Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AvidAlex

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That would make me happier than a pig in...

I shot my friend's last concert with his band and he as well as a few fans are waiting on the footage. If you can give me a little more concrete answer to work with, You have yourself a sale.

Thank you for the reply, by the way.
Unfortunately, we cannot be more specific. From how it sounds, you need this feature now... worst case tomorrow :) I would not expect it in an update that quickly. We want to get it in and do realize its importance, but there are bigger fishes to fry. i think we're talking about weeks or even months here. Your feedback, however, is very valuable and will play its part in the prioritization of things. I hope the feature will get implemented soon.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You can use several options.
1. Setup iCloud on both devices and they photos will sync across your devices. The app uses the media library on the device, so any changes should carry over into the app.
2. Sync both devices using your desktop so they have the same media.
3. Email the file to yourself (not ideal I know).

(also one of the devs on this app.)
actually the iPad camera connection kit + apple sync usb cable is a better way to do it.

afrodeziakk

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
The app crashes a ton on the iPad 1, especially if you try to render anything. Many others on the app store are reporting this

Otherwise this is great

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

AvidAlex said:

That would make me happier than a pig in...

I shot my friend's last concert with his band and he as well as a few fans are waiting on the footage. If you can give me a little more concrete answer to work with, You have yourself a sale.

Thank you for the reply, by the way.
Unfortunately, we cannot be more specific. From how it sounds, you need this feature now... worst case tomorrow :) I would not expect it in an update that quickly. We want to get it in and do realize its importance, but there are bigger fishes to fry. i think we're talking about weeks or even months here. Your feedback, however, is very valuable and will play its part in the prioritization of things. I hope the feature will get implemented soon.

LOL!

I don't need it NOW NOW RIGHT NOW!, but to know that it's "on the list" is good enough for me.

So, I have an iPad 1, and I'm hearing that it's not running so well on the first generation hardware. I think that'd take priority.

Thanks!

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Not sure if it is OK to post this link here, but there is now an UNOFFICIAL app support group on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/145067772278658/
Mods, please remove this post if it does not comply with your policies.

That's good to know. I already wrote about some issues on the app store comments, but I'll be sure to add them to FB also.

You have some serious issues with the app that I can't believe made it through QC and/or beta testing.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to embrace this app for editing some stuff, but in its current state, it doesn't even perform the simplest of its built in functions. Maybe I need to wave a dead chicken over the iPad, haven't tried that solution yet.

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
I used it yesterday and it's amazing good. Now i'm going to import all my iphone video's from my holiday (60 clips) to the ipad . I'm curious if editing such a lot of clips will be easy on my ipad. The only problem is that I have only a 16GB ipad 2....

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Man oh man I just read through this thread and I am completely psyched. Seeing the exchanges between Avid folks and real users in the field is exciting. Obviously this app is the first step in a process, but it's great to see that the process has energy!

I just posted some lengthy thoughts about this, but suffice to say "Thank You Avid!" for bringing continued legitimacy to the iPad.

briceman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Started using the app last night to edit a short video. It worked flawlessly. The only issue I seemed to have is figure how to shorten text to not extend across an entire clip. Any ideas?

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
i'm going to import all my iphone video's from my holiday (60 clips) to the ipad . I'm curious if editing such a lot of clips will be easy on my ipad.

That was my question (have several hundred clips to merge & edit); cdemiris indicates it should go well. Let us know how it goes (due to a confluence of issues, said several hundred clips are preventing me from upgrading to iOS 5 which prevents me from getting the Avid app which prevents me from processing said several hundred clips; now that the app is out for $5, I'm gonna spend the weekend beating that deadlock into submission).

raptor-ani

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
I bought this app and it's really great but with the Picture in picture, I can't figure out how to get sound from both the videos to be played together.

It will only play audio from only one of the videos. I've been waiting for an app that would do PIP for ages, but without being able to get sound from both videos at the same time during playback I can't really use it.

Another alternative is to use another app to extract the audio of the video that is missing sound and try import it into the Avid Studio app, but i don't think you can do a "open in" to import media into the Avid Studio media library. I'd have to resort to copying the mp3/wav to itunes and import to the ipad which is more time consuming and not ideal.

Will either of these features be supported in a future update? If so, how soon would it be?

TheXIIIth

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Did anyone else notice?

It would appear that Avid Studio has a slight advantage over iMovie in the fact that Avid Studio allows you to use some iTunes purchased video content. I can't vouch for all videos but I just happened to have Michael Jackson's Thriller video on my iPad2 when I installed Avid Studio. Not only did Avid find and recognize that video but I was also able to drag it on to the timeline, edit it and render a clip with it.

AvidAlex

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
I used it yesterday and it's amazing good. Now i'm going to import all my iphone video's from my holiday (60 clips) to the ipad . I'm curious if editing such a lot of clips will be easy on my ipad. The only problem is that I have only a 16GB ipad 2....

I did several personal projects with amount of clips ranging from 20 to 100. Worked just fine on iPad2.

----------

That's good to know. I already wrote about some issues on the app store comments, but I'll be sure to add them to FB also.

You have some serious issues with the app that I can't believe made it through QC and/or beta testing.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to embrace this app for editing some stuff, but in its current state, it doesn't even perform the simplest of its built in functions. Maybe I need to wave a dead chicken over the iPad, haven't tried that solution yet.

Are you on iPad1 or iPad2?

----------

Started using the app last night to edit a short video. It worked flawlessly. The only issue I seemed to have is figure how to shorten text to not extend across an entire clip. Any ideas?
The only way to do it at the moment is to split your clip where you want your title to start and end.

----------

I bought this app and it's really great but with the Picture in picture, I can't figure out how to get sound from both the videos to be played together.

It will only play audio from only one of the videos. I've been waiting for an app that would do PIP for ages, but without being able to get sound from both videos at the same time during playback I can't really use it.

Another alternative is to use another app to extract the audio of the video that is missing sound and try import it into the Avid Studio app, but i don't think you can do a "open in" to import media into the Avid Studio media library. I'd have to resort to copying the mp3/wav to itunes and import to the ipad which is more time consuming and not ideal.

Will either of these features be supported in a future update? If so, how soon would it be?

Without a proper mixer, we had to go for just one audio stream from PIP. Will look into this for the future updates. Cannot promise anything though. (I think somebody asked this on Facebook, as well)

bdunlap

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
First off I want to start off by thanking the Avid guys for comming on here and supporting their product.
We use media composer day to day at work and love it.

This app was just what I was looking for in terms of simple video editing.

The problem I am having is -

When I create about a 2.5 mineut picture in picture clip every thing works great but when I go to render it the app crashes and goes back to the home screen. Fortunately non of my work is losses but it won't let me render it out.

I am on a 64gig iPad 2 with about 30 gigs of free space left on it.

Thanks!

----------

First off I want to start off by thanking the Avid guys for comming on here and supporting their product.

When I create about a 2.5 mineut picture in picture clip every thing works great but when I go to render it the app crashes and goes back to the home screen. Fortunately non of my work is losses but it won't let me render it out.

Thanks!

I should add that I have completely shut down and restarted the iPad as well

AvidAlex

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012

Thanks!

----------

I should add that I have completely shut down and restarted the iPad as well
We are investigating... Does it also crash with shorter PIPs?

----------

Just want to share that there is a way to CROP and ROTATE your videos and photos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDAl-sYJPUc

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Are you on iPad1 or iPad2?

Hello Alex, I am on iPad2 wi-fi only with 32 gigs of ram. I've had more crash issues since posting this. Hope you guys can sort out the issues and get a few more functions (like audio clipboard) integrated into the next revision.

AvidAlex

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Hello Alex, I am on iPad2 wi-fi only with 32 gigs of ram. I've had more crash issues since posting this. Hope you guys can sort out the issues and get a few more functions (like audio clipboard) integrated into the next revision.

Thanks for the clarification. iPad2 seems to have much less issues than the original one, but there are, indeed, several problems reported for it, too. Sorry to hear, that you are having problems with yours.
Would it be possible for you to answer a few questions below:
- How big is your media library?
- How much of free storage space do you have left? At the moment we recommend having at least 4GB.

We're working hard on getting an update out as soon as possible to address at least some of the issues at first.

In the meantime, you might want to try the following:
- Make sure you have the latest iOS
- Try turning airplane mode on
- Try locking display orientation
- Avoid using more than two video clips in a Montage (use photos instead)

Thank you for your patience!

AvidAlex

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Avid Studio 1.0.1 has just appeared in the app store. This update reduces memory usage and improves stability (particularly on the iPad 1).

We are continuing to work on improving stability for all types and resolutions of media (note that on iPad1 we recommend using the lowest resolution possible, definitely not over 720p).

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Avid Studio 1.0.1 has just appeared in the app store.

Alas, I got Avid Studio precisely because it ran on iPad 1 ... and the replacement app Pinnacle Studio did not. Having just now upgraded to a supported tablet, the replacement is not free. Took a while to find the original app amid my purchases; we'll see how well Avid Studio 1.x runs on an iPad 4.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.