Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While companies such as Avid and Adobe have attempted to capitalize on Apple's Final Cut Pro X missteps by wooing users in need of professional video editing and production software, AllThingsD notes that Avid is pushing forward on the mobile "prosumer" front with its just-launched Avid Studio [App Store] app for iPad.

avid_studio_ipad_1.jpg

The iPad obviously imposes some limitations on what can be done with the software compared with the full Avid Studio for Windows, but Avid suggests that it is full-featured enough to be used for editing on the go and is ideally suited as a companion to the desktop app.
The idea is that the iPad app and the desktop software are complementary, [Avid vice president Tanguy] Leborgne said, so that users who want to create and edit projects on the go can do so, but ultimately preserve them by taking them to the PC.

The Avid iPad app does have some nice features, including an interface that includes a storyboard area and an editing timeline. And while some video editors rely heavily on customized keyboards or a mouse, others might appreciate the ability to pinch and squeeze videos and images to scale them on the touchscreen of the iPad, or the ability to move text and titles around with their fingers.
avid_studio_ipad_2.jpg

Avid Studio for iPad is launching with an introductory price tag of $4.99, which will increase to $7.99 after the first month.

Article Link: Avid Takes on Apple's iMovie with Avid Studio for iPad

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Hope Avid also releases a Mac version if this is indeed good and "ideally suited as a companion to the desktop app.".

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
Ah. Good news for us iPad 1 owners who were left out of the iMovie party, I'll be interested in trying this. Never found Reel Director particularly good.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Ah. Good news for us iPad 1 owners who were left out of the iMovie party, I'll be interested in trying this. Never found Reel Director particularly good.

for sure!

lets see how well it integrates with a mac and how good it is.. reviews?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Sounds good. I'm constantly surprised Apple worked so hard on iMovie and GarageBand for iPad, only to release them on iPhone as well. It's nice that there's a tablet-only video editor.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Please. "Prosumer?" They are consumers who don't know how to edit / tell a story. Just take the "pro" out of there and leave the editing to real professionals. Evvvvvvveryone's an editor these days apparently.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I need to know if this app allows one to pull the audio track out of a video and allow you to adjust when it starts with the video.

I have a video I shot on my i4 where the audio is out of sync and I need to fix it before I can do anything with it.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Cool. Now I hope they create an iPhone/iPod touch version to truly compete with iMovie.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Does it have a way to pull video from my iPhone? I want to be able to shot some video on my iPhone and edit it on my iPad...

SwissMac2

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Switzerland
At last, someone thinks to connect what editing you do on the iPad with what you do on your desktop. Apple doesn't have any software you can do that with.

iMovie for iPad edited movies cannot be read by iMovie on the Mac; I spent a few hours doing some editing on my iPad only to have to bin it all and transfer the video taken on the iPad to the Mac as if the iPad were a camera and then start all over again.

It seems Apple is so scared the iPad will undercut sales of Macs and Mac software that even THEY don't get how users think or use them!

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Please. "Prosumer?" They are consumers who don't know how to edit / tell a story. Just take the "pro" out of there and leave the editing to real professionals. Evvvvvvveryone's an editor these days apparently.

Wait, an Avid version of iMovie?

They must not care about us professional editors anymore...

I wondered if there would be a "boohoo" cry from the "we are above you" editors in here - and indeed, it didn't take long. You must be so high up there that you even cry if someone releases a product for other people to use. I don't do any editing and I frankly don't care much about it beyond putting my home videos on DVD for the relatives so they see my son grow up (since my family lives overseas). I feel sorry for you guys who see their inflated ego threatened if someone resleases some app which makes it easier for us tech-savvy users who are willing and able to work their way into some software for hobby editing.
What I take from your post: You must not do a very good job if an app like this makes you feel that if they bring this app, they don't care for you oh so holy professionals. Does that mean you feel that what you do is actually easy to do with this program and they take away your ability to cash in?

I know this was sarcastic and sartiric, but my point is: There are quite some video editor trolls out there thinking no one else is as "pro" as they are. Once they know a program and can make cool stuff, every change or advance is seen as a threat to their ego. :cool:

Last edited:

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
At last, someone thinks to connect what editing you do on the iPad with what you do on your desktop. Apple doesn't have any software you can do that with.

iMovie for iPad edited movies cannot be read by iMovie on the Mac; I spent a few hours doing some editing on my iPad only to have to bin it all and transfer the video taken on the iPad to the Mac as if the iPad were a camera and then start all over again.

It seems Apple is so scared the iPad will undercut sales of Macs and Mac software that even THEY don't get how users think or use them!

I think it has more to do with they need to rethink how and where video is stored. I'm thinking the next version of iMove will tie things together much better???

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Stand alone ?

Can you use this app as stand-alone or is it only working together with the studio version?

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Sounds good. I'm constantly surprised Apple worked so hard on iMovie and GarageBand for iPad, only to release them on iPhone as well. It's nice that there's a tablet-only video editor.

Huh? Only to release it on iPhone? I don't get it...what you're insinuating that is. iPhone has obviously gotten much more powerful...and if you're a musician...or composer...or at all interested in music...you'd get it! It's a Unbelievable tool...and now that it's on the iPhone...even more portable for laying down some tracks on the go.

LOL...if indeed you cut (edit), your days are indeed limited (I do too). These days...the intricacies aren't there...the software is phenomenal (Doesn't matter WHAT software you choose)...and IF you have a story, it now CAN be told. That's up to neither you nor I to judge WHO can tell that story. Nothing to do with pros/prosumers/consumers. Irrelevant these days...Indeed, editors that actually direct, produce, write, shoot, cut and distribute their story have a motivation to 'Get it Right'

I am excited to see AVID jump in to the tablet fray. These are very powerful computers we're carrying in our pockets these days...and the ability to edit and play with footage on the fly without the laptop...Awesome! Garage Band and iMovie for the iPad are nothing short of Phenomenal!!! True testaments are REAL software to actually produce...as well, the third party, cottage industry is flourishing in music and audio production...Synths, drum pads, multi track and MIDI compatibility....there are so many incredible ways to "Produce" Content these days...the iPad, in less than two years has become the one device in my 40 years of life that I never knew I needed!

**Disclaimer** I am not a spread sheet jockey, nor a novelist or math/engineering dude...I run an audio and video production business...have been in the business for 22 years now...and I will testify, "One CAN Create with the iPad!!!"**

Nice Job AVID! And Thank-You:)

Jer

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Wait, an Avid version of iMovie?

They must not care about us professional editors anymore...

Exactly!! I can’t believe Avid’s doing this!!! I just switched my entire editing suite over to Avid after Apple’s FCPX farce and this is how they thank me? I’m furious!! :mad:
Oh and before anybody dares question my validity as a PRO-EDITOR-GOD, I am the personal private editor for the top Hollywood elite, with 124 triple A Hollywood blockbusters under my belt! On top of that, I cut 15 hours of footage a day that goes out to 3 billion homes every night! Anyone who has the audacity to challenge these here facts (that’s right) is an idiot!

I, PRO-EDITOR-GOD have spoken!
;)

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
Steve Jobs would say: "Avid Studio is crap." And for me, it is. Tried it on my pc, but I prefer iMovie. But the fact that imovie for ipad can't export to imovie for mac is really a shame.

Last edited:

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
As surprising as anything about FCP X was the lack of iPad integration. I would've bet cold hard cash that Apple would've at least previewed a companion app at launch.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005

hehe, I think you've been pegged.

Exactly!! I can’t believe Avid’s doing this!!! I just switched my entire editing suite over to Avid after Apple’s FCPX farce and this is how they thank me? I’m furious!! :mad:
Oh and before anybody dares question my validity as a PRO-EDITOR-GOD, I am the personal private editor for the top Hollywood elite, with 124 triple A Hollywood blockbusters under my belt! On top of that, I cut 15 hours of footage a day that goes out to 3 billion homes every night! Anyone who has the audacity to challenge these here facts (that’s right) is an idiot!

I, PRO-EDITOR-GOD have spoken!
;)

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Cool, looks like a good product. I can't imagine anything I'd actually USE it for though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.