Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
try living in Asia, eg, Hong Kong or Singapore where $120 000 can only buy you a toyota corolla. Ferrari's and Lambo's costing up to 1.5m. Astons for 800k

Exactly.

Our fuel is quite expensive too at HKD$17-18 per litre! (~USD$2.32 per litre)

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
My bad, I wonder if personally importing a car would have massive taxes attached to it, as those prices are artificially high...

I can't speak to Singapore, but importing a car into Australia certainly does. A few years ago it looked like I was headed to work there for a while, and I was driving a Z4 M Coupe at the time, so I checked into importing the car. I would have had to pay substantial customs duties on the car, AND convert it to right hand drive before being allowed to import it into Australia.

BMW Au had the MRRP at AU$135,000 on their website for the car without any options. MSRP on my loaded version here in the US was US$65,000.

jskee

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Um, $120,000 Singapore is about $10,000 USD.

the exchange rate is about 1usd to 1.29sgd.

per capita income is about 60k sgd here.

Well you guys sure have it good in the western countries. I love cars so much but its sooo expensive. A m3 cost more than 400k. Its so frustrating to see you guys pay like less than 100k for such a good car.

There are huge import taxes on all cars. Something like 200+%, then you add in all the other taxes which can be in the tens of thousands or hundred thousands depending on the type of car.

Another reason is that Singaporeans are generally quite wealthy compared to the rest of the world. I read an article once that said the top 30-40% of singaporeans are in the top 1% in the world in terms of wealth. But then again, it doesn't make us rich because everything is so expensive here.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
the exchange rate is about 1usd to 1.29sgd.

per capita income is about 60k sgd here.

Well you guys sure have it good in the western countries. I love cars so much but its sooo expensive. A m3 cost more than 400k. Its so frustrating to see you guys pay like less than 100k for such a good car.

There are huge import taxes on all cars. Something like 200+%, then you add in all the other taxes which can be in the tens of thousands or hundred thousands depending on the type of car.

Another reason is that Singaporeans are generally quite wealthy compared to the rest of the world. I read an article once that said the top 30-40% of singaporeans are in the top 1% in the world in terms of wealth. But then again, it doesn't make us rich because everything is so expensive here.

about how much percentage do you pay in Tax? In my state, NY, it's about 29%.

feeling lucky to have bought my fully loaded and only slightly used 370z for 32k :eek:

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
We are pretty damn lucky to live in the US/Canada. People really have to struggle in lots of part of the world to make ends meet. China, for example, has a huge booming economy and lots of opportunity, but a nice phone there still easily costs your entire month's salary.

jskee

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Well everything other than the actual cost of the car is in the form of tax. So for example a Mini Cooper S is going for close to 200k here atm. Which is ridiculous considering you guys pay like 20-30k for it.
We have this thing called COE (Certificate of entitlement).
Basically you are buying a license to drive on the road for 10 years.
After the 10 years, you either renew it at market rate or scrap the car. The whole idea of this COE is to control the number of cars on the road and the price is determined by demand and supply.
The current rate is 48k for a car thats 1600cc and below and 68k for anything above 1600cc.
So the COE is on top of all the import tax which is about 2.71 times the Open market value of the car.
Then you have to add in the road tax which is due yearly and that depends on what kind of car you have. It can range from a $100-$15k depending on the car's age and engine capacity.

----------

macbooks are like 10,000 there

macbooks are about 2k here. not 10k

----------

We are pretty damn lucky to live in the US/Canada. People really have to struggle in lots of part of the world to make ends meet. China, for example, has a huge booming economy and lots of opportunity, but a nice phone there still easily costs your entire month's salary.

Haha for china, they have really low wages which will change in the coming years. They plan on becoming the world's largest consumer and in order for that to happen, their wages have to be raised. Its widely known that they plan to increase wages by 15% a year for the next 5 years. Also, they do have rampant corruption which actually makes them a lot richer than most people on the world.

Well then again, I would still choose to live in Singapore even though some stuff are cheaper in US/Canada. I did my High school in Vancouver, so I have experienced your type of lifestyle. Many other things are still cheaper here, for example your mobile phone subscription. You guys are paying like triple the amount we do monthly. I pay like 38$sgd for 500minutes, unlimited text and 15gb of data for my iphone. Food is also cheaper here although its starting to creep up in the recent years.

Vook

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
Merica
Here's my car, Betsy. I wish I can driver her more.......

Attachments

• Betsy1.JPG
    Betsy1.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 140

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Well everything other than the actual cost of the car is in the form of tax. So for example a Mini Cooper S is going for close to 200k here atm. Which is ridiculous considering you guys pay like 20-30k for it.
We have this thing called COE (Certificate of entitlement).
Basically you are buying a license to drive on the road for 10 years.
After the 10 years, you either renew it at market rate or scrap the car. The whole idea of this COE is to control the number of cars on the road and the price is determined by demand and supply.
The current rate is 48k for a car thats 1600cc and below and 68k for anything above 1600cc.
So the COE is on top of all the import tax which is about 2.71 times the Open market value of the car.
Then you have to add in the road tax which is due yearly and that depends on what kind of car you have. It can range from a $100-$15k depending on the car's age and engine capacity..

Wow that's crazy. I don't know how people can live with paying so much just for a car. 48k just to drive your already extremely expensive car, and too it's just a 1600cc.

Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.