Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Wrong forum?
Nope, right forum. My posts were relevant to the actual topic, which is iTunes Match screwing up songs on a Mac and iPhone. Others tried to drag Windows and Android into it. In response, I pointed out that the problem is restricted to Apple, and other devices I own have not suffered such issues.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Its safe to say this has been a really bad week for Apple.

Lion upgrade that breaks a lot of machines.
Snow Leopard upgrade that breaks a lot of software.
A lot of coverage on serious iMessenger glitch.
Patent losses preventing sales of certain devices in Germany.
Patent losses that may affect email and icloud ability in Germany.
And Match playbreak breaking down.

Most of these are the sort of issues that would basically be the 'weekly thing' - but now they've all decided to show up all at once in the span of a mere two days.

chitopgear

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Explicit to edited?

Has anyone else experienced iTunes Match converting what were once explicit lyrics from their CDs to the edited versions?

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
whats up with all the screw ups lately!!!

first the lion update, next the SL security update and now this....

what happened to "it just works".... no it doesn't!

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
iTunes Match also replaces album versions of songs with live concert recordings... not just swapping clean and explicit versions. It's really annoying.

I should add that it's happening only on my Mac and iPhone, so wrong answer about "windows problem" excuse.

That's weird, I have around 10,000 songs worth of live bootlegs of several bands. all of them were uploaded, and not matched with and iTunes studio version.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
That's weird, I have around 10,000 songs worth of live bootlegs of several bands. all of them were uploaded, and not matched with and iTunes studio version.
That makes sense, though. Bootlegged live concerts are sonically unique, and don't exist on iTunes, so uploaded songs don't get swapped. I'm talking about songs in the middle of an album that suddenly get swapped with a live version of a song instead of the song that was released on the album being played. So, you're listening to Radiohead or whatever, and suddenly the album is interrupted by millions of screaming fans in a live recording of the next track, instead of the studio track that was supposed to play.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
That makes sense, though. Bootlegged live concerts are sonically unique, and don't exist on iTunes, so uploaded songs don't get swapped. I'm talking about songs in the middle of an album that suddenly get swapped with a live version of a song instead of the song that was released on the album being played. So, you're listening to Radiohead or whatever, and suddenly the album is interrupted by millions of screaming fans in a live recording of the next track, instead of the studio track that was supposed to play.

Ok got it, hasn't happened to me either, but yeah can imagine that's really annoying. So far all my studio tracks have been replaced by the proper studio track if matched.

BTW I have suffered of the mentioned download problem in the main post, when I created the smart playlist to replace with the iTunes versions a couple of months back. It is really annoying and a handful of songs I wasn't able to download until a few days later, they gave me an error every time.

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

The thing that really needs to be fixed is the ghost tracks that are left on te device after the downloaded iTunes Match songs have been deleted. If you download the songs again, you get duplicate songs, some there and some are not. It's annoying and after a while, it takes up space.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
what happened to "it just works".... no it doesn't!

Sadly, it would seem like this is a mantra that is destined to be consigned to the annals of history.

I'm increasingly losing confidence in Apple the more time marches on, and it has to be said that the main cause of this is their collective online services. From my perspective at least, it would seem that everything that Eddy Cue touches is slated to go wrong. There isn't a single online service of Apple's that hasn't caused me major headaches over the past 6 months. Couple this with Apple's increasingly frustrating policy of refusing to openly acknowledge any software issues until they are addressed, and I'm left feeling that I simply cannot trust them any more.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I have a suggestion for Apple. Don't forsake even "old" customers with 2-3 year old hardware. just because something is beyond the 1 year warranty period or the 2-3 year Apple Care period, does NOT mean you should stop supporting it.

Apple hardware lasts longer and is in service longer than comparable Wintel stuff precisely because the OS is efficient. As such, please support systems 7 years old or more for "compatibility, services, and security" and only limit your other support for features and hardware compatibility.

I agree that support should be longer (and I also think that "support" means actively testing for regressions in updates - not just dealing with "OMG moments" when crap ships that breaks existing systems).

A couple of points, though, are more urban legend than fact.

Point 1:

"Apple hardware lasts longer"

Do you have any support for this idea? It seems that the number of Windows XP systems still running kind of weakens the argument (in spite of the general trend that more expensive systems tend to last longer - but lots of cheap Windows systems were sold).

Apples are built from the same components as other PCs, often by the same manufacturers.

Point 2:

"the OS is efficient"

Again, where's the support for this claim? It seems that every story about a new MBA has a lot of posts about "please put 8 GiB of RAM in it".

Windows 7 runs fine on lots of really old systems, subject to the obvious
  • the standard memory in a 2006 system isn't adequate, you'll need to pay $20 or so to upgrade (note that a 2006 Core 2 Duo Imac came with 512 MiB of RAM...)
  • just like with Apple OSX, some low end 2006 graphics cards can't run all of the eye candy, and run without effects

The case was a bit different with Vista, of course. When it was released it was fine on new systems (dual-core, 1 GiB or more, good graphics). Older systems, though, struggled because of memory, CPU and GPU issues. Win7 went on a diet, and was released a few years later when the average system was more powerful.

Last edited:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
What's with all the problems with Apple lately.. First the 10.7.3 issues, security update that kills apps using Rosetta, iBook Textbooks not opening & now Match songs inaccessible..

Not like Apple..

Last edited:

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

These were in Beta for weeks and/or months, shouldn't the developers be catching some of these issues? I'm not trying to sound like I'm attacking them but isn't that the whole point of releasing Betas?

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I think it's amazing that it works as well as it does, but the issue is that when it doesn't work, it's really annoying. I could say, "Well, 98% of the time, it works every time." The thing is, when you settle into an album or listening experience, the point is to enjoy the music. When you suddenly hear something that isn't right, like a horn blast instead of a cuss word, or screaming fans instead of a studio track, it ruins the experience. I personally dislike most live recordings of songs. I'd rather be at the concert, thanks.

Some have had clean versions replaced with explicit versions. I don't have any clean versions of songs, so I won't have that problem, but that would really suck for say a mother and her kids, or maybe you're jamming at a work party and the boss is super-anti-profanity or something. When these problems happen, it can be pretty embarrassing, even only once in a million tracks.

I don't know how iTunes Match determines which tracks to match when there are multiple versions, but the fact that a live track can be replaced with a studio track means it's not solely based on the sonic fingerprint. It's been reported that sometimes it can mismatch if the track is a second longer than the version on iTunes, and cutting off one second can fix it. Whatever magic mojo they use to identify tracks, it's not perfect, and as long as that is the case, it will give plenty of people a poor experience. I find a messed up track either every time or every other time I play music on my iPhone, and that is way too often for me. In the meantime, I have resorted to just using my iPod or my Android, which has my tracks streaming from Audiogalaxy. So far, they haven't messed up yet, knock on wood.

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
for me, match is super buggy. it streams fine on both my laptops but on my iPad and iPhone, it always lags out and just stops working -- even on wifi and/or show only downloaded songs.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
So where are all the Cloud loyalists now? Yeah, you know, the ones who said there is no advantage to actually having a tangible object in your hands.

Ha ha. Problems like this will exist forever on any kind of intangible platform...not to mention the dozens of other "account problems" from a "service provider" instead of physical, tangible medium.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
Apple hardware lasts longer and is in service longer than comparable Wintel stuff precisely because the OS is efficient. As such, please support systems 7 years old or more for "compatibility, services, and security" and only limit your other support for features and hardware compatibility.

Here we go again.

1)Has nothing to do with this thread

2)Has no factual information/data to prove a single "point" you made

Why don't you hop over to one of the millions of "PC vs. Mac" discussions somewhere on this website and throw your opinions out as fact.

Jeeeeeeeeez.

Wordslinger29

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
I ditched iTunes Match for Google Music and haven't looked back. I've been using Apple products for years and have never had such a bad experience.

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US

Where exactly did you get these tracks and what format are they in?

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Where exactly did you get these tracks and what format are they in?
They were imported from the CDs I bought as mp3. When I find a messed up track, I try re-importing the CD as AAC, and it still happens. I just make sure not to play it remotely, since the track played on the Mac holding the track in iTunes is correct... only the iCloud "matched" version is incorrect. This blows, since I use my iPhone as my media source in the car or otherwise away from the computer. No longer. Now I use my iPod, or I can use my Android or my iPhone if I use Audiogalaxy, since they both have that app... so long as I avoid using the tracks stored in iCloud via iTunes Match.

OneOkami

Nov 8, 2011
Fortunately I'm not affected. My iPhone is streaming uploaded music as I type this, however, a coworker was having trouble accessing some of this music earlier so I'm wondering if this is related. In any case, this is why I do and always will keep a local backup of everything and partially why I still use my iPod Touch.

ArchiTexTerry

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
South Florida
Epic Fail...

I am a fanboy of Apple, and signed up for match as soon as the service was available...no problems uploading and matching, but trying to listen to the songs in the cloud only works maybe 20% of the time.

I have tried from my iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, my PC, and an old HP Laptop, and it fails on every device. I have tried on all types of WiFi networks, some busy and some where I was the only person on the Wifi network, and in all cases, the streaming form the cloud fails...and if it does start playing the song, it only plays fIve seconds and then skips to the next song.

I would tell everyone to avoid it because the support is non-existent, and it may never work as advertised.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I have FiOS and all my Apple products stream from iCloud flawlessly. I have to suspect this is a more of an Internet issue for those with poor service such those with contention ratios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.