Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Well that is an UGLY Ferrari, and those are words that are seldom used together.:eek:

Yes, I'ts weird, but Montezemolo for the past three years has been saying that it doesn't matter if the car is ugly as long as it wins races. For the first time he has been pleased (with the ugly car bit, at least)

I think that if you look it from the front it's very aggressive with that "big mouth":

undated-unlocated-handout-image-released-20120203-021645-720.jpg

I suspect Ferrari's will work better though. :)

let's hope so :)

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Force-India-VJM05-8_2712239.jpg

bucktoothed?
1328261344.jpg

imho, the ferrari is better looking than the Caterham.

But the McClaren has it all over anyone so far...

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
bucktoothed?
imho, the ferrari is better looking than the Caterham.

But the McClaren has it all over anyone so far...

I think the acid test is gonna be what the Red Bull looks like. I do wonder whether a novel concept like Williams's walrus nose could be reworked to fit into the new regulations.

Link

Attachments

• 2004-BMW-WilliamsF1-FW26-FA-1600x1200.jpg
    2004-BMW-WilliamsF1-FW26-FA-1600x1200.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Must say, they're all very odd looking so far, except the McLaren (which looks fantastic). Here's hoping it goes as good as it looks...and the Ferraris and Caterhams go the same...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The Williams or the Ferrari?

All of the above. The cars don't look so bad when seen from above, but the profile with the nose is not attractive, to say the least. They are still a fast as a scalded cat, mind you. Though which is fastest remains to be seen.

therealjustin

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
The Walrus was pretty cool actually, the big drooping schnoz is not.

It makes the other teams look as though they didn't even try to figure out a way around the new regulations. McLaren had it figured out TWO YEARS AGO. Ferrari I'm talking to you.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The Walrus was pretty cool actually, the big drooping schnoz is not.

It makes the other teams look as though they didn't even try to figure out a way around the new regulations. McLaren had it figured out TWO YEARS AGO. Ferrari I'm talking to you.

agreed. it seems obvious to me... but who knows...

by "obvious" i meant figure out a way around it too...

if i were a car designer i'm certain my first attempt at designing with these regs would have been pretty much the same, the "bumped" or "roman' nose...

300px-Class_I_nose.svg.png

Last edited:

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I have to decide whether to go visit my brother who lives in Austin or not. I still suspect the race might not actually go ahead...
i will try to go, i think they are going to be fine and the race will be great.:D
Have any family in New Jersey for a 2013 visit?
live i NYC, so it's a no-brainer, but this i will believe when i see it
Mecca's are clearly the better looking ones so far, but isn't it because they are behind in the design approach rather than ahead? it looks like last year's car.

the platypus bills look horrible (caterham by far the worst, IMO; i think the ferrari pays the color scheme that highlights instead of hiding it), but it must clearly provide clear advantages over a continuos sloping nose, as it must something all team must have played with.

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Gosh, ugly Caterham and Ferrari. :eek:

And I thought the tusk-nosed Williams many years back (in the V10 era) was bad. These two are easily worse.

Edit: Add the black and gold Lotus (or whatever it is called now) to the ugly list too. :( In the past, we had the era of the ridiculous 'tea-pot' airboxes, now we have the era of the stepped noses on the cars.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Gosh, ugly Caterham and Ferrari. :eek:

And I thought the tusk-nosed Williams many years back (in the V10 era) was bad. These two are easily worse.

Edit: Add the black and gold Lotus (or whatever it is called now) to the ugly list too. :( In the past, we had the era of the ridiculous 'tea-pot' airboxes, now we have the era of the stepped noses on the cars.

u were wrong about that williams though... tre chic.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It's interesting that people think McLaren are, perhaps, behind the curve here because their car doesn't look like it's already been in an accident. The McLaren was very low last year (nose and chassis) so has required the least amount of change to meet the current regs. Consistency is normally a good thing so I'd not be surprised if their car is every bit as fast as it was at the end of last season.

Sauber also have a stepped nose:

1328522870.jpg

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
It's interesting that people think McLaren are, perhaps, behind the curve here because their car doesn't look like it's already been in an accident. The McLaren was very low last year (nose and chassis) so has required the least amount of change to meet the current regs. Consistency is normally a good thing so I'd not be surprised if their car is every bit as fast as it was at the end of last season.

Sauber also have a stepped nose:

i don't think folks are saying they are behind the curve. i, for one, think they have figured out the new rules better.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The air "intake" in the nose break is causing quite a bit of discussion. Although Sauber got there first with their car that was relieved this morning which appears to have a vent on the backside of the hump.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
The air "intake" in the nose break is causing quite a bit of discussion. Although Sauber got there first with their car that was relieved this morning which appears to have a vent on the backside of the hump.

i hadn't noticed.
Wow, that's exactly what i was thinking yesterday of what would be an optimal solution. the air gois in and the top air remain clean.
i wonder if the air is channelled all the way to the back or just downward to the bottom of the car. the latter would be great i think, because it could make the fron part of the nose to basically work like a wing to increase downforce, but i am not sure because it would have to 'break' the safety box.

they should have kept it 'plugged' until day one of testing :D

i am sure a lot of team will follow if they can. that might not be easy if they have structural parts just behind the vane (like ferrari seems to have)

meccas easily the best looking ones, the other all ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.