Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:31 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Analyst Expects iPhone 5 to Launch at WWDC 2012 in June

The Commercial Times relays a report from Daiwa Securities that the iPhone 5 is expected to launch at Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) to be held in June 2012. Daiwa Securities also claims that the iPhone 5 will utilize "glass to glass" touch panel technology which will benefit TPK Holding and Wintek.

The summer launch claim is not new and has been echoed in previous reports. So this could simply be a parroting of previous rumors.

Apple broke from tradition with the iPhone 4S by launching it in October of 2011. Previous iPhone launches have occurred at Apple's annual WWDC conference.

The official dates for the 2012 conference have not yet been announced, but a previously leaked guide suggested June 10th-15th as the likely dates. Moscone's event calendar has those corresponding dates blocked off for a "Corporate Meeting" which typically acts as a placeholder for WWDC.

Article Link: Analyst Expects iPhone 5 to Launch at WWDC 2012 in June
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Well this is good news. I hope to see a good start without issues like that last.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:42 AM   #3
rickdollar
macrumors 6502

I'll bet it's more likely to be the preview of iOS6.
rickdollar is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Four oF NINE
macrumors 6502a

This seems premature to me.. I just got my 4S iPhone on launch date in October! Why would they update so soon?

I don't think I'm ready for a new one now.
Four oF NINE is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:47 AM   #5
Banned

This is great news for us consumers who want a new iPhone to replace the 4S that looks just the same as the iPhone 4. With the gorgeous new iPhone 5 we'll really stand out from the crowd. And we're only going to have to wait until June to get it! I can't wait!

I'm off to camp outside my local Apple store..... first in line baby!
314631 is offline   -29 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:48 AM   #6
markeisner
macrumors newbie

A little pedantic possibly but does logic follow that the next iPhone will be the iPhone 5?

It's my understanding that the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone and the "iPhone 5" name was coined in rumors prior to the launch of the iPhone 4S.

Do we really think the 6th iPhone will be called the iPhone 5 or is everyone just accepting it as a placeholder?

I do agree that a WWDC launch would be premature.
markeisner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:52 AM   #7
alexlovesmacs
macrumors 6502a

Most likely the iPhone 5 is going launch on June. What else can happen at WWDC an Apple television debut? Doubt it.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:52 AM   #8
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
This is great news for us consumers who want a new iPhone to replace the 4S that looks just the same as the iPhone 4. With the gorgeous new iPhone 5 we'll really stand out from the crowd.
Right, you'll stand out just like the millions of other people who will get one. I stand out from the crowd by still using my iPhone 3G!
kalsta is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:53 AM   #9
ah123
macrumors regular

Read title "Analyst expects..." and switch off.
ah123 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 03:56 AM   #10
William.Mantle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
This is great news for us consumers who want a new iPhone to replace the 4S that looks just the same as the iPhone 4. With the gorgeous new iPhone 5 we'll really stand out from the crowd. And we're only going to have to wait until June to get it! I can't wait!

I'm off to camp outside my local Apple store..... first in line baby!
If you need a phone to stand out from the crowd then I feel sorry for you... So very sad
William.Mantle is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:02 AM   #11
iStudentUK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.Mantle View Post
If you need a phone to stand out from the crowd then I feel sorry for you... So very sad
Especially as the iPhone suffers from terrible Prole Drift.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:05 AM   #12
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeisner View Post
A little pedantic possibly but does logic follow that the next iPhone will be the iPhone 5?

It's my understanding that the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone and the "iPhone 5" name was coined in rumors prior to the launch of the iPhone 4S.

Do we really think the 6th iPhone will be called the iPhone 5 or is everyone just accepting it as a placeholder?

I do agree that a WWDC launch would be premature.
The next iPhone will not be called iPhone 5 because it isn't the 5th one.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:13 AM   #13
chas0001
macrumors 6502a

I doubt it will be released in June. They are still releasing the iPhone 4S in some countries. We probably won't see it until late in the year if at all.
chas0001 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:15 AM   #14
mopatops
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
The next iPhone will not be called iPhone 5 because it isn't the 5th one.
Of course it will otherwise everyone will ask why they skipped 5. Most people either don't know or don't care how many previous generations there are.
mopatops is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:23 AM   #15
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopatops View Post
Of course it will otherwise everyone will ask why they skipped 5. Most people either don't know or don't care how many previous generations there are.
They didn't ask why we skipped 2, even though technically 3G wasn't the 3rd iPhone. And most people still don't even know what 3G stands for.

I believe there is a higher chance Apple will name the next iPhone 4G instead.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:26 AM   #16
Dades
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
This seems premature to me.. I just got my 4S iPhone on launch date in October! Why would they update so soon?
It's less about the new "iPhone 5" being premature, and the 4S being late.

I've kept my powder dry for the new hardware so the sooner the better afaic.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:36 AM   #17
eastercat
macrumors 68040

MTE. I feel that iphone 5* will be introduced with the ipods, etc. in October. Its timing is perfect for holiday gifts.

*Sure it'd be nice to acknowledge the fact it's the sixth gen, but I don't think it's going to happen. IMO, it'll be either 5 or 4G (if they make a phone capable of using at&t's lte).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdollar View Post
I'll bet it's more likely to be the preview of iOS6.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:37 AM   #18
mopatops
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
They didn't ask why we skipped 2, even though technically 3G wasn't the 3rd iPhone. And most people still don't even know what 3G stands for.

I believe there is a higher chance Apple will name the next iPhone 4G instead.
I think it's reasonable the next could be the iPhone 4G. And if people asked why the iPhone 2 was skipped, they would have been given the answer that it was called the 3G because it was a new technology that allowed it to access the internet. There's no reason to skip to iPhone 6 however other than to line up the generation numbers.

I'd be very surprised if the next phone wasn't either the iPhone 5 or possibly some other form of 4. i.e. iPhone 4G or iPhone 4GS
mopatops is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:41 AM   #19
MacUser5
macrumors member

False
MacUser5 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:13 AM   #20
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Good for those people waiting for a new iPhone. just got my 4S last month though, so I'll be riding it out until mid 2013
wordoflife is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:22 AM   #21
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlovesmacs View Post
Most likely the iPhone 5 is going launch on June. What else can happen at WWDC an Apple television debut? Doubt it.

We could finally see the refreshed MacPro's. Nothing to do with iPhones other than a sneak peak at iOS 6/5.5
MacRumorUser is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:27 AM   #22
BobbyRond
macrumors regular

Personally, I think it's best not to give a number to the iPhone (and the iPad), whether it be 5, 6 or whatsoever.

When the iPhone 3GS was announced, people were very happy with the faster speed, a better camera (with video recording) and a storage upgrade. Only a few people criticized Apple for not revamping the design. When the iPhone 4S was announced, everyone kept on moping that there was no iPhone 5. Although the iPhone 4S had a faster speed, a better camera, and a storage upgrade, just like the last "S" upgrade. They even threw in Siri, and a better antenna.

All that happened was that the pattern repeated. 3G -> 3GS and 4 -> 4S, so I never saw anything out of the ordinary there...

People all went nuts because of the 4, 5 or 6. I work for an APR and during the launch of the iPad 2, people were informing about the iPad 3! By dropping the numbers, people will care less about which generation it is.

If you take the iPod Nano for instance, Apple never gave that a number and that just worked fine. People who know about the differences use the numbers 1 to 6. People who don't know or don't care just call it the iPod Nano.

Although my contract is due June 27th, I do hope for a new iPhone around June, I'm afraid it's not going to happen... Wishful thinking...
BobbyRond is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:38 AM   #23
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRond View Post
Personally, I think it's best not to give a number to the iPhone (and the iPad), whether it be 5, 6 or whatsoever.

When the iPhone 3GS was announced, people were very happy with the faster speed, a better camera (with video recording) and a storage upgrade. Only a few people criticized Apple for not revamping the design. When the iPhone 4S was announced, everyone kept on moping that there was no iPhone 5. Although the iPhone 4S had a faster speed, a better camera, and a storage upgrade, just like the last "S" upgrade. They even threw in Siri, and a better antenna.

All that happened was that the pattern repeated. 3G -> 3GS and 4 -> 4S, so I never saw anything out of the ordinary there...

People all went nuts because of the 4, 5 or 6. I work for an APR and during the launch of the iPad 2, people were informing about the iPad 3! By dropping the numbers, people will care less about which generation it is.

If you take the iPod Nano for instance, Apple never gave that a number and that just worked fine. People who know about the differences use the numbers 1 to 6. People who don't know or don't care just call it the iPod Nano.

Although my contract is due June 27th, I do hope for a new iPhone around June, I'm afraid it's not going to happen... Wishful thinking...
the reason people complained so much about the 4s over the 4 is the speed and overall upgrade wasn't as big as the 3-3gs. the 3 was super slow compared to the 3gs. going from a 4 to a 4s isn't that huge of a difference. I'm glad i didn't get the 4s i was one of the first to get the 4 and can't wait for the 5. I think they will go back to the original summer launch. They will sell just as much if not make more money because the 4s guys will wanting to be upgrading and they just bought their phones. Seems like a good way to make people upgrade and spend more money.
x-evil-x is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:41 AM   #24
Xcallibur
macrumors 6502a

I'd like it to be an iPhone 5, I had the iPhone 4S but it suffered from calling issues, so I had a full refund, but it made me think about its lack of certain features which I'm sure they will add in the iPhone 5; like NFC, possibly 4G and an upgraded front-facing camera. So I'm sat here thinking if I'm spending 600 on a phone, I would at least like it to last me a couple of years and be happy with the technology within the phone. So I still haven't replaced my old phone.
32GB iPod Touch (3G)
Xcallibur is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:50 AM   #25
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

I have an iPhone 4 and would delight in a new phone, if Verizon will allow an early contract termination without ETF.

If it happens, it happens.

If it doesn't, I hate to admit it, but my life will go on nicely (such as it is!).

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion