Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
Most notably to implement some kind of better library sharing across multiple stations. It'd be great, for example, to have my aperture libraries centralised on my main NAS drives and accessible by Aperture 4 from a laptop, desktop, 2nd laptop when necessary. Syncing libraries this way seems to be the way to go, with each computer happily coping with it's own prefs and UI changes etc. without disturbing the master file system.

Selective sync would be the way to go here. For example, I'd love to have one big Aperture Library and sync it between devices but raw Library size limits me in this respect. There is no way I'd be able to sync an entire library to my MBA for example. Being able to sync Library layouts and then selectively sync from there on a Project/Album/Folder basis (nothing, thumbnails or the whole works) would be ideal.

The biggest issue with a sync situation, of course, becomes dealing with conflicts. Integrate a good version control solution into the Aperture Library though and you'd have that taken care of. As a bonus, you'd get revision history and a great deal of other features out of the deal as well.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Additional - Will Lion bring Aperture update now M/Me Galleries are to be dropped?

Question to Apple:

Final Cut X is looking pretty advanced, Lion is on the way, and Crucially, iCloud is finally bumping off Mobile Me, seemingly making the 'Publish to Galleries' feature redundant.

Aperture is good but starting to show it's age. Are we due an update, perhaps Aperture X?

This would make perfect sense now with the timeline, and the platform that we already have. Apple has the opportunity to streamline Aperture's functionality, and focus on what it does best: File/Library management, OSX integration, and non destructive editing. Faces, places, and a couple of other bloating features could be left out, giving photographers what we want and need.

There's some good ideas throughout this thread, and my wishlist of improvements are on the front page to kick it off. C'mon Apple! We're nearly there!

KayFisher

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Faces Improvement & iPhoto output

1. I need to get my updated library in full or in parts to my wife in iPhoto.
I sure need a way to do this preserving faces and places.
2. Faces NEEDS our manual input. We use faces for people tagging. So lots of times the faces are side views or in helmets or the back of someones head. So we need a way to tell Aperture (and iPhoto) that this face should not be used as part of the recognization algorithm.

For now I have to stay with iPhoto until I can find a way to export from Aperture and save face data.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
I'm not an Aperture user (yet) but this thread is very interesting. I've thought about buying it several times, because I'm a designer and it gets old exporting from iPhoto to PS to work on photos.

I think after reading this I'll wait until Aperture 4 comes around to take the plunge though. :D

pixor

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2010
Austrlalia
I'm not an Aperture user (yet) but this thread is very interesting. I've thought about buying it several times, because I'm a designer and it gets old exporting from iPhoto to PS to work on photos.

I think after reading this I'll wait until Aperture 4 comes around to take the plunge though. :D

Then there will be a 'Your Aperture 5 wish list' thread, and you'll be waiting for Aperture 6 :)

MAFAv8r

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
Mattsepeta check your computer

Aperture 3 CRAWLS on my 24" iMac 2.4GHz w/ 6GB RAM. Photoshop CS4 runs screamin fast, it can turn out a 8 shot pano with 5DII files in like 3 minutes. Sometimes it takes A3 that long to simply update a preview image after applying a NIK plugin.

No excuses for this poor performance.

I think you should check your computer. You also said

A3 takes 3 minutes to export 3-5 photos at full size JPG, SLOW. I don't really understand how my other "Pro" apps run blazing fast and don't give me ANY problems, yet A3 makes me tear my hair out.

If it takes 3 minutes for you to process an 8 shot pano then you are taking around 43x longer than I am. For me to export a jpeg takes less than 5 seconds.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM. Do a search and you will find the reason, probably something to do with previews.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Sorry for bumping a relatively old thread but i am just wondering if anybody could say anymore info regarding the release of Aperture 4... is it going to be this year?

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Better masking tools, like LightRoom has. More advanced and useful brushes! I find myself only using aperture for organization and simple RAW adjustments these days. Everything else I do in Photoshop because I have found that most of Aperture's brushes are crap. Would love to see some of the Nik plugins' functions incorporated into Aperture. Lightroom has many tools similar to Nik built in, which is very attractive. I have been considering switching. If Aperture 4 isnt sufficiently impressive, I probably will.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I'd really like something to mock up diptychs and triptychs, then prepare the files for printing.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Better masking tools, like LightRoom has. Would love to see some of the Nik plugins' functions incorporated into Aperture. Lightroom has many tools similar to Nik built in, which is very attractive. I have been considering switching. If Aperture 4 isnt sufficiently impressive, I probably will.

Nik plugins are incorporated into Aperture, unless, you want Apple to build it in to aperture itself?
I can understand why you would want that - I did too originally, but after thinking about it, the fact that Nik can regularly update and improve the plugins on their own schedule means that the user gets the benefit immediately without having to wait for Apple's relatively slow upgrade cycle. It also means that you can more or less standardise the process across different platforms and apps. For example; you can use Nik on Aperture, Lightroom, and photoshop, mac, or PC. In different studio environments a photographer can work on pretty much any platform that has the software.
Personally, I wouldn't consider switching - Pros here, cons there, going round in circles. Instead learn how to use any or either or both. They both do the same thing in the end!

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
In hopes that apple actually checks out forums (like other companies that cater to professionals, not holding my breathe though)-

- PROGRESS BAR! Why in god's name would a spinning cog be OK for a pro trying to export/process 1000's of images?

- Brush in/away white balance, exposure, everything. Why not?

- Better Black/white conversion

- Better noise removal, and I would like to be able to add noise as well

- Remove "faces" "books" and any other fluff crap designed to sell to consumers. Let the consumers play with iPhoto. Let the pros work quickly and effectively with Aperture. Please, NO MORE TOY FEATURES, at least until you get Apertures performance cleaned up.

- Stitching would be nice so I did not have to round trip to photoshop, leaving big files laying around everywhere. Very minor annoyance though.

- PERFORMANCE! Make it less GPU intensive. Not sure if it is possible, but it would be nice. My 2011 2.2 i7 8GB RAM 512mb GFX ought to be able to destroy 5DII files quickly, but it doesn't.

- GUI... Not much to say here. Make it better.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I just want a little common sense in the darn thing. When I click the little twirley thing to update a Vault, the default should be OK, not Cancel. And there should be an option in Preferences to upload to my Flickr Photostream by default. I don't like having to always mess with the drop-down to do it.

Dale

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
Speed....improved speed. Also, sharing of libraries

What do you mean, "sharing of libraries"??? You can share libraries. You can even export folders/projects/albums/smart albums as a new library to share. I do that type of thing all the time.

I'd like to have the ability to open multiple libraries and drag/drop between them. That would simplify my workflow a TON!

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
What do you mean, "sharing of libraries"??? You can share libraries. You can even export folders/projects/albums/smart albums as a new library to share. I do that type of thing all the time.

I'd like to have the ability to open multiple libraries and drag/drop between them. That would simplify my workflow a TON!

Maybe I didn't explain it clearly. Say I have 15,000 photos in Iphoto. To edit those, I have to copy/import over. Ends up being in both programs (Aperture and Iphoto) and eats away space on the hard drive. Has the same effect as having 30,000 photos even though there is only 15,000 unique images. Why can't it be saved in 1 place and be used by either program?

Drop and drag as you explained above would be awesome.

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
Maybe I didn't explain it clearly. Say I have 15,000 photos in Iphoto. To edit those, I have to copy/import over. Ends up being in both programs (Aperture and Iphoto) and eats away space on the hard drive. Has the same effect as having 30,000 photos even though there is only 15,000 unique images. Why can't it be saved in 1 place and be used by either program?

I see, what you're looking for is integration between iPhoto and Aperture. That's totally different. Easier to just dump iPhoto all together. ;)

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north

No Offense but you are asking something that is not possible with ANY other software.. full compatibility to share their metadatabanks between 2 completely different packages, even if from the same manufacturer.......

Try opening your lightroom catalog in Photoshop or camera RAW.. not gonna happen...or Autodesk Maya files with Autocad...

If you bought aperture through the app store you can install it on any mac you own and you can open the library on either machine.. .
That's what I do with my wife's machine as well, the A3 library sits on a external drive and we both have access to it, though not at the same time.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Selective sync would be the way to go here. For example, I'd love to have one big Aperture Library and sync it between devices but raw Library size limits me in this respect. There is no way I'd be able to sync an entire library to my MBA for example. Being able to sync Library layouts and then selectively sync from there on a Project/Album/Folder basis (nothing, thumbnails or the whole works) would be ideal.

The biggest issue with a sync situation, of course, becomes dealing with conflicts. Integrate a good version control solution into the Aperture Library though and you'd have that taken care of. As a bonus, you'd get revision history and a great deal of other features out of the deal as well.

This I REALLY like...Will we see it? I doubt it...Would be really useful though...Anybody listening? :apple::apple:

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
No Offense but you are asking something that is not possible with ANY other software.. full compatibility to share their metadatabanks between 2 completely different packages, even if from the same manufacturer.......

Try opening your lightroom catalog in Photoshop or camera RAW.. not gonna happen...or Autodesk Maya files with Autocad...

If you bought aperture through the app store you can install it on any mac you own and you can open the library on either machine.. .
That's what I do with my wife's machine as well, the A3 library sits on a external drive and we both have access to it, though not at the same time.

I am aware it's not available in any other software. This post is dedicated to Aperture 4 wish list, and thats my wish!

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
Most of the things missing in Aperture have already been said in this thread, so I won't repeat them here.

But another thing I'd really like to see is an iPad companion app that seamlessly syncs images and adjustments with Aperture. That means: Being able to use an iPad on the go and then syncing everything back to Aperture when you're back home. All editing has to be non-destructive, of course.

Apple has already released versions of iMovie and Garageband for the iPad. What's still missing is a real photo editing program (unlike the "Photos" app that comes with the device), so I'm actually pretty confident that they'll release one this year. I'm just not sure if it will do what I want it to do. ;)

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Most of the things missing in Aperture have already been said in this thread, so I won't repeat them here.

But another thing I'd really like to see is an iPad companion app that seamlessly syncs images and adjustments with Aperture. That means: Being able to use an iPad on the go and then syncing everything back to Aperture when you're back home. All editing has to be non-destructive, of course.

Apple has already released versions of iMovie and Garageband for the iPad. What's still missing is a real photo editing program (unlike the "Photos" app that comes with the device), so I'm actually pretty confident that they'll release one this year. I'm just not sure if it will do what I want it to do. ;)

We need serious editing for the iPad. It should link to the desktop over Dropbox or at least iCloud.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area

We need serious editing for the iPad. It should link to the desktop over Dropbox or at least iCloud.

I couldn't agree with you guys more.

- David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.