Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, whose long-standing claims of an Apple television set have been gaining steam in recent months as new rumors have surfaced in support of the idea, issued a research note late yesterday (via AppleInsider) discussing some new developments with Apple's work. Specifically, Munster notes that he had recent discussion with a "major TV component supplier" which disclosed that Apple had contacted the company to inquire about their products. The disclosure adds another data point to rumors from Asian supply chains that Apple has been working on a television set. The relevant portion of Munster's report is quoted by Barron's:
In Jan-12 we spoke with a major TV component supplier who has been contacted by Apple regarding various capabilities of their television display components. We see this as continued evidence that Apple is exploring production of a television. This latest data point follows Jan-11 meetings in Asia that led us to believe Apple was investing in manufacturing facilities for LCD displays ranging from 3.5? mobile displays to 50? television displays. In Sept-11 we met with a contact close to an Asian supplier who indicated that prototypes of an Apple Television are in the works. We believe TV hardware could be ready for a late CY12 launch, but the timeline and scope of a revamped content solution is more uncertain.
Observers have been looking for Apple's next major product line even as the iPad and iPhone experience booming sales and the Mac continues its resurgence with long-standing steady growth easily outpacing that of the overall PC industry. The rumor mill clicked into high gear on the topic of an Apple television set with Steve Jobs' disclosure in his authorized biography that he had "finally cracked" how to revolutionize television technology.

apple_tv_favorite_tv_shows-500x336.jpg
Rumors have since focused on an integrated television set involving iTunes and iCloud and controlled via Siri voice technology. One report has claimed that Apple design chief Jony Ive has a 50-inch Apple television set prototype in his design lab, although various sources have at different times claimed a wide range of sizes for Apple's TV set, from 32 inches to over 50 inches.

Sources seems to suggest that Apple is shooting for a launch of its television set later this year or early next year. What remains unknown is whether Apple will be able to make any revolutionary changes on the content side within that timeframe. The company has made several efforts to work with content providers on ideas such as "best of TV" packages that would be made available through iTunes and enable users to in some cases eliminate their cable television subscriptions, but the company has reportedly made little progress in those negotiations.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Investigating Television Set Components as Anticipation Builds

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
i think Apple should start talking with car manufacturers, just to watch the rumors pour in.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Hopefully this additional product will not put any additional pressure on Foxconn employees. They're close to the edge as it is.

Christ... Here we go with the "Lets post for the sakes of posting!!!!!" brigade.
:rolleyes:

At least try to keep it on topic..

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Hopefully this additional product will not put any additional pressure on Foxconn employees. They're close to the edge as it is.

That didn't take you too long :rolleyes:

I am still under the notion that I will believe when I see it when it comes to the Apple TV. That being said, with all these rumors, I really hope something comes out of this

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
I am so excited to see what this will end up like. I just purchased a Samsung TV just a few months ago and I love it as far as looks and picture quality goes. The software on it is absolutely terrible though. I'm even more interested to see how they style this TV. The edges of my Samsung are so slim you can't even see them while watching TV which I love. I wonder if Apple will go for that minimal look as well.

Oh the anticipation!!! :apple:

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Will be great if you can subscribe and pay for only the channels you wish to receive. Otherwise it'll be just another TV with a massive premium attached.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I think the main roadblock found by HTPC (Home Theater PC) vendors and enthusiasts has been the implementation of a Digital Cable TV Tuner.

Before the transition to Digital TV, we were able to find lots of TV Tuner Cards hand USB adapters to choose from. Of course, encrypted channels would still be unavailable unless the TV Tuner card implemented a CableCard slot, which cable companies have always claimed it doesn't work well and has problems.

Now that Cable is going all digital, it's no longer possible for someone to create it's own HTPC or tune into Digital Cable. Partial channel availability is available by TV Tuners with QAM support, which are only good to tune into unencrypted Channels, which are usually your local OTA channels.

I hope Apple found a way through or around that huge roadblock, and is going to let us record our TV shows for later viewing (Am I dreaming too much??).
For some reason I do believe Apple may not even consider Cable Companies in their plans for their new AppleTV Set.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003

Perhaps you missed the front page article –*just a few stories below this one – detailing FoxConn hiring thousands of new employees for expanded facilities. You may also have missed the articles elsewhere detailing Foxconn’s plans to open 5 new facilities in Brazil.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I am skeptical about an Apple TV, I really want to see what they come up with. However, I cannot see them competing with the market. A 55" Apple TV will likely cost well above what you can pick them up for these days, and I couldn't see them incorporating 3D into it. It just doesn't seem like Apple. Prove me wrong :apple:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Everyone is waiting for ONE thing... the price.

Apple's TV might be sold for cost just because it makes everyone go through Apple services and buy billions and billions of dollars of programming/apps/stuff. If they can swing something like that and provide a TV service which accommodates people better than these awful cable companies and lacking download services (ahem--Apple), it will bust out. The biggest hassle is probably going to be rustling in all the entertainment companies/providers and ALL their back inventory for download.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

How is this not on topic? Are these TVs going to come out of thin air? This report does mention an unknown supplier - so this is very relevant.

Ok, so we are going to have to hear you cry about foxconn workers in every thready because this is an apple news site? Go troll a sony rumors site.

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
It would have to compete with the features of tvs now, then I made consider it. Wonder if it will support Blu-Ray?:p

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
There are so many significant problems with an iTV. How do you elegantly solve the problem of obsolescence? Imagine trying to run iOS 5 on the 4 year old iPhone1, now imagine trying to run iOS8 on a 7 year old iPhone 1. People simply don’t upgrade their televisions frequently enough. You’ve got removable “brains” like Samsung is going to do, but that seems inelegant and fraught with problems. There’s the iPad/iPhone as brain, but that too introduces problems both technical and positioning.

The far larger problem though is an iTV forced to deal with Cable/Satellite providers doesn’t solve the problem of television. An iTunes subscription deal doesn’t solve the problem of live television.

Unless Apple has something big planned and can whip a few Cable/Satellite companies inline like they did with cell phone operators I can’t see an iTV being successful.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I'm also skeptical regarding Apple's ability to offer a television set that is fully-featured and price affordable. As someone above me said, the only way I could see that happening is if they sell the television for only a bit more than it costs to produce, to then make money from services.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
There are so many significant problems with an iTV. How do you elegantly solve the problem of obsolescence? Imagine trying to run iOS 5 on the 4 year old iPhone1, now imagine trying to run iOS8 on a 7 year old iPhone 1. People simply don’t upgrade their televisions frequently enough. You’ve got removable “brains” like Samsung is going to do, but that seems inelegant and fraught with problems. There’s the iPad/iPhone as brain, but that too introduces problems both technical and positioning.

The far larger problem though is an iTV forced to deal with Cable/Satellite providers doesn’t solve the problem of television. An iTunes subscription deal doesn’t solve the problem of live television.

Unless Apple has something big planned and can whip a few Cable/Satellite companies inline like they did with cell phone operators I can’t see an iTV being successful.

amen.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
I think the main roadblock found by HTPC (Home Theater PC) vendors and enthusiasts has been the implementation of a Digital Cable TV Tuner.
I hope Apple found a way through or around that huge roadblock, and is going to let us record our TV shows for later viewing (Am I dreaming too much??).
For some reason I do believe Apple may not even consider Cable Companies in their plans for their new AppleTV Set.

I hope Apple has found a way to bypass cable completely and get content from the internet, otherwise there won't be anything revolutionary about this.

The whole idea of a TV schedule is out of date. I want to look through a list of programs and watch the one I want now.

P.S. I really think that the TV should be generic, and Apple should continue improving the apple tv, allowing you to connect it to any modern TV.

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
"Replacing Cable Subscriptions ..."

The biggest obstacle to Apple (or NetFlix or HULU or anyone else) replacing cable or directv subscriptions is a combination of content (that's a licensing issue that could be overcome) and bandwidth limitations, which I consider the most serious.

Assume such new TVs are to be High Definition (at least 1080i60, but better 1080p60; p30 or p24 would be OK, too), most if not all ISPs have monthly limitations on download volumes. My Comcast is 250GB. So if you just dump cable or directv and try to watch content using Internet streaming or downloads only, you will likely exceed your allocation quickly. And at least Comcast's punishment is to ban you from their service for at least a year after one warning. And they have NO residential service that provide more data allocation. You might be able to buy a business internet connection, but I don't know what their restrictions on that are (user agreement, etc.)

Certainly, if the bandwidth allocation nut can be cracked, and true HD at BluRay quality can be provided, and lots of content can be rented or purchased for multiple views (and stored in cloud or on your personal Hard Drive... like iTunes music can be), then physical media is pretty much dead except for business and small scale (wedding, school plays et al) video.

But until that happens, many will continue to get their higher quality video via cable / directv / optical media, augmented from time to time with internet provided video from Apple / Netflix / Hulu et al.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Not. Going. To. Happen.

Do people actually realize that it's always Gene Munster repeating his own nonsense, and no other decent sources have sprung up so far?

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
The biggest obstacle to Apple (or NetFlix or HULU or anyone else) replacing cable or directv subscriptions is a combination of content (that's a licensing issue that could be overcome) and bandwidth limitations, which I consider the most serious.

Assume such new TVs are to be High Definition (at least 1080i60, but better 1080p60; p30 or p24 would be OK, too), most if not all ISPs have monthly limitations on download volumes. My Comcast is 250GB. So if you just dump cable or directv and try to watch content using Internet streaming or downloads only, you will likely exceed your allocation quickly. And at least Comcast's punishment is to ban you from their service for at least a year after one warning. And they have NO residential service that provide more data allocation. You might be able to buy a business internet connection, but I don't know what their restrictions on that are (user agreement, etc.)

Certainly, if the bandwidth allocation nut can be cracked, and true HD at BluRay quality can be provided, and lots of content can be rented or purchased for multiple views (and stored in cloud or on your personal Hard Drive... like iTunes music can be), then physical media is pretty much dead except for business and small scale (wedding, school plays et al) video.

But until that happens, many will continue to get their higher quality video via cable / directv / optical media, augmented from time to time with internet provided video from Apple / Netflix / Hulu et al.
+1

It's all about how we obtain content, not the screen that displays it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.