Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iboot_ipad_3_1.jpg

BGR reports that it has received from a source photos of what are claimed to be screenshots from Apple's iBoot development and debugging software for the bootrom showing details on an iPad 3. The screenshots, which show references to the known "J1" and "iPad3,1" code names, reveal that the device will indeed be using a new application processor carrying an S5L8945X identifier, presumably as part of a new A6 system-on-a-chip.
For starters, the model numbers are J1 and J2 (iPad3,1 and iPad3,2), and while DigiTimes reported this a few weeks ago, these two models are not different devices, just a single iPad available in two versions -- one with Wi-Fi only and one with Wi-Fi and embedded GSM/CDMA/LTE for all carriers. Also included in the photos is, for the first time, confirmation of which processor Apple will be using in the iPad 3: an A6 processor with model number S5L8945X. For reference, the Apple A4 model was S5L8930X and the A5 is S5L8940X.
The report notes that the processor is expected to be of the quad-core variety, up from the current dual-core processor used in the A5 on the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. The report also reiterates claims that the iPad will support LTE alongside GSM and CDMA 3G networks in a single device.

iboot_ipad_3_2.jpg

BGR offers no assessment of the reliability of the source of the photos, and iBoot output could be easily faked, but if legitimate the details bolster claims that the iPad 3 will be a major upgrade to the popular tablet device.

Article Link: Photos of Debug Software Show Alleged Details of iPad 3 with Quad-Core A6 and LTE

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
As it appears, this is not a retina display, unfortunately. I can literally see the pixels in the picture.

So I believe there are two possibilities:
1) The next-gen iPad won't have a higher resolution display and this info is correct
2) This is a second generation iPad and this debug software is fake

Interesting. :)

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
As it appears, this is not a retina display, unfortunately. I can literally see the pixels in the picture.

1) The next-gen iPad won't have a higher resolution display and this info is correct

Errr it's not photos of an iPad's screen though...
Looks like photos of a Mac's screen.

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011

The display is from a Mac...

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Nobody said this was a screenshot from the iPad 3 though.
You are correct. I was assuming it was taken from an iPad 3 because of the black border and because BGR is talking about the source possessing an iPad 3 prototype.

"A source claiming to be in possession of an iPad 3 prototype provided BGR with images containing details about Apple’s highly anticipated third-generation tablet."

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
I didn't know that. When I saw the black border, I was thinking of the iPad.
If it's from a Mac, anything is possible.
The 'black' border is the standard OSX Lion background :D
Let's hope the event announcement is soon

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
wow!! that is major!!! add this to the rumors of retina display and iPhone 4s cameras and this this is gonna rock!! only thing i'd like to see added now is more storage or card slot.

alex-web

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Looks more like a reflection of a mac display on the iPad glass front...
You can clearly see the rounded corners which is typical for every iPad Software.

Or maybe the iOS Simulator on the Mac has a transparent window which doesn't have a grey border ;)

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
So atleast we know if the iPad 3 is getting LTE, we now know that a redesigned iPhone 5 will also be getting LTE. (It will be redesigned because if you remember, LTE chips will force some design changes that Apple did not want to make at the time)

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
There will be no iPad 3. Apple will release the iPad 3.1415926 just to bake our brains.

Edited to say: I don't think it will have USB 3 for the reason that I don't know of any Macs that have USB 3. If you don't have anything to plug the port into, why put in the port.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
It'll be even more rare to see a pre-release photo of a screen now unless a device is stolen because they all have individual 'tells' imbedded. That's how they nailed the CES leak source.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
You can clearly see the rounded corners which is typical for every iPad Software.

OSX apps also have rounded corners. If you make them full-screen, you get the same effect as you would with an iPad app.

HigherEd

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
There will be no iPad 3. Apple will release the iPad 3.1415926 just to bake our brains.

Edited to say: I don't think it will have USB 3 for the reason that I don't know of any Macs that have USB 3. If you don't have anything to plug the port into, why put in the port.

The name would have to change: it would become the iπd (i-pi-d).

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
LTE on an iPad?

Am I going to pay my groceries with an iPad? It is better with the credit card!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.