Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Gizmodo is as filthy and useless as buttwiped toilet paper. Ever since Apple kicked them out of their events after what they did with the unreleased iPhone 4, they just wait for opportunities to throw shovels of burning crap at Apple.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
"However, the fact that the Genius wasn't supposed to perform this act does not mean that this was merely an "extremely rare situation"."

You can't draw any conclusion in terms of how common this was from said action, why is the author of this article only highlighting it in one light?

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Apple Stores don't have active SIM cards lying around to troubleshoot issues with customers phones, so Geniuses HAVE to use their own SIM cards to make sure it's the phone and not the SIM. I did it, every other Genius does it. It may be unofficial, but it's not rare and it's common practice.

Edit: They're supposed to, but good luck keeping track of them. No store I worked at had a working SIM for more than two days consecutively. AT&T reps are... less than quick to respond to questions for new ones, if anyone ever remembers to ask.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm simply amazed that a fix hasn't yet been implemented. Apple in this case is simply sticking its head in the sand, hoping people will not notice the problem.

Just wait until some congressman or district attorney has his messages read. Then maybe we'll see Apple fix it.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I had that happen testing testing a coworkers iPhone with my SIM. I then got his texts (iMessages)...I learned things that no coworker should know. Two months later and it's still awkward.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Please Apple, please stop embarrassing yourselves.

Just fix it. And say you're working on fixing it. Now. This isn't something that you are secret about to generate a bit of buzz. It's a major security cockup. They happen. But you're making it worse.

Phazer

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Apple needs to implement a simple solution:

You go to apple.com/imessage

Sign in with your Apple ID and you can see all iOS devices associated with that account (listed with the device name, serial number and the last time it was used).

This page would allow you to remove any of the devices from that page and they stop receiving iMessages from your account.

The same functionality could be added to the Settings app in iOS or as a separate App if they really wanted to.

Some people have said that you can do this by deleting the device from your products list on the Apple Support page, but that doesn't work for everyone.

Get your logic out of here ;)

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
This happened to me. My old 3GS was wiped & restored. I was going to let my daughter use it like an iPod Touch.
It wouldn't get past activation after a wipe until a SIM was inserted, so I popped mine in real quick. After it activated, I removed my SIM and continued setting up the phone.

I create an Apple ID for her, and signed into iMessages. Should could then message me and some of her friends that also used iOS devices.

Messages sent to her Apple ID went through just fine.
Messages sent to *my* Apple ID went through to my phone and her phone as well.

Her phone wasn't signed into my account. My account/Apple ID wasn't used on that install of iOS at all. Just because my SIM was used to activate the device, iMessages sent to me were somehow going to *her* Apple ID.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Apple needs something more than a remote wipe. Apple needs a remote destruct. You send the destruct message and the phone can't be used by anyone until they take it to the Apple store and the Apple people reactivate it. This function needs to work, even if the thief swaps out SIM cards.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
Apple Stores don't have active SIM cards lying around to troubleshoot issues with customers phones, so Geniuses HAVE to use their own SIM cards to make sure it's the phone and not the SIM. I did it, every other Genius does it. It may be unofficial, but it's not rare and it's common practice.
They are supposed to. Each Genius Bar should have at least two "Known Good" SIMs. If they don't have them, they need to get in touch with their AT&T rep.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got my iPhone 4 replaced a few weeks ago and when i turned the new one on i got 2 iMessages popping up about a guy inviting a girl to the club, freaky enough i know the club and was confused for a while thinking hes someone i know but isnt

i guess that poor guy never got his date :(

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you're worried about selling your phone because of this issue, just remember to remove your SIM card before you do a full erase and restore of the phone. If the buyer wants to test the phone before purchasing, he or she will have to bring their own SIM card when you meet. Or, get a free new SIM card from the Apple store if your buyer doesn't have one.

musicguy1981

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
iPad2 to iPhone4s iMessage issue

I sent my wife's iPhone4s an iMessage from my iPad2, and somehow her sister (an Android user) got in on our conversation. She was actually able to reply to the messages and we were all stumped. I switched back to her iPad2 on iMessage and I haven't had an issue since.

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
It's Apple's way of preventing users from reselling their iPhone. Kidding asides, iMessage should really be routed based on the Apple ID account.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Every iPhone on display has a working/active SIM. I called my phone from one of them and got its number, I was able to call/text it like any other phone.

So they obviously have active SIMS available...

The active SIMs in the display iPhones can't be removed without taking the phone apart. To deter theft, display iPhones have their SIM tray replaced with one WITHOUT a pinhold slot to eject the SIM, so you can't get them out. They're also special accounts in some way or another.

They are supposed to. Each Genius Bar should have at least two "Known Good" SIMs. If they don't have them, they need to get in touch with their AT&T rep.

Fair point. I've added to clarify. None of my stores had one for long enough for anyone to bother asking if it wasn't in one of the test phones and none of the AT&T reps I've ever encountered would dare set foot or communicate with an Apple store other than on launch days.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I had that happen testing testing a coworkers iPhone with my SIM. I then got his texts (iMessages)...I learned things that no coworker should know. Two months later and it's still awkward.

Wait, you mean the reverse of this situation happened to you?

That is, you got someone else's texts after putting your SIM in their iphone??

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
imessage needs some notification fine-tuning.
switching SIM's in my phone resulted in my phone # getting knocked out of imessages. but did the phone tell me this?! of course not. i only realized that by going through all my settings, and noticing that it said "verifying" next to my #.

when i called apple, they kept having me doing resets. when we got up to resetting all my settings, i told them to get lost. asked on a forum, and it turned out all i had to do was turn imessage off and back on.

while this was happening i wasn't receiving ppl's msgs even though it said "delivered" for them.

some women got mad at me over this!

also, it often tells me that my msg wasn't delivered, yet i get a reply.

seriously... they need to fix this up. hopefully they will soon.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
For a device with GPS, several unique identifiers, & constant connectivity, there's no reason why an iPhone should be able to be stolen and used for anything by anyone but its rightful owner.

Logging into iCloud should not only present the find my iPhone GPS feature, but allow you to reroute all incoming communications to the web portal, have it alert you when the device comes online or auto-record location tracking & whatnot, give you the option to monitor the iPhones cameras & mic, record discretely, and prepare it as an easy package to hand to police. Police won't usually bother with recovery of a stolen phone, but if they don't have to hunt for it, and can see/hear/record the thief with the goods live, it makes for an easy recovery. Looks good at the end of a month. ...especially if it was stolen with a car or other items. iCloud should be the total control portal for your devices.

tartaruga

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2006
Florida
Cdma

At the risk of sounding silly, is this a GSM-only problem related only to the SIM card? Or is it something that would also manifest in some way on a CDMA iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.