Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Have searched everywhere but can't find anyone reporting problems running C&C3 with Lion - has anyone got this running OK?

I have the latest patches (to 1.09) but it fails to get past the screen going to black stage. Would love to get this running again so if anyone has suggestions it would be appreciated.

Thanks all,

michaelmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Really miss playing this game - would be good to know if anyone is actually still playing using Lion. At least I can then look at my system to see if it is me!

kylepohsib

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
Same Issue

My Command and Conquer 3 also does not load it gets to the loading screen and stays there forever. :(

michaelmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Looks like we may have seen the end of use for this great game - there are a few other reports out there on other sites saying the same thing.

Would be good to know if anyone has a working copy right now - must be someone as C&C was quite popular and it is not as if it is that old.

kylepohsib

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
Solved!

1. Open Disk Utility.
2. Click on your Hard Drive from the window on the left.
3. Click the partition tab.
4. Click the little plus sign on the bottom left of the partition layout and create a second partition then name it Snow Leopard or Leopard depending on which one you own.
5. Pull the divider bar up or down to change the size of the new partition to your choice.
6. Click Apply this may take awhile depending on the size you created don't worry it didn't freeze
7. Restart your Mac and hold the option key down during bootup until you see a menu appear.
8. Insert your Leopard DVD or Snow Leopard DVD and wait for it to appear on the list then double click it.
9. Now install that Disc on your new partition you created and install Command and Conquer again and it will work.
10. Also to boot to the other operating system again hold option at startup and choose it anytime you want.

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
1. Open Disk Utility.
2. Click on your Hard Drive from the window on the left.
3. Click the partition tab.
4. Click the little plus sign on the bottom left of the partition layout and create a second partition then name it Snow Leopard or Leopard depending on which one you own.
5. Pull the divider bar up or down to change the size of the new partition to your choice.
6. Click Apply this may take awhile depending on the size you created don't worry it didn't freeze
7. Restart your Mac and hold the option key down during bootup until you see a menu appear.
8. Insert your Leopard DVD or Snow Leopard DVD and wait for it to appear on the list then double click it.
9. Now install that Disc on your new partition you created and install Command and Conquer again and it will work.
10. Also to boot to the other operating system again hold option at startup and choose it anytime you want.

A good solution, but installing Snow Leopard on a new partition to play this game is not the same as playing it in Lion.

I am talking with EA support about this - their first email was of course the standard stock "fixes", none of which work. If they reply with a true "fix" I will post it here

Y-Guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
Washigton State
I am talking with EA support about this - their first email was of course the standard stock "fixes", none of which work. If they reply with a true "fix" I will post it here

Just curious if you ever heard anything from EA about this? My guess is no, and it's a dead issue but still curious.

inana

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Have searched everywhere but can't find anyone reporting problems running C&C3 with Lion - has anyone got this running OK?

I have the latest patches (to 1.09) but it fails to get past the screen going to black stage. Would love to get this running again so if anyone has suggestions it would be appreciated.

Thanks all,

Hiya, I have an imac running Lion and it works, BUt, its temperamental, it usually works first time, but if i close the game and try to open it again, then the system hangs and eventually i have to force shutdown the system and reboot.

My system:

iMac
24-inch Mid 2007
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Hiya, I have an imac running Lion and it works, BUt, its temperamental, it usually works first time, but if i close the game and try to open it again, then the system hangs and eventually i have to force shutdown the system and reboot.

My system:

iMac
24-inch Mid 2007
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Maybe it is differences in the Graphics cards - my iMac is a Mid- 2011 with the AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
C&C 3 worked for me in Lion as long as I freshly restarted.

However, it is not working for me in Mountain Lion. It'll start up and get to the menu, but it is glitchy the entire time and unplayable this way.

Anyone able to play it in Mountain Lion?

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I'm getting an issue also.

The screen flashes when I start C&C3.

this is the only game I play and I need it to work!

C&C 3 worked for me in Lion as long as I freshly restarted.

However, it is not working for me in Mountain Lion. It'll start up and get to the menu, but it is glitchy the entire time and unplayable this way.

Anyone able to play it in Mountain Lion?

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
I'm getting an issue also.

The screen flashes when I start C&C3.

this is the only game I play and I need it to work!

Yeah, it's super flashy the entire time even though it starts up fully.

It's the only PC/Mac game I play, too! I'd play Red Alert 3, but those Top Secret Protocols really get on my nerves during a skirmish. I wish they were optional just like superweapons are in the other games.

I guess I'll just go ahead and install Snow Leopard on an external since there are some older games I'd like to play that require Rosetta. And I'll have to find my copy of Generals!

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Yeah, it's super flashy the entire time even though it starts up fully.

It's the only PC/Mac game I play, too! I'd play Red Alert 3, but those Top Secret Protocols really get on my nerves during a skirmish. I wish they were optional just like superweapons are in the other games.

I guess I'll just go ahead and install Snow Leopard on an external since there are some older games I'd like to play that require Rosetta. And I'll have to find my copy of Generals!

Yea, totally agree RA3 isn't as awesome as C&C 3. I really hope we can find a fix for mountain lion.

An interesting note. Generals works perfectly in ML. Would love a way to play it without having to carry the DVD around though, but that's another story.

Palstro

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Hi guys,
There's a fix for the screen flickering issue here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1412574/

If you're getting a bouncing icon on the dock or the game refusing to start, this fix often works:

1. Open up settings
2. Go to 'Security and Privacy'
3. Change 'Allow Applications Downloaded From' to 'Anywhere'

You only have to do this the first time you start the game. This works for Red Alert 3 as well.

I hope this works for some of you!

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Hi guys,
There's a fix for the screen flickering issue here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1412574/

If you're getting a bouncing icon on the dock or the game refusing to start, this fix often works:

1. Open up settings
2. Go to 'Security and Privacy'
3. Change 'Allow Applications Downloaded From' to 'Anywhere'

You only have to do this the first time you start the game. This works for Red Alert 3 as well.

I hope this works for some of you!

Nope - I tried this (I have the CD version). Putting the disk in it does nothing. If I start the Game and hit play the load screen comes up and just sits there, uses quite a bit of CPU and finally if I check the Dock Icon it says not responding :-(

Palstro

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Bah. Sorry it didn't help you Macpeach.

To be honest, I downloaded it on a torrent and used my purchased license key with it. I'm running it on a late 2011 MacBook Air so I have no DVD drive!

Palstro

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Yeah, it's always better to play 'in situ'. It'd be nice if Kane's Wrath was made native too.

I don't suppose you play online? I just started. I'm a total amateur but you know... If you wanna kick someone's butt, let me know.

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Yeah, it's always better to play 'in situ'. It'd be nice if Kane's Wrath was made native too.

I don't suppose you play online? I just started. I'm a total amateur but you know... If you wanna kick someone's butt, let me know.

Afraid I don't play online - my business means I have little breaks which can be interrupted, so skirmishes on C&C 3 are/were one of my favourites!

JamesBarnsley

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2013
A good solution, but installing Snow Leopard on a new partition to play this game is not the same as playing it in Lion.

I have this exact same problem now however mine use to work. But I cannot remember if it only worked when I had a previous version of OS.

Anyways it does not work now and the exact same thing happens on mine.

I thought it could be CD Drive.

Anyone found the solution?

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
I have this exact same problem now however mine use to work. But I cannot remember if it only worked when I had a previous version of OS.

Anyways it does not work now and the exact same thing happens on mine.

I thought it could be CD Drive.

Anyone found the solution?

No, no solution. the Game has never been updated. I have sold mine on, and the person who bought it could only get it to work on one out of two Snow Leopard machines, so maybe even some SL updates don't work with it, who knows?

Barmy

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I had the same problem with this game, all of which you guys have described. However after a real ballache which involved copying files from a Windows version I had (it's not a native port, just cider wrapped), I've got it working on Mid-2012 MacBook Pro without any online problems, graphics problems or crashing problems.

What I did took weeks to do and I don't have the memory to backtrack everything. Therefore what I'd like to do is upload it as a private torrent and email people the torrent file.

Mods, PLEASE can you let me know if this is acceptable? I've been in trouble before for breaking the forum rules with torrents, but EA are a crap company and they've stopped support of this. I want to share this great game with other members of MR and all I can think of doing is uploading the .app file to do this.

If you guys could also PM me I'll be happy to zip up the app and email you, or whatever. I don't know, I can just tell you my copy works after weeks of ballache and I sincerely hope it works for you as well, so it can't hurt if I share it with you.

Please flag/quote this so mods can let us know what would be acceptable.

EDIT: mid 2012 MBP, 650M, OS X 10.8

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Mods, if this is inappropriate then PLEASE let me know before you delete my comment. I'm quoting everyone so they'll get this. Please note EA have stopped developing this a long time ago so it's abandonware.

View attachment C&C 3.torrent.zip

I've done a non-public torrent (zipped up my worked version, it's 1.09 and works fine on my Mac), so it's a case of extracting, dragging to Applications and running. If you start by extracting the torrent file first and then running that, MacRumours won't accept torrent files as a valid upload. I'm doing this because I REALLY hope it works for you guys. Please, please try -- it was such a PITA for me to get it working that I hope I can save you the hassle.

Please quote/PM me and let me know if it works.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Incidentally, if any of you have issues with it immediately crashing once opening through Applications, just type the following command into Terminal:

chmod 755 /Applications/Command\ and\ Conquer\ 3.app/Contents/Resources/Command\ and\ Conquer\ 3.app

and do that for any other relevant files in the package -- I'm sure others will have a better idea of what files need 'chmod' applied to! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.