Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Please. "Prosumer?" They are consumers who don't know how to edit / tell a story. Just take the "pro" out of there and leave the editing to real professionals. Evvvvvvveryone's an editor these days apparently.

I'll be sure and hire a professional editor to edit the videos of my bike rides. Cause it's such a high art form.

Considering how many bad films are made by professionals with every year that can't tell a story either, you "pro's" don't have much room to talk.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I'll be sure and hire a professional editor to edit the videos of my bike rides. Cause it's such a high art form.

Considering how many bad films are made by professionals with every year that can't tell a story either, you "pro's" don't have much room to talk.

Even making a bad movie is an extremely difficult thing to do. To get to the point where you can even CUT a feature film with an actual budget requires years and years of sacrifice, poop-sandwich eating, low-wages, long hours, and working your fingers to the bone. It's not just about ability, it's about dues-paying, and who producers really think is "ready". THAT is why some editors on here scoff at recent film-school grads who edit wedding videos calling themselves "editors". When you've worked in and around Hollywood, the title means something, because not everyone earns the right to use it.

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
Exactly!! I can’t believe Avid’s doing this!!! I just switched my entire editing suite over to Avid after Apple’s FCPX farce and this is how they thank me? I’m furious!! :mad:
Oh and before anybody dares question my validity as a PRO-EDITOR-GOD, I am the personal private editor for the top Hollywood elite, with 124 triple A Hollywood blockbusters under my belt! On top of that, I cut 15 hours of footage a day that goes out to 3 billion homes every night! Anyone who has the audacity to challenge these here facts (that’s right) is an idiot!

I, PRO-EDITOR-GOD have spoken!
;)

Huuunnnnn??? Unlike Apple, AVID hasn't cancelled it's professional editing software and replaced it with a toy, WTF are you blabbering about?!

When Apple released Final Cut Express or imovie for iPad no pro editor cried or even cared. People are upset because Apple took the world's number 1 post production software, cancelled it, took iMovie, added a few things to it and renamed it Final cut.

Now I can't make it more clear to you and other similar fanboy who can't accept that apple is now completely out of the pro-video equation.

However, I can fit you all in later tonight for a puppet and drawing show, if that's what's needed.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
That's pretty slick! Still wouldn't really want to use an iPad to edit anything more than cutting off the ends of a clip and doing fade in and outs.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Even making a bad movie is an extremely difficult thing to do. To get to the point where you can even CUT a feature film with an actual budget requires years and years of sacrifice, poop-sandwich eating, low-wages, long hours, and working your fingers to the bone. It's not just about ability, it's about dues-paying, and who producers really think is "ready". THAT is why some editors on here scoff at recent film-school grads who edit wedding videos calling themselves "editors". When you've worked in and around Hollywood, the title means something, because not everyone earns the right to use it.

Very, VERY true...and such a small, tiny amount of folks actually make it in Hollywood...fewer still make it to the extent they are actually making a living from the craft these days.

Today, freelance is the way to go in my opinion...and it doesn't matter who you are...if YOU get the footage, YOU get the recognition. Editing isn't ALL about Hollywood blockbuster. Little, tiny 500 person towns with a single news station. Fella may be the shooter, editor, even the "on cam" dude/dudette. More and more and MORE people are in to video than ever before...and such very few ever really have the need for what "Hollywood" has the need for. And while I agree it's hard to "even make a bad film" in Hollywood...the door is opening wider for more folks to tell their stories...with decent gear and without a budget. It can now be considered a full fledged hobby...and any time looking through Vimeo, You Tube, Hulu, et al...one can find some very, Extremely compelling stories in motion!! I dig the 4-12 minute short films that are popping out...in to the thousands a day! I'm 40...by no means a spring chicken...but these new generation folks coming out of "Film School" (does it even exist any longer or isn't it all lumped in to JPC--Jouranlism/Public Comm?) have stories to tell and ways to tell them that I've never thought of...nor seen done in "Hollywood" in a new, and interesting way!

J

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Huuunnnnn??? Unlike Apple, AVID hasn't cancelled it's professional editing software and replaced it with a toy, WTF are you blabbering about?!

When Apple released Final Cut Express or imovie for iPad no pro editor cried or even cared. People are upset because Apple took the world's number 1 post production software, cancelled it, took iMovie, added a few things to it and renamed it Final cut.

Now I can't make it more clear to you and other similar fanboy who can't accept that apple is now completely out of the pro-video equation.

However, I can fit you all in later tonight for a puppet and drawing show, if that's what's needed.

Forgot to turn your sarcasm detector on this morning eh? :p

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Avid purchased Pinnacle a while back and their Avid Studio for Windows is some mix of Pinnacle and Avid technologies.

Pinnacle Studio was/is a pretty decent novice editor for Windows, but years ago it was very picky about hardware. Over the years Pinnacle Studio always had a bit more features than iMovie would, where iMovie would have better stability and polish.

Competition is typically good for us users so I welcome Avid to the iPad. Now that they have ported this code to XCode it would be interesting to see a version of Studio for the Mac.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Sounds good. I'm constantly surprised Apple worked so hard on iMovie and GarageBand for iPad, only to release them on iPhone as well. It's nice that there's a tablet-only video editor.
So you were upset that the app was available to more people? Did they dumb down the iPad version when the iPhone version came out?
...On top of that, I cut 15 hours of footage a day that goes out to 3 billion homes every night! Anyone who has the audacity to challenge these here facts (that’s right) is an idiot!

I, PRO-EDITOR-GOD have spoken!
;)
I didn't know that the world has 3 Billion homes (we are 7bn people on earth).

...must be sarcasm, right? At least, I got a good laugh out of it!
I also like the idea that one person would have time to edit 15 hours of footage per day (Which would take about 75-150 hours each day)

Last edited:

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Steve Jobs would say: "Avid Studio is crap." And for me, it is. Tried it on my pc, but I prefer iMovie. But the fact that imovie for ipad can't export to imovie for mac is really a shame.

I was shocked when I realized that I couldn't export to my iMovie on my MacBook. Sure, I only use iMovie for quick and simple home movie stuff, but I was on a trip and started a project with family footage, hoping to export to my Mac when I got home. iMovie for iPad is a joke. This Avid app looks better and hopefully it'll cause Apple to really beef up their iMovie app.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
My one big question: can I import an entire event camera roll event folder at once?

Biggest hangup I have now is gigabytes of imported raw video filling my iPad, and Reel Director requires I go thru a multi-tap-and-drag process for every single video I want to include and edit - prohibitive when one event folder can have over 100 videos. iMovie doesn't even run on iPad 1.

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012

Was this quote meant as sarcasm in response to the previous (and obvious) sarcasm from Lone Deranger? I hope so because this comment is the dumbest thing I've read all week.

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
Pretty decent!

While all you ladies where busy either being paranoid about your "pro" status, or defending/attacking Apple, etc. I actually bought the app and tried it out on an iPad2. VERY impressed! Much more control than iMovie. Wish it had layered compositing instead of just PIP, but overall... really nice job.

Seems some with iPad 1's are having some crash issues, but I did several tests on my iPad2 without even a soft reset, and it performed flawlessly.

Last edited:

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Was this quote meant as sarcasm in response to the previous (and obvious) sarcasm from Lone Deranger? I hope so because this comment is the dumbest thing I've read all week.

I felt it was rather amusing: it was an obvious sarcasm post. NOBODY edits 15hours of footage a day, as others have said, 15hours of footage = around 100 hours of editing (if not more).

Hyperbole... my friend. Hyperbole...

cdemiris99

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Compare with iMovie

How does it compare to the iMovie app?

(Disclosure - I am one of the developers on Avid Studio App)
Avid Studio has a very different set of features than iMovie. Most important is that we have a real timeline with frame accurate trimming. We have 3 full audio tracks where you can view waveforms for editing to your music. We provide Picture-in-Picture, Pan-and-Zoom (which iMovie also has), multi-layer compositions (called Montages), and fully customizable titles (including motion titles). I think our media library is also very strong, especially in organization (we support Events, Albums and Faces and with a large amount of media our library is very fast).

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I wondered if there would be a "boohoo" cry from the "we are above you" editors in here - and indeed, it didn't take long. You must be so high up there that you even cry if someone releases a product for other people to use. I don't do any editing and I frankly don't care much about it beyond putting my home videos on DVD for the relatives so they see my son grow up (since my family lives overseas). I feel sorry for you guys who see their inflated ego threatened if someone resleases some app which makes it easier for us tech-savvy users who are willing and able to work their way into some software for hobby editing.
What I take from your post: You must not do a very good job if an app like this makes you feel that if they bring this app, they don't care for you oh so holy professionals. Does that mean you feel that what you do is actually easy to do with this program and they take away your ability to cash in?

I know this was sarcastic and sartiric, but my point is: There are quite some video editor trolls out there thinking no one else is as "pro" as they are. Once they know a program and can make cool stuff, every change or advance is seen as a threat to their ego. :cool:

Wholeheartedly agree. I know someone who edits for TV and I frequently 'help' if you can call it that, however I think editing should be for everyone. Hobby or job, it's fun, and now that most people have access to this software, we should make the most of it.

cdemiris99

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
My one big question: can I import an entire event camera roll event folder at once?

Biggest hangup I have now is gigabytes of imported raw video filling my iPad, and Reel Director requires I go thru a multi-tap-and-drag process for every single video I want to include and edit - prohibitive when one event folder can have over 100 videos. iMovie doesn't even run on iPad 1.

When you start Avid Studio App, it enumerates your entire photo/video library on your iPad, and properly categorizes by Event, Album and Faces (for Photos). It then provides very fast and easy access to your media. Videos and photos can be added to the project by either dragging-and-dropping from the album, or by quick double-tapping to add at the current time (you can start a project and simply double-tap to keep adding clips to the end of the project).

Avid Studio detects when your media changes and re-enumerates (a quicker enumeration to update our database)

- Chris Demiris
(one of the Avid Studio App developers)

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
I felt it was rather amusing: it was an obvious sarcasm post. NOBODY edits 15hours of footage a day, as others have said, 15hours of footage = around 100 hours of editing (if not more).

Hyperbole... my friend. Hyperbole...

I realized that Lone Deranger was joking. LaDirection seemed pretty serious about it. The whole thing is wildly amusing.

AVID, Premier, FP7, FCPX, they're all great programs. If I had the time and money I'd own and know them all. Seeing the reactions to FCPX has been astonishing. So many "professional" editors act like little fanboy babies and can't just wait and see. I understand the worry and the reluctance to switch. The program isn't ready for any professionals. What I find silly is the fanboy hate and the hasty predictions. Apple no longer relevant to the professional video industry. That is laughable. Already in seven months Apple has added a ton of those missing features back into FCPX. I'm personally really exited for it. This week I've been cutting on FCP7 and already I often find myself wishing I had several of the new FCPX features.

I haven't used AVID in a few years, but I used to be very fluent in it. One of my goals this year is to get the latest version and really dive into it again. I'm super excited for this iPad app. We should all just be happy that we have so many amazing tools to work with.

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
(Disclosure - I am one of the developers on Avid Studio App)
Avid Studio has a very different set of features than iMovie. Most important is that we have a real timeline with frame accurate trimming. We have 3 full audio tracks where you can view waveforms for editing to your music. We provide Picture-in-Picture, Pan-and-Zoom (which iMovie also has), multi-layer compositions (called Montages), and fully customizable titles (including motion titles). I think our media library is also very strong, especially in organization (we support Events, Albums and Faces and with a large amount of media our library is very fast).

Brilliant job on the app by the way. Happy I bought it. Any chance there will soon be a way to do layered composite blends instead of just PIP?

Also, when I went to output, the best option was 720p. That's fine for me, but curious if it actually supports 1080?

Only two transitions, which is ok for me.. but will there be more coming?

One other thing, their are two blank video clips in my Avid Studio app library that don't appear in my videos. They are about 4 secs long, blank and no sound. How do I get rid of these? And why are they there? Nevermind... one of them is actually 4min video with a fade in from black. The other one is 4secs black that I'm guessing is slug for titles.

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Let’s look back in time less than 2 years, to the age when the very idea of having to decide between multiple video editing packages for a truly good tablet was science fiction!

cdemiris99

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Can you use this app as stand-alone or is it only working together with the studio version?

This app can be used completely standalone. If you do have Avid Studio on Windows, you can take a project from the iPad and continue to edit it on the desktop

- Chris Demiris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.