Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
There is already too much hype and retail demand for FB. It's not a startup with explosive growth potential.

Maybe they will offer IPO shares to it's users? That's a pretty exclusive club. AOL did this when they went public when it was Mac only!

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
There is already too much hype and retail demand for FB. It's not a startup with explosive growth potential.

They have virtually no assets to substantiate this IPO. Just guts.

Insiders will make millions, late-comers will be crushed.

Buy a lottery ticket instead, and good luck.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
They have virtually no assets to substantiate this IPO. Just guts.

Insiders will make millions, late-comers will be crushed.

Buy a lottery ticket instead, and good luck.

Big money! Big money! No whammies! No Whammies! STOP!

Oh, a Facebook Whammie!!!

Edit: Step one to Facebook riches should be: Make sure you don't buy fake shares of Facebook.

Last edited:

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I think FB has a limited lifespan. It will only be around until the next big thing comes out just like FB did to MySpace. Nothing like this lasts forever on the net.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think FB has a limited lifespan. It will only be around until the next big thing comes out just like FB did to MySpace. Nothing like this lasts forever on the net.
That is the big debate. FB wants to become an Internet hub where everything you do flows through them. But can they remain popular enough before they gain that saturation or will a new upstart come in to steal their thunder.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I dunno how long it will last. I'm a pretty average user, and I'm waiting for a more convenient way to message with friends to stop using it/delete my account.

However, they got what they wanted. They will make billions, and others will lose billions...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Love em or hate em, Mark certainly has whipped the public, wall street, and the corporate space into a frenzy.

If Steve was alive he would be green with envy. Why? Mark has more control over Facebook and is in control to a greater degree than Steve Jobs during his best days.

Already awarded Blue Chip Status, Facebook has blown away everyone else with the amount of demand, the buzz, the way it's the talk of the town all over the USA. Financial Centers in SF / LA / NY / London... it's Facebook Friday.

Zuck is about to achieve an amazing feat. His personal wealth is going to explode today.

Today is but the beginning of a very interesting story now that they are about to start trading.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Love em or hate em, Mark certainly has whipped the public, wall street, and the corporate space into a frenzy.

If Steve was alive he would be green with envy. Why? Mark has more control over Facebook and is in control to a greater degree than Steve Jobs during his best days.

Already awarded Blue Chip Status, Facebook has blown away everyone else with the amount of demand, the buzz, the way it's the talk of the town all over the USA. Financial Centers in SF / LA / NY / London... it's Facebook Friday.

Zuck is about to achieve an amazing feat. His personal wealth is going to explode today.

Today is but the beginning of a very interesting story now that they are about to start trading.

You think Mark has more control over Facebook than Steve had over Apple? Yeah... I don't think so.

Hype is all that is going on right now. We have a very overvalued company with a unpredictable future. Time to buckle up.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
FB wants to become an Internet hub where everything you do flows through them.

Fast forward to the present time - Today - Facebook is already that place.

And just how do I know? Because I do NOT use Facebook. I'm the only person in my huge sphere of friends that doesn't.

Often when I want to check something out, like when Fiat brought a car back into the USA recently, I couldn't see it because it was only shown through Facebook for the first thirty days, prior to being offered for sale here.

I Googled it, and every link first demanded I sign up for a Facebook account to gain access. Now THAT is power.

For them to make a deal with Fiat North America to only show their brand new offering via Facebook was a very significant example.

So just for fun, I kept checking weekly and finally it was opened up to everyone and you could go direction to Fiats Site. I had no interest in buying one (I already have a great Mini Cooper S, my city car) but I did want to learn about the car as it was configured for sale in the USA.

Facebook is nothing if not powerful, influential, just like Steve was, and fascinating.

That said, I will NEVER use it because it has no appeal to me. Speaking only for myself it's nothing but a time waster.

I already have my own site, created for my family and friends where we share pictures, family events and all other types of things that is of interest to us, and it's all maintained by myself. Safe and very secure.

----------

You think Mark has more control over Facebook than Steve had over Apple? Yeah... I don't think so.
Time will tell, so far he's been in total control.

Hype is all that is going on right now. We have a very overvalued company with a unpredictable future. Time to buckle up.
Hype that is as good as anything Apple ever did. They learned it from Steve.

Overvalued? Probably, yet look at the buzz...

Unpredictable Future? .... everyone and everything has an unpredictable future, welcome to the reality of life.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Opening trade charts!

The opening trade chart of FB is here and also how it influenced AAPL is interesting.

Rocketman

Attachments

• Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    53 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.