Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:51 PM   #26
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgree03 View Post
Anyway, Amazing that apple takes that much of the profit in this space. Selling similar or often inferior parts for a premium price works well. I hope others don't follow, it will slow down innovation.
You're not selling a device. You're selling User Experience and the ecosystem that's built around it.

The competition has yet to learn this.
*LTD* is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:56 PM   #27
gri
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman1893 View Post
Pretty unbelievable for what the sales were in 2007
Yep - I actually miss those days where NOT everyone had an iPhone and the iPhone 1 was rare and people were curious to see it. I went with it to Europe to a meeting and people flocked around me... And from the first switching it on I knew that I would never have another phone again (at that time flip phone).
Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:58 PM   #28
RalfTheDog
macrumors 65816

Who were the red and the purple? Sad when your sales are not enough to give you room for your name.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:00 PM   #29
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgree03 View Post
Terrible OS? LMAO you just lost all credibility, which if you make statements like this frequently, your credibility wasn't that high anyway

Anyway, Amazing that apple takes that much of the profit in this space. Selling similar or often inferior parts for a premium price works well. I hope others don't follow, it will slow down innovation.
When did Apple start selling phone parts?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:02 PM   #30
cotak
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo.hopkins View Post
Hopefully this will put an end to people mindlessly spouting off that Apple is a dying beast.
Except that saying Apple's success in the future is assured at this point is like the Romans saying Rome's empire will last forever during Trajan's rule.
cotak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:03 PM   #31
xtemperedx
macrumors newbie

"$500? For a phone?!?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qycUOENFIBs
xtemperedx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:05 PM   #32
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheDog View Post
Who were the red and the purple? Sad when your sales are not enough to give you room for your name.
Sony and LG. The actual article has better naming.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:05 PM   #33
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtemperedx View Post
...And a few years later, Microsoft makes a touch screen OS for smartphones with no business features in an attempt to compete with it
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:14 PM   #34
wickerman1893
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gri View Post
Yep - I actually miss those days where NOT everyone had an iPhone and the iPhone 1 was rare and people were curious to see it. I went with it to Europe to a meeting and people flocked around me... And from the first switching it on I knew that I would never have another phone again (at that time flip phone).
Exactly...I feel the same way. The feeling of being different and "supreme" to other phones was great. The phone is a lot better now...but it's so common that it takes away from the feeling a little.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:25 PM   #35
cotak
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Sell to joe and jane yes. Making money off it not so much even for apple.

It was always surprising to me how little apple gets from itunes. Vs their profits from phone hardware.
cotak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:28 PM   #36
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Wow, that chart is remarkable to look at. To see a titan like Nokia whither and die in 5 years is jaw dropping. Any business leader at risk of complacency needs to have this chart taped to their glasses-- this is what happens when you think you rule the world. You need to be proactive from beginning to end, because things can change too quickly to react.

I also love that this puts the lie to the model where success depends on shipping cheaper and cheaper crap in higher and higher volumes.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:56 PM   #37
Exhale
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotak View Post
It was always surprising to me how little apple gets from itunes. Vs their profits from phone hardware.
Does the average customer even spend 100 dollars on iTunes services? 50 dollars? If you consider the 30% revenue straight as profit, that still adds up to a very small sum.
Exhale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:07 PM   #38
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Apple reached 75% of profit share, nearly 40% of revenue share and 9% of units share.
So Apple make 75% of profits with 9% of the shipments (and sales). If that's not amazing I don't know what is. Apple worked out how to sell less of a product then the competition but make way more profit doing so.
the8thark is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:18 PM   #39
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotak View Post
If you have an iPhone, how much do you spend on apps?

Versus the amount you've spent on your iPhone(s) plus (in the U.S.) 2 years worth of your cellular bill payments (a big portion of which goes to the iPhone price subsidy, and thus Apple's profits).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
So Apple make 75% of profits with 9% of the shipments (and sales). If that's not amazing I don't know what is. Apple worked out how to sell less of a product then the competition but make way more profit doing so.
These percentages are not that far out of line. In lots of market categories and professions, one rule of thumb is that the top 20% of customers produce 80% of the profits. Apple is skimming half of the cream on top. After that, it's diminishing returns. Selling stuff to blokes who have no money for the best bling (and hoping to make it up in volume) for the companies below.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:01 PM   #40
oliversl
macrumors 6502a

Summary: every single mayor Phone vendor, had its profit declined in the last quarter, but not Apple.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:21 PM   #41
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
You're not selling a device. You're selling User Experience and the ecosystem that's built around it.

The competition has yet to learn this.
Is the message bug part of that user experience that the competition has yet to learn?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1318251
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:23 PM   #42
kdarling
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversl View Post
Summary: every single mayor Phone vendor, had its profit declined in the last quarter, but not Apple.
Samsung's profit increased as well.

That's the trouble with share charts like this one; they're relative instead of showing actual amounts.
kdarling is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:34 PM   #43
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Is the message bug part of that user experience that the competition has yet to learn?
Maybe you missed this part of the story:

Quote:
This was an extremely rare situation that occurred when a retail employee did not follow the correct service procedure and used their personal SIM to help a customer who did not have a working SIM," Apple representative Natalie Harrison told The Loop. "This resulted in a temporary situation that has since been resolved by the employee.
You can probably get ANY machine to malfunction if you try hard enough, even an iPhone. And the several hundred thousand people who buy iPhones every day don't seem to be concerned (with good reason) about accidentally putting someone else's SIM card in their phones.

On the other hand, I see its taken Google almost three years to finally do something to help rid its Marketplace of malware.

So: One iPhone user gets some weird messages after a store employee disregarded procedure, while five million Android users get infected with Counterclank.

Same thing, right?
vrDrew is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:40 PM   #44
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1318251
Not quite a showstopper, now is it. It certainly won't make anyone trade in their Apple device.

The competition's problems run far deeper than a bug or two.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:41 PM   #45
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post

That's the trouble with share charts like this one; they're relative instead of showing actual amounts.
They also ignore overall market growth. They play to the silly notion for someone to win others must lose.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:42 PM   #46
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post

Apple's profits were actually massive. That better?
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:42 PM   #47
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Not quite a showstopper, now is it. It certainly won't make anyone trade in their Apple device.

The competition's problems run far deeper than a bug or two.
What are Samsung's problems?
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:44 PM   #48
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
What are Samsung's problems?
Android. Mitigated somewhat by going in Apple's direction. Do note that the only really successful OEM has chosen to approach a more vertical business model.

Unfortunately, Android on tablets, however, is proving to be a failure.
*LTD* is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 06:29 PM   #49
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
Yes, speaking as someone who's used Symbian since the Nokia 6600 before moving to iOS, Symbian is utterly, utterly terrible.
Which makes one wonder why didn't Nokia go after Palm's WebOS? That one had some real potential.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:35 PM   #50
marksman
Banned

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nothing short of amazing.
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion