Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How mane YES did you answer?

• One

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Two

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Three

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • More than three

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don't drink

Votes: 23 28.4%

• Total voters

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
NOTE: The poll is about the test I link in the next paragraph, NOT the number of drinks you have.

I don't really consider myself an alcoholic. But after taking this test Test, which I saw is very similar to the ones of the AA, they definitely think I'm an alcoholic!:eek:

Now, I don't consider myself as one (I know, all say this), and I think the test is far from being something to worry about or take too seriously (I mean, the questions 19, 20, 36, 37, 38?)

As for me, I usually drink the weekends and tuesdays with friends. I rarely drink alone (at least I've never got drunk alone). I do drink more than what is "normal" sometimes, specially when going out to a bar/club, but I almost never pass out or have blackouts. I've have them, specially when I was younger (16-20), but now (24) they are rare. Last one was more than 8 months ago.

Anyways, I was curious if I'm more in the normal side or in the "drink more than normal" side. As for the test, I had 5 YES.

Last edited:

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I haven't tried alcohol yet - I'm 37 and will keep getting high on music and macs instead.... drugs sux!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What? You can get drunk without getting a black-out :eek: Has the Hell froze over? :p

I got five YESs, the same ones as you mentioned. To be honest, I don't know a person that could answer NO to those five questions, not even my relatives.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I got 3 yes answers. 38 seems like a trick question.. I always feel remorseful when I'm hungover, but it fades as the hangover goes away :p

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
What? You can get drunk without getting a black-out :eek: Has the Hell froze over? :p

I got five YESs, the same ones as you mentioned. To be honest, I don't know a person that could answer NO to those five questions, not even my relatives.

:)

Yes, even more, I think that most people answers yes to that questions quite regularly when they are young (high school, college).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That's a real test....? Oh dear, we are all going to be alcoholics I think. I got 2 yes answers. Thing is I can't drink much due to medication I take, so the test really doesn't have a section for that. "Hic" :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I don't drink at all, though I used to way way too much.

I don't buy this whole "once an alcoholic always an alcoholic" thing. It was just a thing I did, I no longer crave alcohol and if I chose to drink again I'm certain I'd do it responsibly.

You've just got to honestly look at yourself and consider whether it's worth it to you, if it's not? Stop.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I do not drink either. As maflynn stated, you forgot the option of none.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
No offense, but that test is ridiculous.

Here's the problem: quite a lot of those questions require a kind of brutal honesty and self-awareness that alcoholics in the throes of the disease just generally don't have. "Is drinking affecting/jeopardizing/causing ______?" is a subjective question that is easily marred by denial or simple ignorance. One of the core mantras of any addict is "I can handle it." On that simple fact alone, this test is indicative of diddly-squat.

That said, I actually have alcoholic tendencies (it runs in my family, and my maternal granddad was for all intents and purposes a drunkard for a significant portion of his life) and if I truly answer those questions honestly, I score well over 5 "yes" responses. I quit the test after that because of the silliness of the questions as mentioned above.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
That test is awesome. Literally EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNOW is an alcoholic. LITERALLY 100% of the hundreds of people that I know as more than an acquaintance... EVERY person I was friends with in college, every coworker who I actually know anything about, etc.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I answered 0 questions "yes".

I drink for taste, not effect. In fact, if I feel effect, I stop.

At most, I have 1-2 drinks at any time. I usually drink single malt scotch, and the damned stuff is too expensive to drink more!!

There is a question I used to ask patients to evaluate whether drinking was problematic. I asked "how do you drink, when you drink?"

Many folks rationalize problematic drinking patterns by saying they don't drink every day. The frequency of drinking is not really the point. One can drink daily, but if that is one or two measured drink (one 12 oz. beer, 4-5 oz of wine, 11/2 oz. of hard stuff), that does not constitute a problem. If one drinks less frequently, say 3-4 times a month, but gets drunk whenever they drink, that constitutes good evidence of a drinking problem - or at least one in the making.

The issue is how you drink, when you drink.

A quick comment on AA. I do not doubt for a moment that AA has saved millions of lives over the years - both the drinker's and their loved one's. However, the quality of their "research" is questionable from a scientific perspective. As valuable as they are, their rigidly doctrinaire approach, while helpful for many, is not the only form of intervention, nor are their definitions the only reasonable and tenable ways of looking at problematic drinking.

I do not mean any offense for those who employ, and benefit from, the AA approach - that is wonderful. But it is not the be all and end all.

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Many of those questions seem apt for an alcoholic. Some are just ridiculous,

37. Have you ever felt, when or after drinking, an inability to concentrate?
38. Have you ever felt "remorse" after drinking?

If you've ever had more than two drinks in an hour you'll have a lower ability to concentrate. If you've ever spent the night drinking with friends you'll likely feel some remorse in the morning from the hangover. Going by this anyone that ever got drunk when they turned 21, at a bachelor party, &c is likely an alcoholic.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
just so you know, American beer is like 1/3 of a drink.

you guys even have "ultra" light

lol

May 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I haven't tried alcohol yet - I'm 37 and will keep getting high on music and macs instead.... drugs sux!

You forgot an option.

None.

I don't drink

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I do not drink either. As maflynn stated, you forgot the option of none.

I don't drink. I choose not to. It's more fun watching everyone else get smashed off their faces and embarrass themselves. :D

I don't think the test, and thus the basis for the thread, is for you then. ;)

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
just so you know, American beer is like 1/3 of a drink.

you guys even have "ultra" light

lol

Just so you know, there are drinks other than beer. And quite a lot of "badass superstrong He-Man German beer" is available in the United States. (Besides the fact that there are plenty of American boutique brews that are 9-10% ABV) :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't drink. My girlfriend doesn't because of the flavour, I don't because I don't enjoy it.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I don't drink at all, though I used to way way too much.

I don't buy this whole "once an alcoholic always an alcoholic" thing. It was just a thing I did, I no longer crave alcohol and if I chose to drink again I'm certain I'd do it responsibly.

You've just got to honestly look at yourself and consider whether it's worth it to you, if it's not? Stop.

I kind of agree with you. Tho I do think there is a point were you are too mentally dependent in alcohol that you need help to overcome the dependency.

I think age also has a great importance. When in high school (at least for us in countries were you can drink at 18yo, tho, I think we most start drinking younger still) / college, you have less responsibilities and don't think so much about your actions. Add in social pressure and the fact that alcohol is quite fun while it lasts, and most people that age fall within "alcoholics". The real importance it to be able to stop it once you start having more responsibilities (job, marriage, etc.), so it doesn't interfere with your life.

And maybe medics here can correct me, but I think the younger you are, the easier it is for your body and mind to overcome a dependency.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Just so you know, there are drinks other than beer. And quite a lot of "badass superstrong He-Man German beer" is available in the United States. (Besides the fact that there are plenty of American boutique brews that are 9-10% ABV) :rolleyes:

I think American microbrews are extremely tasty, on a global scale.

I always joke that some of the best beer on the planet exists there, but the average person in inundated with bud/miller/coors light commercials that most of the beer drunk in the states, per capita, is of really poor quality, which is quite the shame, is it not?

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I think American microbrews are extremely tasty, on a global scale.

I always joke that some of the best beer on the planet exists there, but the average person in inundated with bud/miller/coors light commercials that most of the beer drunk in the states, per capita, is of really poor quality, which is quite the shame, is it not?

I think US has Samuel Adams, which is a commercial brand that has some good beers. Might not compete with european beers, but it is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.