Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Out of the 606 PSP titles available digitally through Japan's PlayStation Store, 262 of them qualify as UMD Passport titles. Content from key publishers like Square Enix, Namco Bandai, Konami and Capcom is notably absent from the list.

Mistype! Few publishers. But it's certainly not "all your PSP games".

tried playing bf3 campaign mode via remote play using a 3.55 ps3.... stunning...
Wouldn't that be laggy? Remote Play I always thought an amazing concept but was a lag filled, near unplayable experience.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
dont worry from what i have seen sony are going to release a program called UMD passport. this will allow you to transfer all your psp games to your pc and then onto your vita through the content manger that is on all vitas....

when i log in to my jap psn account on my vita there an icon for umd passport so it coming...

by the way if wipeout 2048 is not on your list and you get chance to try it before launch...do it... its is simply amazing....

i have been blown away since i got my vita before christmas and creating a jap psn account has let me download about 5 jap vita demos... brilliant...

best handheld i have ever owned, and i have had a few....

That programme hasn't been announced for outside Japan and very likely won't be. At the very least there is no guarantee of that.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Anyone else put down an online pre-order? I was going to order mine through GAME, they usually have a good track record of delivering on time, or in rare cases a day early.

I'm thinking of their WiFi Vita + 4GB memory card + Uncharted bundle, then adding in a 16GB memory card. With their pricing structure, it's the same as buying the Vita + Game + 16GB memory card individually, i.e. you get a free 4GB memory card :p

edit: Amazon UK had a better offer. If you pre-order you get a free 8GB memory card and a selected game for £15. Lumines would be my pick of the lot, then if I add in Uncharted that still works out less then GAME. You lose the pre-order gift that GAME offer though, but I can live without :p

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Anyone else put down an online pre-order? I was going to order mine through GAME, they usually have a good track record of delivering on time, or in rare cases a day early.

I'm thinking of their WiFi Vita + 4GB memory card + Uncharted bundle, then adding in a 16GB memory card. With their pricing structure, it's the same as buying the Vita + Game + 16GB memory card individually, i.e. you get a free 4GB memory card :p

User accounts are tied to memory sticks and systems though. So you can't use that 4gb card as you would a spare PSP memory card. Hopefully they address that!

Word of warning about Game. They take more preorders than stock so even if you preorder you'll need to get there early to pick it up (or have preordered online earlier).

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

edit: Amazon UK had a better offer. If you pre-order you get a free 8GB memory card and a selected game for £15. Lumines would be my pick of the lot, then if I add in Uncharted that still works out less then GAME. You lose the pre-order gift that GAME offer though, but I can live without :p

I've pre-ordered though Amazon - I've had it down ever since the listing appeared, and crossed my fingers that they'd put together a decent bundle...which they have. I don't trust Game with any pre-orders any more, and their recent financial woes certainly won't convince me to go back.

I've got ordered:
Vita WiFi, Uncharted, Lumines, Wipeout, 16GB & 8GB card. I'll probably sell the 8GB card.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Yep, I settled on Amazon too. Pre-ordered a wifi Vita /8GB memory card, Lumines, and Uncharted. I really hope it comes on release date, the 22nd falls on one of my days off :D Probably will have to wait till past midday for delivery though...I was thinking about adding another game, but I'll see how it goes.

User accounts are tied to memory sticks and systems though. So you can't use that 4gb card as you would a spare PSP memory card. Hopefully they address that!

Word of warning about Game. They take more preorders than stock so even if you preorder you'll need to get there early to pick it up (or have preordered online earlier).

Ah didn't know that. I was thinking about adding another memory card to my Amazon bundle, but guess it won't be necessary. I might trade in my 8GB towards a 16GB then.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've gone overboard and now my PS Vita day will consist of

PS Vita 3G
16gb mem card
Uncharted
Army Corps of Hell
Ridge Racer (was only €15)
Wipeout 2048
Lumines
Little Deviants
Rayman Origins
Ultimate Marvel v Capcom
BazBlue standard edition

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I 've preordered several consoles from them in store and never had a problem. I always end up going at the end of the day after work and they always have them set aside in the back stock room.

----------

I had originally preordered with GAME and put down a £25 deposit. I got the preorder pack from which I've already redeemed the code. I've decided however to switch my preorder to Amazon as they have much better bundle deals and the fact that GAME doesn't even have bundle with the 3G model yet. I'll probably use the £25 deposit towards a game in store.

I've actually got preorder stuff from four different retailers.

Amazon:
3G Vita
8GB memory card
Virtua Tennis
Lumines.

Videogamesplus.ca ( in Canada ):
Modnation Racers
Hot Shots Golf
32GB memory card

Play-Asia:
Gravity Rush ( Asian version )

GAME in store:
Uncharted with £25 initial deposit and payment on top.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'll pick one up in a year or two when the price has dropped and there are games out for it that I'm interested in. Nothing ever launches with some kind of medieval fantasy RPG or puzzle game to accompany it :mad:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I'll pick one up in a year or two when the price has dropped and there are games out for it that I'm interested in. Nothing ever launches with some kind of medieval fantasy RPG or puzzle game to accompany it :mad:

It is launching with puzzle games. There is Lumines and Escape Plan. There is also a fantasy RPG in the form of Dungeon Alliance. Admittedly Dungeon Alliance is not that great but the other two should be. Warriors Lair which is another RPG is out in 2-3 months. That one looks really good. It's only a matter of time and I'm sure before the end of the year there will be more.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It is launching with puzzle games. There is Lumines and Escape Plan. There is also a fantasy RPG in the form of Dungeon Alliance. Admittedly Dungeon Alliance is not that great but the other two should be. Warriors Lair which is another RPG is out in 2-3 months. That one looks really good. It's only a matter of time and I'm sure before the end of the year there will be more.

Dungeon Alliance is an ok game, but very very overpriced. On PSN (or should that be SEN now) its €8.99 for PS3. The exact same game as on the Vita and yet they want me to pay €39.99 for it on a vita cart? It's silly. It should have been a $20/€20 game tops.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Ugh, predictable. SCEE will do the same. This is exactly why I'm keeping my launch PSP kicking around for when I do want to play some older titles - including PSone which doesn't work on Vita either.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
^Are you sure about that...I've seen people remote playing PS1 games so I'm guessing PS1 games will be avail. on PSN/SEN or I might be wrong.

I'm seeing a lot of bitching on blogs about the UMD program not being offered in the U.S....is it really that important? I'm getting the vita for new games and the PSN/SEN gems so I care not.

Bless

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm seeing a lot of bitching on blogs about the UMD program not being offered in the U.S....is it really that important? I'm getting the vita for new games and the PSN/SEN gems so I care not.
I think it's more an annoyance that a useful sounding system isn't being offered worldwide. In the age of handheld consoles being disposable (thanks a lot, mobile phones) it's probably a good idea to be as welcoming as possible. Look at the frosty reception the 3DS had until they bent over backwards for gamers.

Ugh, predictable. SCEE will do the same. This is exactly why I'm keeping my launch PSP kicking around for when I do want to play some older titles - including PSone which doesn't work on Vita either.
I've no doubt PS1 games will eventually be playable on Vita. It makes no sense to not offer them.
Infact I recon they'll go further and release cheap, downloadable PS2 games in the same way.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008

Wait, what?! :eek:What about via Remote Play? The PSP handled it just fine, so surely the Vita can:eek: I've got Final Fantasy 7,8 & 9 on my PS3 which I was hoping to run through again.

edit: youtube confirmed remote play should be fine :)

I've noticed videos of the Vita running PS3 games via remote play, I'm thinking CFW? That would be awesome, one of the best things about the original PSP was running CFW :)

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Wait, what?! :eek:What about via Remote Play? The PSP handled it just fine, so surely the Vita can:eek: I've got Final Fantasy 7,8 & 9 on my PS3 which I was hoping to run through again.

edit: youtube confirmed remote play should be fine :)

I've noticed videos of the Vita running PS3 games via remote play, I'm thinking CFW? That would be awesome, one of the best things about the original PSP was running CFW :)

Remote play works on the Vita with PS One games. They don't work directly on the Vita at the moment but the general consensus is that Sony will offer an update that will enable that in the future. I'm not sure if Sony themselves have actually confirmed this to be the case.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

The problem is lag.

Sony is promising in future to offer a new firmware making more PS3 titles compatible (they did once say all ps3 games) and what this will do is allow you to scale down the image quality and resolution so that they will stream to the vita with less lag.

It's the same problem that affects iPad 2 mirroring to Apple TV's. There is often a lag or stuttering which ruins the whole point. The iPhone 4S when doing same is less stuttery, I assume because of the lower resolution being streamed to the device.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
You guys beat me to it, but yes, direct play of PSone games currently doesn't work on the Vita - remote play will, but we all know that's a hassle and not exactly something you can do on the bus. So basically, I count it as not being able to play PSone games...

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I almost hesitate to ask this but did anyone (in the US) happen to pre-order at Best Buy? I pre-ordered a month or so ago. It's for the First Edition Bundle which, admittedly, has a lot of cruft I'm not particularly interested in. (4GB mem card? Seriously? And I'm not particularly needy of the 3G model since I have a MiFi at my disposal.) However it does come out a week early...

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I almost hesitate to ask this but did anyone (in the US) happen to pre-order at Best Buy? I pre-ordered a month or so ago. It's for the First Edition Bundle which, admittedly, has a lot of cruft I'm not particularly interested in. (4GB mem card? Seriously? And I'm not particularly needy of the 3G model since I have a MiFi at my disposal.) However it does come out a week early...

I don't know about here but on the Official US Playstation forum there are a lot of people who pre-ordered the first edition bundle some from Best Buy.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyone find any info about battery life of both models ?

It would be interesting to see if the Cellular 3G/GPS has different battery life to the Wifi version.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
And now it turns out that not all PSP/PSN games will run on the Vita.

This is most annoying. The start of the consoles life is exactly when you do need legacy support. When you have 1-2 new games and 12,000 old ones. I really hope they sort this out. Every modern console machine should support all its most recent predecessors games.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
And now it turns out that not all PSP/PSN games will run on the Vita.

This is most annoying. The start of the consoles life is exactly when you do need legacy support. When you have 1-2 new games and 12,000 old ones. I really hope they sort this out. Every modern console machine should support all its most recent predecessors games.

That is typical for an early adopter, most of us are used to it. If you don't like it then maybe wait a bit to get it once its more established. Being a early adopter isn't cheap and sometimes has its drawbacks.

As far as legacy support, I never have cared either way if it had it. I buy a new system for the new games. I still have my PSP I can fall back on. I would bet its a matter of time before all those PSP/PS2/PS1 games are compatible, there is too much money to lose via PSN purchases if they don't.

I did order this, I'll likely have it early next week. It's basically 3 days from shipping to my door. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VLJS-4

Edit: quit your whining :p:eek:

Following yesterday's confirmation of no UMD Passport in the US, Sony's Playstation Blog has detailed how PSP game transfers to the Vita will work ahead of the portable consoles launch later this month. The tutorial confirms that PSP games can be purchased directly from the Vita via the corresponding storefront over Wi-Fi or if they are already purchased and stored on the PS3, they can be redownloaded to the Vita from the console at no additional charge.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 9th, 2012 at 3:59 pm said:
Just to be clear – this is the initial list. It is by no means final. So for you (and others below) clamoring for X title, you should not think that just because you don’t see it here today doesn’t mean it’s not going to be here soon.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/02/09-1/sony-details-psp-to-vita-game-transfers#comments

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/09/how-to-download-psp-titles-to-ps-vita/

Fate and Persona are in there, thats all I really care about :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.