state.

OXO

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Wow, bunch of super smart, super successful people here! You all OBVIOUSLY know better than Tim Cook! You guys should really email him and let him know he's making a mistake and give him some more advice why you're at it! /sarcasm

Seriously people, YOU think you know better. That's just great. One person is never responsible for a shopping experience. I've said it once, I'll say it again. How do you know that Browett didn't have his hands tied by bureaucracy? Oh that's right... you DONT. If you people think you know so much, why aren't you running a head hunter agency? I love how people give their 2 cents and think they know better because sometimes people are "in the industry". Please, lets face it. EVERYONE here, including myself, is child's play compared to the level these people play and we feel we "know better".

I think it is safe to assume that you are an american who has never been to the UK, let alone visited currys, dixons, or comet.

I think we can also assume the same thing about Tim Cook, because if he had, then he would never employ anyone who was ever involved in those stores.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
As for how far removed I was from his position? Pretty far removed as I worked in store but I was easily able to see the changes he implemented.

The store revamps were impressive, but have nothing to do with employees providing good customer service.

Selling the insurance policies was big money for DSG, and as a result, their employees were forced to throw it down every customer's throat. There was bonuses for selling the most insurance policies. It didn't matter if you sold the customer the crappest TV in the world, as long as you sold them the 5 year policy, you would be salesman of the week.

Employees were told to only serve customers who were actually going to buy something. Customers just browsing were a waste of time.

Having worked at John Lewis and Currys, the cultural difference between the two is incredible. John Lewis was all about the professional service - if the customer doesn't want to buy it today, make sure you give them the best service possible, and they'll come back. Currys was the complete opposite, force the customer into buying it today.

I worked at John Lewis first for 2 years before working at Currys for a while. I've lost count the number of times I was told off for selling things the "John Lewis way" - which was basically being honest to customers (such as, that TV might cost more, but this cheaper one is actually just as good, all you're doing with that one is paying for the brand).

Customers weren't allowed to just browse either - if you saw a customer, you had to go up and try and instigate a sale. The fact that you had to instigate a sale was the thing that pissed me off most. If the customer wants to buy it, they'll buy it. If they don't, they won't. I hate going into a store to browse and suddenly being pressured to buy something by sales staff.

That is how the DSG stores operate, and how they still do. John Browett changed nothing in terms of customer service and satisfaction. Which is the reason Tim Cook appointed him - so him "saving Dixons from the economic crisis" is kind of irrelevant here.

superduperdom

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
He has a proven track record and one to avoid.
He and dixon's et al stand for the opposite of what Apple
represents, excellence vs creepdom.
Sure give him a job, in the packing room. If he can be re-programmed then move him to concierge.
Has Tim Cook ever been to any of these stores ?
Forgive them Steve (not) for they know not what they do.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Having worked at John Lewis and Currys, the cultural difference between the two is incredible. John Lewis was all about the professional service - if the customer doesn't want to buy it today, make sure you give them the best service possible, and they'll come back. Currys was the complete opposite, force the customer into buying it today.

Customers weren't allowed to just browse either - if you saw a customer, you had to go up and try and instigate a sale. The fact that you had to instigate a sale was the thing that pissed me off most. If the customer wants to buy it, they'll buy it. If they don't, they won't. I hate going into a store to browse and suddenly being pressured to buy something by sales staff.

I think part of this is cultural between the US and UK. Customers in the US are more used to sales people approaching them. Even at a high end store like Nordstrom (known for its customer service) you will be greeted and "helped," though much less aggressively. When I lived in the UK, it took some getting used to. The first time I went to a department store looking to buy something, I stood around restlessly waiting for someone to appear. I almost wanted to wave my credit card around and shout "helloooo!" but then I finally saw and approached a sales person.

that said, the Apple Store experience is a little bit more like the traditional UK experience in that you are rarely approached by a sales person. Part of this is deliberate, but I think another part of it is that there are so many people that the sales staff can't get to everyone.

I think an American walking into a Dixons store would be far less put off than the posters from the UK here.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

They didn't bring Ron Johnson in to bring Target in to Apple Stores either.. Everything worked out just fine.

True, though Target also owned Dayton's, Hudson's, and Marshall Field's at the time, which were high end stores known for customer service (and sadly are now part of the bland Macy's chain).

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2005
I got an identical reply

I sent a similar email and got an identical reply. Must have been quite a few people emailing him yesterday... ;)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Funny....it was around 2007 that Tesco changed for the better. Before that they were loosing a huge marketshare to Asda/Walmart. After 2007 they started the agressive Tesco Local program.

So thats two large companies that under Browett, didn't do too well. Lets hope he'll either change for the better, or be booted out pretty quickly.

----------

The other candidates were probably the CEOs of Poundland and Lidl.

They are both doing EXTREMELY well compared to Dixon Group ;)

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2005
Further, I came to realise it was daft to question their hiring him purely on the basis of the terrible reputation DGS has in the UK. It's been bad for decades, and he was only there from 2007. One man can't turn that around in 4 years. There must be more to him, and he's not going to single-handedly poison Apple's entire retail line.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
The Dixon's guy's gonna go home and tell his family...

"you will never know what job i've just blagged"

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And you sir, speak as if you have no business experience at all.

Gotta love all the comments from the peanut gallery here. Do you idiots actually think Tim Cook and the board are going to give this guy enough control to alter the Apple store experience for the worse? I've said it before. They hired this guy for international exposure and his connections in Europe.

For goodness sakes, a monkey could fill this position. Whats Apples retail vision? More of the same please!
Exactly. No way Cook and the board would change something that's clearly working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.