Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung aired another of its series of Apple-mocking commercials during the 2012 Super Bowl tonight. In this ad, Samsung is pushing the new Samsung Galaxy Note.

Like the previous ads in the series, Samsung depicts iPhone fans standing in line for the new iPhone, while promoting their own products as the "next big thing".

Samsung's head of marketing has acknowledged she is directly targeting Apple and shooting to reach a more emotional connection with their consumers.
"Especially in U.S., people are obsessed with Apple," Lee said, in a lengthy interview at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this month. "It's time to change people's attention."
The Samsung Galaxy Note that is depicted in the commercial is a 5.3" device which also comes with a stylus. Steve Jobs is famously quoted as saying "if you see a stylus, they blew it."

Article Link: Samsung Continues to Poke Fun at Apple Fans in Super Bowl Ad

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Shame they spent all that money in a superbowl ad that was stupid.
at the end of the day, people won't stop buying iphones because it's "an iphone"

phd

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Vancouver Island
My girlfriend signed up for a new cable service and got a Galaxy 10.1 tab. I have to admit.. it's a total train wreck.. Garbage.
I'll be picking up the next iPad. :D

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Why are they so obsessed with this waiting in line thing? I stood in line three years in a row to get my iPhone. Won't do it again but I don't regret doing it in the past.

I see nothing in the ad that makes me want to buy that Samsung phone.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
It must be a horrible feeling when your primary competitor is the only one with products people are willing to wait in line for.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I can't believe they used a stylus as a selling point...

You should look at the note. It is something that combines a tablet and a phone.

One of the biggest short comings of tablets right now is the lack of being able to use a stylus. For many things I would love to have one. Big time for taking notes or writing things down. In those things a stylus is just by far better. For basic navigation yeah the finger is great.

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The ad tries way too hard. I feel sorry for it.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ha! I'm sure Samsung would love to believe in this reality. I am also sure Samsung poking fun at the Apple customers would totally win them over :rolleyes:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That Samsung ad was bizarre. Advertising that their phone comes with a stylus was completely inexplicable. Any Apple "fanboy" knows that a stylus is a "fail." And any non-fanboy who owns an iPhone is likely to be a little bit insulted by being called one for owning an Apple phone.

Anyway, I'm sure Samsung would love to have the lines that Apple attracts.

punkromance

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
Well, this advert was such a let down. The one for the Galaxy S2 or whatever it's called was a lot better, cleverly playing on stereotypes and generally being pretty damn funny about the whole thing.

This is just 'look how many famous people we can cram into a cheesy feel-good advert'.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Apple ads are the best because they show the actual product working, not some people dancing saying how "cool" it is.

The only thing I saw in this ad is a stylus (seriously?) and a FaceTime rip-off.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
It was so over the top, that the message was lost in a sea of WTF-ness.

Apple still wins, as anyone who saw how many iPhones the Giants players had, when the Lombardi trophy was being carried up to the celebratory booth will testify. :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Apple ads are the best because they show the actual product working, not some people dancing saying how "cool" it is.

The only thing I saw in this ad is a stylus (seriously?) and a FaceTime rip-off.

Just going to point out FaceTime rip off of other products. Android already had video chatting before facetime. Just figure I would point that out to you.

noripwr

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
You should look at the note. It is something that combines a tablet and a phone.

One of the biggest short comings of tablets right now is the lack of being able to use a stylus. For many things I would love to have one. Big time for taking notes or writing things down. In those things a stylus is just by far better. For basic navigation yeah the finger is great.

Curious. What happens if I'm writing on the tablet with a stylus and my palm or finger is also touching the screen?

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Samsung is jealous that no one will stand in line for days for one of their products..... Not that I ever stood in line for an Apple product either....

I did get up at 3:30 am to order iPad 2 online though...

noripwr

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Just going to point out FaceTime rip off of other products. Android already had video chatting before facetime. Just figure I would point that out to you.

I think everyone knows that already, but I suppose the rip off is because the UI during the ad looked so much like something Apple would've done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.