Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I remember around 17 years ago, I knew a guy who had a Mac, and he had a Pac-Man clone game installed on it. By "clone" I mean it was not an official Pac-Man game, but it was still pretty much the same with the yellow guy chomping dots in a maze being chased by ghosts. It was very fun and had great music. I'd love to be able to find it somehow.

Now assuming I were to find it, would I be able to play it on Mac OS X? Would Mac OS X be backward compatible with a Mac program from 17 years ago?

wedgetable

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
Did Pac-Man have a colorful hat, and did the music contain MOD versions of Harold Faltermeyer's "Axel F" and Technotronic's "Pump Up the Jam"? If so, I also had that game, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called!

If I ever get a chance to hook up my old Performa again and find it, I'll follow up here. I believe the person in this thread is also trying to think of the same game.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Did Pac-Man have a colorful hat, and did the music contain MOD versions of Harold Faltermeyer's "Axel F" and Technotronic's "Pump Up the Jam"? If so, I also had that game, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called!

If I ever get a chance to hook up my old Performa again and find it, I'll follow up here. I believe the person in this thread is also trying to think of the same game.

I don't remember the colorful hat, it's been too long to remember the details. I know it did have a song by the techno band Utah Saints called "What Can You Do For Me".

wedgetable

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
A friend was able to help me out! Was it Maniac? Here's a video if you're not sure. The songs we mentioned aren't in there, but that is probably due to the fact that you could put your own music files in the game.

I'm afraid this game was never released for Mac OS X, so unless you have an older Mac OS X computer with a PowerPC chip and "Classic mode", you won't be able to run it natively. However, if you follow my first link above, that site has recommendations on how to get these older games working on new systems.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Thanks for the links. I don't remember the Hangman aspect of the game, so I'm not sure if this is it or not. Maybe I'll try to get in contact with the guy who had the game and show him this video and see if he remembers if that's it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.